monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:10 am
@hightor,
One is the law. Fight it if you like.

The other is a gross infringement on personal rights.
hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:13 am
Reader's comment about Trump's "not knowing" about the $130,000 payoff:
Puffin wrote:
As an attorney, I often pay hundreds of thousands of dollars of my own money to random people who make unsubstantiated accusations against my client, with no expectation of repayment, while binding my clients to agreements that they know nothing about. It's just good business.

NYT
How soon before we hear Trump question what the meaning of "is" is?
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:13 am
@maporsche,
Hahaha. He must REALLY have hated Hillary.

But, despite that vote, he’s in the trenches for teachers and approving medical marijuana. What he DOES is more important to me than that vote.

I wonder if he regrets it. Do you know who Lamb voted for?

maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:16 am
@Lash,
"Despite that vote [for Trump, for president]"

Let THAT sink in for a second.

-- If only you had 1/5 that level of forgiveness for Democrats who voted for other things you disagreed with (yet agree with you on 85%+ of the other issues).
hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:30 am
The Atlantic Cuts Ties With Conservative Writer Kevin Williamson

I'm not surprised. But I am sort of disappointed. This plays right into the conservatives' "Liberals hate free speech" mantra. No, I don't agree that women who abort should be hanged. But I'm not squeamish about pointing to the hypocrisy of the militant anti-choice crowd who support violence against abortion providers but excuse the woman who makes the decision because it would be politically inconvenient.

The Atlantic has featured well-written journalism for years and I'd have hoped that its readership would be mature enough to survive exposure to the thoughts of a firebrand like Williamson, and maybe even counter his thought with some punchy — and quotable — rejoinders. Alas.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:32 am
@maporsche,
Show me anyone who supports the plutocracy America has become, who supports Big Pharma, unregulated Wall Street, Monsanto poisoning me, who says universal healthcare will never happen, who loves the idea of superdelegates negating people’s votes, and I will hate them, call them out and support candidates who oppose them.

These things are life and death to me. The fact that you don’t think these things are a big deal matters not.

Trump is a blip on the radar. Join us, and he’ll be gone soon. Carp from the sidelines, and you may as well vote for him.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
One is the law.

The other is a gross infringement on personal rights.

Actually they're both "the law":
Quote:
The amount of dues collected from employees represented by unions is subject to federal and state laws and court rulings. The NLRA allows unions and employers to enter into union-security agreements which require the payment of dues or dues equivalents as a condition of employment.

Federal law allows unions and employers to enter into "union-security" agreements which require all employees in a bargaining unit to become union members and begin paying union dues and fees within 30 days of being hired. Employees may choose not to become union members and pay dues, or opt to pay only that share of dues used directly for representation, such as collective bargaining and contract administration. Known as objectors, they are no longer union members, but are still protected by the contract. Unions are obligated to tell all covered employees about this option, which was created by a Supreme Court ruling and is known as the Beck right.

NLRB
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:42 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/27/could-this-military-guy-democrat-find-a-magic-formula-to-win-back-blue-collar-voters

Let’s give Mr. Ojeda his due on the Trump question:

West Virginia Democrats tend to diverge a bit from the national party, typically marrying a yeoman’s populism with heavy doses of social conservatism. Ojeda is different still, with aggressively and blunt rhetoric reminiscent of Donald Trump, and politics that run the gamut but skew towards the Bernie Sanders wing of the party. On abortion, Ojeda said “I hate the idea of telling a woman what to do with her body,” and expresses support for Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood. He supports Dreamers in their battle for immigration reform, is open to some forms of gun control, marijuana legalization and makes a case for a government role in providing healthcare.

Ojeda supported Trump in 2016, but calls the past year of the administration a ‘trainwreck’ and is especially frustrated by Trump’s tweets, ‘put the phone down. Be president!”

“We always keep saying ‘we’re the best, we’re the best.’ Other countries offer healthcare for their people. We don’t, so how are we the best there? We’ve got poverty all over the place and it’s the haves and the have-nots, so how are we the best there? Just because you have a military that could kick everybody’s ass doesn’t necessarily mean that means you’re the best,” he said.

