monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:54 am
Also, I think using the bathroom should be something allowed by all businesses that choose to operate in a city.

I'd be surprised if it was written into some business license rules.

Cities sell or lease public space to businesses, space that could otherwise be used (and used to be used) as public restrooms.

If businesses are going to start not allowing customers to use restrooms, then I expect my city to stop opening up so many businesses and put a public restroom on every other block.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:57 am
@ehBeth,
So you are an authority on coffee shop culture and Starbucks corporate policy?

My statement remains as is.

coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:59 am
@maporsche,
In San Francisco you can go anywhere. Why don't we just allow public urination and defecation like they do?

Problem solved. Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

So you are an authority on coffee shop culture and Starbucks corporate policy?

Starbucks corporate policy has no rules around bathroom use or loitering (their ad campaigns encourage loitering).

"A company spokesperson said Starbucks does not have a broad policy prohibiting people from using restrooms or sitting inside for free, allowing individual stores to set their own rules. "
http://time.com/5241671/starbucks-philadelphia-bathroom-rights/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:02 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I observe and I read.

nimh posted about coffee shop culture back on Abuzz - it's not like any of this is new.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think anyone anticipates that you would change your mind/view/statement.

Doesn't mean we won't respond for the benefit of others who might be reading along.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:05 am
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/the-starbucks-arrests-and-the-toll-of-routine-bias.html

Quote:
One patron who spoke with WPTI-TV confirmed that the incident began after the men were refused access to the restroom, but she claimed that the Starbucks manager did not ask the men to buy something or leave, and just called the police instead. She also said that she had seen a white woman obtain the code for the bathroom without buying something right before the men were arrested, and that during the incident, another person in the Starbucks announced that she had been sitting in the location for hours without purchasing anything.

The witness told WPTI-TV that the two men were just chatting quietly while they waited in the Starbucks, and that they remained calm during the entire ordeal. “These men were discriminated against and unjustly detained,” she asserted.
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:10 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
“These men were discriminated against and unjustly detained,

Where did this witness get their law degree or knowledge of policing techniques of the city?
maporsche

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:12 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
“These men were discriminated against and unjustly detained,

Where did this witness get their law degree or knowledge of policing techniques of the city?

I'll ask you this question next time something comes up in the Mueller investigation or any future legal issue you choose to opine on.
ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
this article from 2004 or 2005 is where my interest in $tarbucks policies started

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/features/12060/

I picked that issue up on my way to meet blatham, lola, walter, noddy, kickycan and others in nyc. learned a lot - put $tarbucks in my google news alerts. I've picked up a fair bit about them over the years - talking to younger colleagues who'd had time at $tarbucks university enroute to the corporate world added details.
ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:14 am
@maporsche,
The police apology certainly suggests that the article was correct to begin with.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:16 am
@revelette1,
Understood. But there are three very relevant points here:
1) it does not matter who the Dems put up for the election - folks on the right will operate in exactly the same manner towards that person. Recall the sewage and deceits they used to contest Obama (a guy about as clean, honest, smart, reflective and dignified as pretty much anyone who has risen to power in the west in my lifetime). It will be a pipeline of sewage and there is no uncertainty in that prediction at all.
2) I have no reason to doubt he would be highly competent in the post. That's important.
3) If Dems and Dem voters decide they ought not to forward any candidate who the right has attacked with ferocity, then the Dems and their voters are fucked.
Lash

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I’m just going to say that this narrative is full of lies.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:18 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Obama (a guy about as clean, honest, smart, reflective and dignified as pretty much anyone who has risen to power in the west in my lifetime)

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Now Starbucks with its left-wing management

$tarbucks is about as far from left-wing as it can get. which is probably why this issue is getting the coverage it is getting in right-wing American msm. Poor $tarbucks, so mistreated.

Your sjw dog-whistle is working.
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
$tarbucks is about as far from left-wing as it can get.

Starbucks said it would hire Muslim refugees before Americans. You don't get much further Left. Your claim is ridiculous.
Quote:
Starbucks Has a Response to President Trump's Immigration Ban: Hire 10,000 Refugees

Right wing bastards.
http://fortune.com/2017/01/29/donald-trump-muslim-ban-starbucks/
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:27 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
They love him as they think he'll bring about the end of the world.
And they really disapprove of anyone who won't bring about the End Times. Just one reason I admire them so much.

But serious question, Do you actually see that sentiment expressed so explicitly and often?
Lash

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:29 am
I think the lefty tag sticks pretty well to Starbucks.

I ADORE their tuition program and their awesome healthcare for baristas.

I think they’re a great model of how to take care of their employees.

Very competitive for parttime employees: https://www.starbucks.com/careers/working-at-starbucks
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:32 am
@blatham,
pretty much

it's one of the reasons I keep up that alternate account. I don't see things like that in my rl circle.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:32 am
@blatham,
Quote:
And they really disapprove of anyone who won't bring about the End Times.

They do not have that right? Do you think before you say things like that? Your selective, divisive, choices of who or who can't complain or dislike something only shows the intolerance of the progressive Left.

So, thanks.
0 Replies