monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Setanta

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:47 am
It is truly hilarious to see a conservative, a Republican, complain about Democrats and the money boys. Now there's some real cognitive dissonance.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:50 am
In this thread, Lash referred to Trump as her president, and the Republicans as her party. Now she'll call me a liar. That sort of name-calling is all she has in rebuttal. The truth hurts, huh?
Lash

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:53 am
https://ourrevolution.com/2017-elections-results/

https://ourrevolution.com/election-2016/

πŸ€“
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 03:56 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
In this thread, Lash referred to Trump as her president,

Trump is the president of every American.

Setanta wrote:
and the Republicans as her party.

I've never seen her claim this.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Lash

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 04:10 am
@oralloy,
He hasn't either. Take note of his character.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:04 am
Wow. The wave is not diminishing.
Quote:
Dem Wins Wisconsin Top Court Seat in Major Defeat for Scott Walker

...Her victory marks the first time since 1995 that a liberal candidate for Supreme Court won in a race where the seat is open.

The victory reduces conservative control of the court from 5-2 to 4-3.
TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:16 am
Nobody has been tougher on Trump than Lash has been. And everybody knows it.
MontereyJack

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:17 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
[/q
Trump is the president of every Americanuote]
Not when he cponsistently ignores what w2/3 of the country wants him to do, he's not.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:52 am
Today's winner in our internationally-renowned No ****, Sherlock! category
Quote:
Goodbye art of the deal. Hello art of the demagogue.
WP headline.
Quote:
A new Monmouth University poll says that 3 of 4 Americans believe that traditional news organizations report β€œfake news.”

I’ve been arguing for more than a year that the term should be shunned because its original meaning β€” that is, fabricated stories intended to fool you β€” has been so purposely blurred and tainted.

That’s largely the doing of President Trump, who wants nothing more than to have the American public distrust the reality-based press which often reports unflattering β€” but true β€” things about him.
Margaret Sullivan
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:03 am
@blatham,
I'm not performing for you people.

I do criticize Trump. In the case of Bezos, I also agree with Trump, on the very few occasions he's right--something you should aspire to.

The tribalism you and your adherents follow got us locked in this crazed ineffective duopoly. Stop cheering for one corrupt group over another--and supporting the damaging unregulated acquisitions of Bezos and the corruption of McCabe just because it's been juxtaposed to Trump.
blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:04 am
Jeepers
Quote:
[Bryce] Harper is hitting .400 this season with four home runs and seven walks in five games.
WP
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In this thread, Lash referred to Trump as her president, and the Republicans as her party.

Prove it.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:32 am
So the stock market goes into a tailspin and Trump has to, as a function of his pathology, lie about it.
Quote:
After China retaliates, Trump claims there's no trade war
As U.S. stock futures plummet Wednesday morning on the news that China has responded to U.S. tariffs by targeting autos, chemicals, planes, soybeans and whiskey, President Trump denied the existence of a trade war β€” though he claimed just last month that "trade wars are good, and easy to win."
Axios

And most Trump supporters/defenders will, as a function of their pathology, deem themselves fortunate to have such a wise, far-seeing and honest leader.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:37 am
Holy poop. In the Wisconsin SC election, the candidate favored by Scott Walker lost with 44.3% of the vote compared to the Dem-supported candidate's 55.7%. That's huge.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 06:53 am
Media Matters provides a fairly extensive set of example of right wing online lunacy following the youtube shooting yesterday. MM
Lash

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 07:11 am
Party affiliations morphing across the US.

A look at California.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-on-politics-column-20180301-story.html%3foutputType=amp

Introductory excerpt:

For a party halfway in the grave, the news thudded like another shovelful of dirt β€” thwack! β€” heaved atop its coffin: The Republican Party may soon slip into third place among registered California voters, trailing Democrats and self-declared independents.
The decline of the GOP β€” now barely a quarter of the state's electorate β€” has been a precipitous one in this formerly deep-red redoubt, a decline all the more striking given the provenance of figures like Earl Warren, Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. Between them, they represented California on the national ticket in 8 out of 10 presidential races over a nearly 40-year span.

That said, the latest registration figures weren't that hot for Democrats, either. True, at 45%, the party enjoys a sizable advantage over Republicans. But that level of support has hardly budged in 20 years, even as the party tightened its vise grip on the state.
The significant growth in registration has come in the ranks of California voters who stated no party preference and now make up 25% of the electorate, nearly on a par with Republicans and almost certain to overtake the GOP before long. A little more than 20 years ago, self-described independents were just 12% of the state electorate.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 07:12 am
@blatham,
I am so dismayed at the state of my country right now. Maybe there were other times, but I can't recall the country being so divided by hate and division and pure loony people such as MM highlighted before. Do you think it is the information age?
hightor

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 07:13 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm not performing for you people.

Who are you performing for?
Quote:
Stop cheering for one corrupt group over another...

Oh, you want us performing for you now?

Seriously, criticizing Trump for the way he conducts himself in office is not a blanket defense of those he singles out for denunciation, whether it be Bezos or the DPRK. I'm not a fan of Amazon or any of the other corporations in the "Big Five". But his petulant and factually inaccurate attacks don't give me the feeling that the president really has Main Street in mind.
revelette1

Wed 4 Apr, 2018 08:01 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump's top infrastructure adviser is leaving the administration, a White House official told NBC News Wednesday, in yet another setback to the president's plan to rebuild the nation's roads, tunnels and bridges.

The adviser, DJ Gribbin, is leaving to pursue "new opportunities," the official told NBC News.

NBC News
0 Replies