‘Airborne!’
Ojeda supported Trump in 2016, but ask him if he’d do it again and he nearly interrupts the question to answer with a confident no, calling the past year of the administration a “trainwreck”. He’s especially frustrated by Trump’s tweets, “put the phone down. Be president!” and his appointment of family to high-level positions
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 08:47 am
@hightor,
Well, I can tell you with certainty that the Beck right (opt out) does not happen uniformly, and I was bullied into promising on paper to vote as the union told me to on a state proposition.

That is wrong. It’s criminal. I should have been allowed to opt out without repercussions.
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:15 am
@Lash,
Wow. If only you gave every politician the benefit of the doubt like you do this guy. I mean he can vote for the candidate whom is the furthest away from your stated political views than anyone in 2016 and you take his explanation at face value and take a wait and see approach (as if the tweets are the biggest problem).

Seriously, you should have no problem with any Democrat if you were equally forgiving.

He probably would have voted for the Iraq war too.
georgeob1

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:17 am
@hightor,
I believe you have misstated the facts with respect to the Beck right and requirements for non union members to pay a "representation" share ( i.e. subset) of normal union dues. In the 20-some states with Right to Work laws, worker who choose not to join unions are free of any and all obligations to the union. In (only) states with so called "free rider" laws", which compel nonunion member workers to pay a "fair" share of the union's cost of representation and negotiations, non members can be compelled to pay this share. There are however several cases pending in the Federal courts regarding alleged deficiencies in Union accounting for just what these representation costs include, specifically excluding union political activity, costs and contributions. My understanding of these suggests that further restrictions on union charges are a likely result.
oralloy

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I’d support an assault weapons ban.

Do you have any justification for banning pistol grips?

If not, why do you want to violate people's rights for no reason?
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I’d support an assault weapons ban.

Do you have any justification for banning pistol grips?

If not, why do you want to violate people's rights for no reason?

I didn't say that I'd support the exact copy/version of the last AWB.
oralloy

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 09:45 am
@maporsche,
Well what features would you ban, and what is the justification for banning those features?
hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:17 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
My understanding of these suggests that further restrictions on union charges are a likely result.

I expect that will be the case as open judgeships are filled with people ideologically opposed to collective bargaining and union representation.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:29 am
@Lash,
Quote:
...and I was bullied into promising on paper to vote as the union told me to on a state proposition.

That is wrong. (But they didn't follow you into the voting booth, did they?) While I strongly support worker's rights and organized labor I'm not blind to the sort of union malfeasance you describe and the effect that it has had on the general status of unions in this country. But that didn't happen overnight. Union members have at times been badly served by their leadership — but so have members of political parties, international relief organizations, Fortune 500 companies, and pretty much any large organization which fails to remain vigilant in the fight against corruption and the concentration of power.
maporsche

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:30 am
@oralloy,
I remember we had a discussion on this on the guns thread (which I don't follow anymore). I'm not going to rehash that here.

I was just pointing out that Lash doesn't even pass the progressive purity test that she holds most (although, not all (see Ojeda)) politicians up to. The AWB was just an example of how she'd fail that same test.
Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:39 am
@maporsche,
Seriously, help progressives who are dedicated to providing healthcare for everyone and making medications affordable...
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:43 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I believe you have misstated the facts with respect to the Beck right and requirements for non union members to pay a "representation" share ( i.e. subset) of normal union dues. In the 20-some states with Right to Work laws, worker who choose not to join unions are free of any and all obligations to the union. In (only) states with so called "free rider" laws", which compel nonunion member workers to pay a "fair" share of the union's cost of representation and negotiations, non members can be compelled to pay this share. There are however several cases pending in the Federal courts regarding alleged deficiencies in Union accounting for just what these representation costs include, specifically excluding union political activity, costs and contributions. My understanding of these suggests that further restrictions on union charges are a likely result.

They gave me no option, took my money, and bullied me into filling out a form that signified how I would vote on a union prop. I was told not to leave the room until I handed in my form.

I don’t mind adding that the CA Teacher’s Union is an example of gross overreach that has damaged education in that state.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 6 Apr, 2018 11:44 am
@hightor,
Well, in the least, this experience of mine elucidates my measured support of unions.
0 Replies