monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 09:11 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
“The GOP’s only hope is the president,” said Tony Perkins, the president of the socially conservative Family Research Council, which is active in 15,000 churches across the country.

Is this an answer to my post, it does not matter. Anyway these Christians are organized and plan to vote. They want to work within our laws and systems. Another religion wants to live in a dual legal system. Guess who they are voting for, it is not Trump.

Which one should you worry about?
0 Replies

Builder

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 12:19 am
Interesting interview between Comey and our Leigh Sales.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/former-fbi-director-james-comey-talks-to-leigh/9677812
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 05:25 am
This is very interesting
Quote:
Nobody Likes Trump Except White Evangelicals
...Trump’s favorability ratio among white evangelicals now, says PRRI, is 75-22, as compared to 42-54 among the American population generally. And his popularity is just insanely high among men (81 percent) and the non-college-educated (78 percent) within the white Evangelical universe.

Staring at these numbers, I got to thinking: I bet if you take white Evangelicals out of the picture, Trump’s standing with the rest of the population is really low. So I emailed the PRRI, and got the non-white-Evangelical numbers from the very same poll.

They’re pretty compelling. Among Americans who are not self-identified white Evangelicals, Trump’s favorability ratio is 36-60, with 41 percent expressing very unfavorable views of the president. Among women who are not white Evangelicals, the ratio is 29-69, with about half — 49 percent — harboring a very unfavorable view of Trump. How about college-educated Americans who aren’t white Evangelicals? Trump’s at 32-65, with 47 percent holding a very unfavorable opinion of him. And outside the ranks of the white Evangelicals, even non-college-educated Americans have a dim view of the MAGA man, disliking him by a 39-58 margin (this obviously includes minority folks), though a mere 38 percent dislike him strongly.

...That’s a different way of looking at it, isn’t it? Trump-disparagers aren’t necessarily elite, aren’t necessarily secular, and aren’t necessarily minorities, either. What they most have in common is that by and large they do not identify with religious communities where the Bible is regarded as the literal, inerrant truth about all of its content; where it’s taken for granted that abortion is murder and that homosexuality is an offense to God; and where servant-leader men walk tall and women know their subordinate place; and where white folks try to exhibit some rhythm while singing folk and soft-rock songs about Jesus. Yes, there are anti-Trump people in white Evangelical circles and pro-Trump people elsewhere, but the patterns don’t follow the conservative meme of the Trumpian masses versus the anti-Trumpian classes, at all.
Ed Kilgore
blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 06:25 am
Quote:
Fox contributor Kevin Jackson: The “cult of social justice warrior” forced an “isolated incident that never should have seen the light of day” into getting “national attention.”
MM

I really despise people who strive for social justice.
blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 06:38 am
A
Quote:
wide array of House and Senate Republicans are not yet ready to endorse President Donald Trump’s bid for a second term, a reflection of the deep uncertainty on Capitol Hill over his political standing amid growing problems at home and abroad.

In interviews with a cross-section of more than two dozen GOP lawmakers, ranging from rank-and-file members, conservatives and party leaders, many refused to say they’d back Trump’s re-election bid — a surprise declaration given that members of Congress are typically quick to endorse sitting presidents of their own party without hesitation. Hardly any would offer a categorical endorsement of the President.
CNN
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 06:59 am
@blatham,
Commentator Horace Cooper also implied that Starbucks’ racial bias training constitutes a “violation of Title VII” of the Civil Rights Act.
blatham

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 07:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah. He's a real winner, that fellow. He's a senior fellow at the Heartland Institute, a "think tank" connected to ALEC and the Koch crowd.
Quote:
In the 1990s, the Heartland Institute worked with the tobacco company Philip Morris to question or deny the health risks of secondhand smoke and to lobby against smoking bans.[2][3]:233–34[4] In the decade after 2000, the Heartland Institute became a leading supporter of climate change denial.[5][6] It rejects the scientific consensus on global warming,[7] and says that policies to fight it would be damaging to the economy.[8]
wikipedia
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 08:11 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Pressed by MSNBC's Chris Hayes on the air this week about a possible presidential campaign in 2020, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder conceded, "Yeah, I'm thinking about it."

We would have to live "fast and furious" all over again. Other than that, yeah, he would make a good President. I just don't think he would ever make it. For the next Presidential election, I would much prefer someone without built in targets for the rabid right going in. I am not in a hurry to relive 2016 again in my lifetime.
revelette1

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 09:07 am
Ex-Forbes reporter says Trump lied to him to embellish wealth (CNN)

Quote:
A former Forbes reporter claims that Donald Trump, before he was president, pretended to be a spokesman on his own behalf and then lied about his wealth in order to crack the Forbes 400 list.

"He figured out what he had to do in order to deceive me and get onto that list. And he did it very well. And he maintained that persona of just sort of talking about his assets without any sense of debt and lying about it,"
Jonathan Greenberg said in an interview Friday on CNN's "New Day."

