monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

thack45

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:

“With all due respect, I don’t get confused” -UN Ambassador Nikki Haley in statement responding to WH claims she got “ahead of the curve” on Trump’s Russia sanctions reversal

That sounds an awful lot like disloyalty...
blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Years ago, I got entranced for a while watching videos of Russian police behaving like Russian police apparently behave. Hells Angels style beatings were a common feature.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:03 pm
@thack45,
I think it sounds a lot like someone protecting her long-term career plan.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Clearly, Trump's tweets have no value whatsoever other than providing a sort of sad, black humor and in giving historians and psychologists a day by day account of how a con man operates.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:09 pm
@ehBeth,
That can't be a real tweet from her???
ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:10 pm
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/larry-kudlow-nikki-haley

Quote:
LARRY KUDLOW KNIFES NIKKI HALEY IN FINAL STAGE OF WHITE HOUSE GANG INITIATION

The White House’s top economic adviser tried, and failed, to pin the blame for Trump’s Russian love affair on the U.N. ambassador.

Quote:
Elsewhere, Kudlow also:

Said that no one should listen to the report released by the Congressional Budget Office last week detailing the exploding deficits we can expect due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, telling Fox & Friends, “Never believe the C.B.O. Very important: Never believe them. They’re always wrong, especially with regard to tax cuts”;

Claimed that we’re “in early stages of an economic boom” (the expansion actually started nine years ago and experts say we’re due for a recession); and

Characterized Trump’s trade war with China as more of a “trade dispute.” (On Tuesday, Beijing hit American farmers with a temporary 179 percent tariff on sorghum, a grain used to feed livestock, a move the president’s economic advisers claimed as recently as last month would never happen.)

All in all it was another top-notch day at the office for Big Lar, rounded out by a stark reminder that the guy has little to no idea what he’s talking about at any given moment

ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:12 pm
@blatham,
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/world/europe/trump-nikki-haley-russia-sanctions.html

Quote:
Nikki R. Haley, the ambassador to the United Nations, fired back at the White House on Tuesday, denying that she had been confused when she announced on Sunday that the Trump administration would impose new sanctions on Russia.

“With all due respect, I don’t get confused,” she told Dana Perino of Fox News.
blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Good for her. Unless the implication was that some reporter(s) were making false claims rather than pointing to internal WH disorganization.
blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:16 pm
@ehBeth,
The very best people. Kudlow, for the love of god.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:20 pm
@blatham,
Her comment was in response to a question about what Big Lar said. It's on the WH, not the media.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you. That's a brave step. Up the road a bit, I have little doubt that such comments from Republicans will be much more common and much stronger but at this point, there are just a handful of honest Rs. And his base is still with him.
ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
And his base is still with him.

just off the phone from a call with my dad. The death of Barbara Bush (RIP), the tariffs by China, and the #45 base made it into the conversation. Love that he's still so engaged with politics (and wish he'd come back here and post again).
oralloy

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:26 pm
@oralloy,
Former first lady Barbara Bush dies at age 92

http://apnews.com/26296df048a042acbb7b600d5885ed82/Former-first-lady-Barbara-Bush-dies-at-age-92
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:26 pm
@ehBeth,
and just because

one of my favourite recent media goof-ups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYQ3_o_VoAElu0f.jpg:large

one LK is the same as another
0 Replies

roger

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:28 pm
@ehBeth,
So do I. On economics, I had more respect for him than anyone else we both might know.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. He was always a smart, funny and likable fellow.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
“Never believe the C.B.O. . ."

Actually, I've a high regard for the CBO. It's the GAO that has to read what the administration thinks before it can issue an opinion.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:42 pm
This is interesting as a sign of where Rubio thinks things will go for Republicans in the future.
Quote:
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) has hired a powerful firebrand conservative to be his new chief of staff, a sign he wants to renew his position on the right with an eye on his political future.

Rubio announced Tuesday afternoon that he was bringing on Michael Needham, until recently the head of the powerful Heritage Action for America, to run his Senate office.

That’s a somewhat surprising pairing, given Rubio’s establishment-leaning reputation. Needham has long been a thorn in the side of GOP leaders, cheerleading for the 2013 government shutdown and rabble-rousing against congressional Republicans from the right on a host of issues throughout his career.
TPM

Heritage Action is a fairly recent creation. It's about as extreme as it gets in the think tank/activist universe. It was begun with a half million dollar donation from the Koch's.

Rubio is not stupid, politically speaking, in aligning himself with this crowd. It is now the power center of the American right and the GOP.
coldjoint

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 06:46 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
It was begun with a half million dollar donation from the Koch's.

Would you like to talk about the money Soros and Islamists have put in to the subversive and violent groups progressives support?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 17 Apr, 2018 07:14 pm
Quote:
The McCabe Report is Just an Appetizer

Or tip of the iceberg.
Quote:
As of this writing, it is unclear exactly what the scope of the inspector general’s inquiries will be.

Speaking for myself, I hope the dessert course includes a close look at the January 5, 2017 meeting at the White House meeting at which President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, NSA director Susan “By the Book” Rice, and Acting Attorney General Sally “Insubordinate” Yates were briefed by the country’s chief spooks—former FBI director James “Higher Loyalty” Comey, NSA chief Michael Rogers, CIA chief John “I Voted for Gus Hall” Brennan, and James Clapper, the former director of National Intelligence who delighted the television audiences everywhere when he instructed Congress that the Muslim Brotherhood was “a largely secular organization” that had “eschewed violence.” The country was in the very best of hands back then! What was the subject? Exactly what they were and were not going to tell the incoming administration about the ongoing investigation into possible Russian intervention in the 2016 presidential election? The “knotty question,” as Andrew McCarthy put it in a searing column on the event, was how to “engage” the incoming administration while also keeping them in the dark. Amazing.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/04/17/the-mccabe-report-is-just-an-appetizer/
0 Replies