monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:39 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON — A barrage of missiles in Syria by American, French and British forces most likely will not stop President Bashar al-Assad’s chemical weapons program, a Pentagon assessment has concluded, despite President Trump’s “Mission Accomplished!” declaration hours after last weekend’s strikes.

The military intelligence report, put out less than three days after the attack, said the allied airstrikes likely set back Mr. Assad’s production of sarin gas.

But it found that the Syrian president is expected to continue researching and developing chemical weapons for potential future use, according to an American intelligence analyst who has seen the document and described it to The New York Times on the condition of anonymity.

"They do retain a residual capability” to produce chemical weapons, Lt. Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., the Joint Staff director, said on Thursday of the Syrian government. He said the chemical weapons are “spread through the country.”

NYT
oralloy

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 03:34 pm
@revelette1,
If we want to truly hit Assad where it hurts, we need to make the UN Security Council refer the Syrian War to the International Criminal Court.
oralloy

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 03:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Maybe because it removed a strongman who after Reagan almost blew his ass off was content with oppressing just his people.

Except he wasn't. He massacred a bunch of American college students in the Pan Am 103 Lockerbie bombing.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Now we have another failed state where terrorists can thrive.

Not ideal, but still a sizable improvement over the previous situation.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I hardly mourn Moammar (although no one should die as he did),

I think his death was appropriate for his crimes. If anything I'd like for him to have died an even more horrible death.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
but since Obama and Clinton weren't prepared to replace him with a democratic reformer, the intervention was all for show and led to the terrible tragedy of Benghazi.

We should have had better security for the ambassador and his staff. But that's not a reason to deny justice to the victims of Pan Am 103.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 04:22 pm
@oralloy,
Lockerbie was before Reagan got his attention
revelette1

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 04:23 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If we want to truly hit Assad where it hurts, we need to make the UN Security Council refer the Syrian War to the International Criminal Court

Not a bad idea, if only the security counsel would agree. Highly doubtful Russia and China would.
oralloy

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 05:17 pm
@revelette1,
I think China would go along with it.

We should use each of these atrocities to build a strong international consensus for sanctions against Russia and Syria until the UN Security Council refers the Syrian War to the International Criminal Court.
oralloy

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 05:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Lockerbie was before Reagan got his attention

The bombing of Libya was April 1986:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_United_States_bombing_of_Libya

Lockerbie was December 1988:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 05:55 pm
@oralloy,
I'd love to see that. Can't imagine it working but I still love it.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:01 pm
I see Rudy has joined Trump's team. That will change everything.
coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:08 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
That will change everything.

Elaborate, or hasn't somebody told you what it will change yet?
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:13 pm
Swamp-draining notes from all over:

Quote:
"A group of Colorado homebuilders paid for a luxury hotel stay last fall for EPA chief Scott Pruitt, eight months after the Trump administration began work on a major priority for their industry by unwinding an Obama-era wetlands regulation."
Politico

0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:16 pm
@blatham,
I'm super-stoked about this. Rudy + Kushner + NJ = the super trouble combo
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:19 pm
Quote:
In closed-door meetings at the United Nations in March, Trump administration officials pushed socially conservative views on women's rights issues -- including abstinence-based policies over information about contraception -- that were further to the right than those expressed by most other countries present, including Russia and the representative for the Arab states, UN officials who attended the meetings told BuzzFeed News.

The Trump officials' approach at the UN meeting makes it clear that the administration intends to extend its views on abortion, contraception, and sexual education beyond US borders to an extent that is unusual even for Republican administrations.
BuzzFeed

I think we know that the "abstinence" thing comes from Trump. "Abstinence" has long been his personal motto.

But aside from that, what's being pushed here tells us about the influence of the religious right eextremists in this administration and in the modern GOP.
blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:25 pm
Steve Benen notes:
Quote:
Pressed by MSNBC's Chris Hayes on the air this week about a possible presidential campaign in 2020, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder conceded, "Yeah, I'm thinking about it."

I'm hoping for a qualified female but I'd sure support this guy. The right will go nuts in the predictable way if he is a candidate but they're going to go nuts regardless because that's the way they roll
coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:25 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
religious right eextremists

It is extreme to teach kids not having sex is OK? People are sickos.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:34 pm
Only the best people
Quote:
Vox Sentences: NASA’s new director may “care about space” but doesn’t think humans cause climate change
Vox
oralloy

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:35 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Steve Benen notes:
Quote:
Pressed by MSNBC's Chris Hayes on the air this week about a possible presidential campaign in 2020, former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder conceded, "Yeah, I'm thinking about it."

I'm hoping for a qualified female but I'd sure support this guy. The right will go nuts in the predictable way if he is a candidate but they're going to go nuts regardless because that's the way they roll

The Democratic nominee isn't really going to matter for the next four presidential elections, so long as they are capable of delivering an eloquent concession speech.

I'd like to see the Democrats nominate someone who doesn't hate the Second Amendment. But as I said it doesn't really matter.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:42 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Vox Sentences: NASA’s new director may “care about space” but doesn’t think humans cause climate change

And how would the affect his job? Space does not have our climate. Like usual holding what someones believes against them because you disagree. There are plenty of arguments debunking global warning.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 07:59 pm
This might put Islam in the news.
Quote:
Michigan Candidate for Governor – “Brave Enough to Stand Against Sharia”

Quote:
https://counterjihadnews.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/2018-candidate-pledge-1.jpg?w=584&h=550

He signed it.
Quote:
In a world that nearly demands “Political Correctness”, what politician would make statements that they understand the dangers of Sharia crimes; will take steps to educate their administration, the law enforcement under their jurisdiction, and anyone who is charged with handling abused women & minors or adjudicating laws affecting them? Wouldn’t that be a step that could hurt their elect-ability? If you side with “Political Correctness”, you would probably agree. Those of us that have raised the flag of concern, asked the hard questions of our candidates, and demanded they know the threats from Sharia are real would applaud whoever this candidate is, stand with them and push for that candidate’s election!

https://counterjihadreport.com/2018/04/19/michigan-candidate-for-governor-brave-enough-to-stand-against-sharia/
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 19 Apr, 2018 08:29 pm
Quote:
Conservatives turn to Trump for cover as 2018 outlook deteriorates

Conservative leaders, increasingly worried about a challenging 2018 campaign, are intensifying their appeals to evangelical voters frustrated with Washington, warning that failure to support GOP lawmakers in November will imperil Donald Trump and his agenda.

In churches and email solicitations, through voter guides and major conferences, organizations that target Christian conservative voters plan to argue at every turn that the success of Trump’s presidency — and potentially, its very existence — is on the line this year.

“The GOP’s only hope is the president,” said Tony Perkins, the president of the socially conservative Family Research Council, which is active in 15,000 churches across the country.
McClatchy

"Frustrated with Washington"? When Republicans hold both houses and the WH and have a majority in the SC? And a lot of very, very stupid people will imagine that Tony Perkins is making sense because they've been trained to think in a certain way about "government" and because the core of their mental universe is victimhood.

On the other hand, though, who better to represent Jesus than Donald Trump.