monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 04:30 pm
I do recommend this piece by Jon Chait
Quote:
Scott Pruitt’s Scandals Won’t Stop Coming, and Trump Might Actually Have to Fire Him [Updated]
Chait
I have yet to see good reporting on exactly who are serving as Pruitt supporters in or around this WH. If anyone sees such reporting, please let me know.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 05:22 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Sanders on an assault weapons ban (he's for it)
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-guns_us_5a89ad60e4b004fc31934edb

The website Progressive.org is also for an assault weapons ban.
http://progressive.org/op-eds/lets-ban-assault-weapons-altogether-180308/

Kamala Harris is for an AWB.
JILL STEIN is for an AWB.

In other words, liberals like to violate people's civil rights for fun.

Voting for Republicans will prevent liberals from violating our civil rights for fun.
Blickers

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
In other words, liberals like to violate people's civil rights for fun.

Voting for Republicans will prevent liberals from violating our civil rights for fun.

A class of weapons can be made illegal without violating the Second Amendment. Rocket launchers, ICBMs and machine guns are illegal yet the Second Amendment remains unviolated. No reason a semi-automatic rifle with a clip adaptable to fire many many rounds cannot be made illegal.

Voting Republican will ensure that mothers and grandmothers will have to keep worrying that their school age loved ones will fall victim to yet another tragic shooting by an AR-15 style weapon.
oralloy

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 06:33 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
A class of weapons can be made illegal without violating the Second Amendment.

ONLY if that restriction can be justified as having a good reason.

Blickers wrote:
Rocket launchers, ICBMs and machine guns are illegal yet the Second Amendment remains unviolated.

Such restrictions can be justified as having a good reason.

Blickers wrote:
No reason a semi-automatic rifle with a clip adaptable to fire many many rounds cannot be made illegal.

That is incorrect. Restrictions on magazine size (within limits) may well be justifiable, but there is no justification for banning assault weapons.

Blickers wrote:
Voting Republican will ensure that mothers and grandmothers will have to keep worrying that their school age loved ones will fall victim to yet another tragic shooting by an AR-15 style weapon.

If these people have a phobia about pistol grips, they should see a psychiatrist.
Blickers

Thu 5 Apr, 2018 11:52 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Restrictions on magazine size (within limits) may well be justifiable, but there is no justification for banning assault weapons.

This is a switch. So you finally admit that the AR-15 and similar guns are assault weapons. Previously most pro-gun people went out of their way to evince astonishment that anyone would think there was any connections between assault weapons and AR-15s.
izzythepush

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 01:27 am
Quote:
South Korea's former President Park Geun-hye has been sentenced to 24 years in jail after she was found guilty of abuse of power and coercion.

The verdict was broadcast live and represents the culmination of a scandal which rocked the country, fuelling rage against political and business elites.

Ms Park, who was also fined 18bn won (£12m, $17m), faced a string of corruption charges.

The former leader was not in court on Friday for the verdict.

She has boycotted her trial hearings and has previously accused the courts of being biased against her. She has also denied all wrongdoing.

The move by the authorities to allow Friday's verdict to be broadcast live was unprecedented, but they cited extraordinary public interest in the case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43666134
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 02:32 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
This is a switch. So you finally admit that the AR-15 and similar guns are assault weapons. Previously most pro-gun people went out of their way to evince astonishment that anyone would think there was any connections between assault weapons and AR-15s.

There is no such switch. An assault weapon is just an ordinary gun with a pistol grip on it. I have always acknowledged that the AR-15 was such a gun.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 05:06 am
The Conspiracy Theory That Says Trump Is a Genius
Quote:
Last week Roseanne Barr — who, with the hit reboot of her show, has become one of the most prominent Donald Trump supporters in the country — tweeted that the president has freed hundreds of children a month from sexual bondage. “He has broken up trafficking rings in high places everywhere,” she wrote. (The tweet has since been deleted.)

Barr’s tweet, puzzling to the casual observer, was a reference to QAnon, an expansive, complicated pro-Trump conspiracy theory. The theory is fascinating as an artifact of our current political derangement, but more than that, it’s profoundly revealing about the lengths to which some Trump supporters will go to convince themselves that his presidency is going well.

As Paris Martineau explained in New York Magazine, QAnon was born last October, when someone claiming to have “Q” level security clearance started a cryptic thread on 4chan, the online message board and troll playground. It was titled, “The Calm Before the Storm,” a phrase Trump had recently used. Q posted hints, some in the form of questions, ostensibly meant to help clued-in Trump supporters understand what was really going on in Washington beneath the facade of chaos and incompetence. (“What is military intelligence? Why go around the 3 letter agencies?”)