Greenberg broke the news in a Washington Post story. He wrote that when he was compiling the magazine's list of the richest people in America in the 80s, Trump had called him posing as "John Barron," a purported executive with The Trump Organization.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 09:25 am
@blatham,
Those end-timers really go crazy for #45. I see it on my alt FB page regularly. Vomitous.

They love him as they think he'll bring about the end of the world.
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:06 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
They love him as they think he'll bring about the end of the world.

The guy running Iran is a Twelver, they want the end of the world too. I think they are doing much more to hurry things up than Trump will ever do.

Wally can explain Twelvers,( I could also) tell him not to forget the Madhi hiding in a cave somewhere.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:14 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbLTpksU8AA-xlG.jpg:large

https://100percentfedup.com/conservative-actor-james-woods-destroys-ny-gov-andrew-cuomos-i-am-a-muslimi-am-a-jewi-am-blacki-am-gayi-am-a-woman-speech-in-3-briliant-t/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:22 am
@blatham,
The two men involved came into the store, apparently to conduct a meeting of some sort. At some point, they asked for the security code for the restroom (hardly a ringing endorsement of the quality of life in Philly). It is corporate policy that you don't get to use their restroom if you don't buy their products. Likewise, you can't sit in the shop all day without buying products. It's a retail coffee shop, not a public lounge.

The two men repeatedly refused to buy any products and so the manager asked them to leave. They, of course, refused as they have a right to take up space in any retail establishment they care to impose upon. She told them that if they didn't leave, she would call the police. They were defiant and still refused to leave or buy a lousy cup of coffee.

When the police came they attempted to persuade the two men to leave with no success and so they were forced to arrest them for trespassing which is what they were guilty of.

By all accounts, the shop's manager is something of a social justice warrior herself and it must have been a tough track to take for her, but she was complying with corporate policy. Black patrons of the shop have been interviewed and I have yet to see any account of previous obvious bias at the shop.

There is absolutely no reason to believe the same thing would not have happened if the trespassers were white. What would not have happened if they were was for spineless Starbucks to shut down all of their shops, nationwide, to impose a mandatory race relations training session. What also would not have happened is the firestorm of outrage and condemnation directed against Starbucks.

So what is Starbucks doing now? Altering their policy so that while white vagrants and deadbeats cannot remain in a shop and use its facilities (good policy) black versions will be permitted to do so? I hope not but considering their weak-kneed reaction to this kerfuffle, I can imagine a profit-driven decision to do precisely this. Two sobs taking up space and not buying anything will hurt the bottom line a lot less than having them removed from the store...if the sobs are black and not white.

This is social justice? Only if you think that because of the historical oppression of blacks in America that blacks in 2018 deserve extra-special treatment, even if their conduct is unjustified and possibly illegal.

Now Starbucks with its left-wing management is being castigated by the army of social justice warriors. Delightful!

Keep eating your own!

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The two men repeatedly refused to buy any products and so the manager asked them to leave.

it was two minutes from the time they arrived in the $tarbucks until the police were called

not much time for all the activity you claim

have you watched the video?
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:31 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
it was two minutes from the time they arrived in the $tarbucks

How do you know she would not have done they same thing to two white men?

Allow me, you don't know, but if the policy says that, why not? It is clear it was part of her job.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There is absolutely no reason to believe the same thing would not have happened if the trespassers were white.

there are white people sitting in $tarbucks not eating/not drinkíng/not buying every day

it's coffee shop culture in much of North America and Europe - it's the norm
__

the most interesting part of the whole thing for me so far was that the police officer who apologized for the whole stupid thing is black himself and didn't know about the custom of people going to $tarbucks to hang out for hours at a time. I suspect it's because he is black - only non-POC seem to know it / accept it as a standard behaviour.
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:34 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

there are white people sitting in $tarbucks not eating/not drinkíng/not buying every day

Can you prove that? I doubt it, why say it?
maporsche

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:41 am
@coldjoint,
I'm one of them. I go there for their free wifi all the time. The longest I've stayed in a Starbucks is about 45 minutes in between meetings on the road.

I hate coffee and haven't touched a cup in 20 years.

My girlfriend works from coffee shops probably 3 out of 5 days a week. She usually buys one cup of coffee and then proceeds to spend 4-6 hours there doing business on the computer and on the phone.

You guys must not live in cities; this is VERY MUCH a common thing.

The thing is, Starbucks usually welcomes this. It's treated and touted as common meeting place. This is good for their business. I have a friend that works at Starbucks HQ in Seattle and one of their main goals is to get more people to stay there longer.

Article from 2009 talking about how Starbucks wants to be your third office.
Starbucks: Stay as long as you want
https://www.cnet.com/news/starbucks-stay-as-long-as-you-want/
coldjoint

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:54 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Article from 2009

Nothing has changed since 2009? Hasn't the store policy been explained? It has been, they say you cannot use the bathroom without purchasing something. Your examples mean 0 concerning this incident.

You and others have already condemned this manager as a racist,(with 0 proof) that is the whole purpose for you, right? Nothing like more division.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
There is absolutely no way for what has been claimed to have happened in two minutes. Videos can be altered you know and in this case, someone overdid it.
0 Replies