From these clues, a sprawling community on message boards, YouTube videos and Twitter accounts has elaborated an enormous, ever-mutating fantasy narrative about the Trump presidency. In the QAnon reality, Trump only pretended to collude with Russia in order to create a pretext for the hiring of Robert Mueller, the special counsel, who is actually working with Trump to take down an inconceivably evil and powerful network of coup-plotters and child sex traffickers that includes Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and George Soros.

“QAnon points out that this is the beginning of the end for the Clintons,” said Jerome Corsi — a prominent proponent of the lie that Obama was born in Kenya — on a YouTube broadcast in January. He warned that the world would be forced to contend with “films of innocent children pleading for their lives while people are butchering them.” Once that happens, presumably, Trump will be revealed as a master of 12-dimensional chess who successfully distracted smirking elites with his buffoonery while he was quietly saving the world.

Posts on other websites, as well as YouTube videos, Twitter accounts and even a book, have taken the theory in countless directions, encompassing characters from the model Chrissy Teigen to disgraced politician Anthony Weiner. The creativity poured into QAnon is striking; it’s like something between a sprawling work of crowdsourced postmodern fiction and an immersive role-playing game.

But for many people, QAnon is very real. Barr has tried to make contact with Q on Twitter. InfoWars, the website run by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones — who has a close relationship with Trump confidant Roger Stone — has consistently promoted it. Last month, Cheryl Sullenger, senior vice president of the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue, posted an article on the group’s website about an “intel drop” from Q revealing a White House plan to end Planned Parenthood. Sean Hannity retweeted a post with the #QAnon hashtag.

Some elements of the QAnon conspiracy theory — secret elites, kidnapped children — are classic, even archetypical. “In all Western culture, you can argue that all conspiracy theories, no matter how diverse, come from the idea of the Jews abducting children,” Chip Berlet, the co-author of “Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort,” told me. Stories about globalists stealing children for sex aren’t that far removed from stories about Jews stealing children to use their blood making matzo.

One twist, however, makes QAnon unusual. Conspiracy theories are usually about evil cabals manipulating world events. QAnon, by contrast, is a conspiracy theory in which the good guys — in this case, Trump and his allies — are in charge. It’s a dream of power rather than a bitter alibi for victimhood. It seems designed to cope with the cognitive dissonance caused by the gap between Trump as his faithful followers like to imagine him, and Trump as he is.

On Thursday, the usually even-keeled Mike Allen published a piece in Axios titled, “The case for extreme worry,” about how those close to Trump are panicked by his erraticism. The president’s whims and resentments have led to stock market convulsions and may soon result in painful tariffs that affect American farmers, an important part of his base. Mueller’s special counsel investigation continues to close in. Republicans have lost special election seats in red-leaning areas all over the country. But QAnon offers assurance that everything is under control.

Barr, for example, retweeted a QAnon post arguing that right-wing criticism of the omnibus spending bill, legislation many on the right deplored, was shortsighted. In releasing funds to the military, it said, the bill would set off a climatic series of events: “Swamp drain begins, military seizes TRILLIONS in cabal assets, returning them to the people.” An inspector general report would then reveal the establishment’s unspeakable crimes, after which “the strings will be cut from the propaganda machine and people will stop falling for the garbage MSM,” or mainstream media. Trump, and those who believe in him, would be vindicated.

You don’t create a wild fantasy about your leader being a covert genius unless you understand that to most people, he looks like something quite different. You don’t need an occult story about how your side is secretly winning if it’s actually winning. Publicly, many right-wing politicians and pundits disdain the Mueller investigation and pretend to believe that Trump’s ties to Russia are negligible. But among part of the Trump base, the effort to explain them away appears to be creating psychic strain.

“You cannot possibly imagine the size of this,” said a Q dispatch last month. “Trust the plan. Trust there are more good than bad.” Q almost certainly doesn’t know any state secrets, but he, she, or they understand that some fervent Trump supporters require more reassurance than they’re willing to admit. Their desperate conviction that they will be proven right about Trump betrays a secret fear that they will be proven wrong.

Michelle Goldberg
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 06:24 am
@maporsche,
Not really.

I have a sliding scale opinion of unions. I still hate the idea that people can be forced to pay a percentage of their income for services they don’t want. There should be some kind of opt in mechanism...

I think employees of all businesses should have the right to unionize.

I think unions can get too grabby and hurt business (or education).

I think unions can save lives.

So, my opinions are the same as they have been— with the current concern that oligarchs are buying up large companies - like Bezos - and riding roughshod over employees, requiring that sliding scale to be pushed father to the side of the worker.

Seems sensible to me.
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 06:27 am
@maporsche,
You’re pro-gun.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 06:31 am
Quote:
“We’ve already lost the trade war. We don’t have a trade war, we’ve lost the trade war,” Trump said in a radio interview with New York radio show, 77 WABC’s “Bernie & Sid.”

“I’m not saying there won’t be a little pain, but the market has gone up 40 percent, 42 percent so we might lose a little bit of it. But we’re going to have a much stronger country when we’re finished.

“So we may take a hit and you know what, ultimately we’re going to be much stronger for it,” Trump said.
reuters
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 06:36 am
@maporsche,
I never praised Conor Lamb.

So, this is your ...eighth lie?...

You’re really working hard to earn the ever-popular establishment Dem credentials. Kudos.

All this desperate wrangling won’t help your case.

Are you worried that Trump is going to win in 2020? You should be. Your party can’t even come up with a legitimate candidate. What, are they building an android in some DOD warehouse since they can’t find one acceptable human being to take on Donald Trump??

You’re going to lose again. Because the disgusting remnant of your splintered party is made up of lying assholes like you.

Congratulations!!🎉🎈🎊🍾
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:02 am
@Lash,
Sorry. It was Ojeda. Point stays the same though (not a lie, just picked the wrong red-state Democrat). The rest of your post is pond-scum and doesn’t deserve comment.

https://able2know.org/topic/404158-90#post-6609740
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:04 am
@Lash,
I’m pro fewer guns almost in whatever form that takes. I’d support an assault weapons ban.

I’m also not the one with some bullshit purity test.
blatham

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:35 am
@hightor,
Amazing piece.
PS fwiw... Mike Allen's father, Gary, was co-writer of a John Birch book I read in the seventies, None Dare Call It Conspiracy.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:38 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I still hate the idea that people can be forced to pay a percentage of their income for services they don’t want.

That figures.

Fine, you want to play libertarian? "Sure, I'll take that pay raise but I don't want to contribute to the union's strike fund or pay for the legal help needed to negotiate the next contract or support legislative lobbying." Then those objecting employees shouldn't receive the benefits derived from union activity.

Yeah, I don't really like the payroll tax, so I shouldn't have to pay it, but don't you touch my Social Security.
blatham

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:48 am
Who could possibly have guessed
Quote:
Trump Will Skip The White House Correspondents’ Dinner Again
TPM

For bullies/authoritarians, probably the most psychically threatening situation is being joked about and laughed at publicly. Trump has this characteristic, squared.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 07:57 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Sorry. It was Ojeda. Point stays the same though (not a lie, just picked the wrong red-state Democrat). The rest of your post is pond-scum and doesn’t deserve comment.

https://able2know.org/topic/404158-90#post-6609740

There is no comparison between liberal Ojeda and DINO Lamb.

I’m proud to support Ojeda, and you continue to prove yourself a prolific liar.

For anyone interested in Ojeda:

Richard Ojeda, hard j, is a first-term lawmaker from southern West Virginia. He’s 47 years old, a husband and a father of two, and he’s won exactly one general election in his life. He is running now for the open seat in West Virginia’s 3rd Congressional District, which seems like a monumentally precocious act for somebody who has served slightly more than a year in any elected office at all. But Ojeda has made his mark on the volatile politics in this state with a stunning suddenness. Though he is a Democrat in a legislature in which his party is outnumbered almost 2-to-1, he spearheaded in his freshman session the passage of a bill legalizing medical marijuana. Then, this January, he stood on the Senate floor and argued in fiery speeches that energy companies should pony up more taxes so teachers could get better benefits and pay. A strike, he warned, was not out of the question. A month later, teachers from all 55 counties walked off the job—a first in the history of the state—instantly making Ojeda the father of one of the region’s largest labor actions of the past 30 years.
———————

My purity test: having a background of actually serving Americans. You’re goddamn right I have a purity test.

**** the leeches and users you gravitate to. They’re guilty of treason as far as I’m concerned.
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:01 am
@Lash,
Ojeda....voted for Donald Trump in 2016.

SOOOOOO liberal. SOOOOO progressive.

Ojeda has SAID:
Quote:
“If he does twenty percent of what he promises, he’ll be a decent president,” Ojeda told the New Yorker magazine just after Trump’s election win. “And maybe he just will make America great again.”

I'm glad he's got a D next to his name though. It will help the Democrats regain control of at least one branch of government (hopefully).

It will be interesting to see how he votes. I'll often be comparing his votes and positions to those of Bernie (just for fun).
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:05 am
@maporsche,
Maporsche got Lamb and Ojeda confused.

Just sit with that for a minute.

0 Replies