monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Consider me detatched from much of this on line stuff for a long time, but still interested.

You shall be so considered. I swear it.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:55 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

There's another facet to this Streep story. It provides a diversion from something really very important, and that is that many of Trump's nominated people have not undergone the usual ethics reviews and are being advanced for hearings without these reviews.

This too is an unprecedented revision of important traditional norms and practices and the consequences for Americans (and others) could be very serious and very dangerous.

But it is significant and important to understand that both of these matters reflect the behavior of a tyrant. This is authoritarianism.

It's not unprecedented at all. Obamas appointees were approved at the same point in 2004 and under the same circumstances. Indeed this is the norm for new administrations.
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:10 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

No one from Mexico has ever raped someone here in the US? Illegal immigrants from Mexico come here and commit no crimes? How many times have some illegal immigrants been deported only to pop up again in the US committing another crime?

Just last week a Mexican who had previously been deport 16 times raped a 12 year old girl in Kansas, eh?

16 times! They come right back across the border at will. Many of them are fleeing criminal prosecution in their own country. These are not good people, Trump got it right.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:27 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

Quote:
It's true that the guy he "mocked" had a handicap, but that's not what he was "mocking."

Putting aside whether or not Trump knew he was handicap or not, his actions are what I would consider immature.

You don't seem to get it, eh, Cat. You can be a phony-ass, trying to project gravitas, decorum, "maturity," presidential demeanor, and lose, like Romney, if ya want.

Or you can be yourself, not take the world so damn seriously that you can't even say what's on your mind, blow off all the pretentious posturing and WIN, like Trump.

He's way ahead of you. That's a big part of his appeal.
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:36 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

layman wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

Attacking the messenger, rather than the substance of the message, is a form of tyranny that seeks to silence dissent.

Like the libs trying to blame the russians for the contents of Podesta's emails, ya mean?

I think you're confusing the issues.

Hackers are criminals.

Ya think? Attacking the russians while ignoring the substantial content being exposed is NOT attacking the messenger, that your claim?

We have a right not to be recorded without our knowledge and consent. Where was the outrage about the "criminal" who leaked the Trump pussy-grabbing audio tape, I wonder?

Kinda funny that criminal prosecutors in this country routinely use the sworn testimony of criminal informants to get the truth in front of a jury, aint it? They should just let all those convicts go if the witnesses against them don't qualify for sainthood, I figure.
giujohn

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:41 pm
@layman,
Or when Trump's Taxes were illegally obtained??
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:47 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Then find for me in that quote where trump said ALL illegals were criminals and rapist's..

You can tell the truth but lie at the same time or perhaps better said, you can tell the truth but obfuscate that truth by not providing context..those men who have cheated on their wives and had to storyboard 'what happened' to them know this very well..

However, in this case, we also see an attempt at a bit of statistical sleight of hand:
1. Truth: Mexicans who come here are rapists/drug dealers.
- There is no qualification on this.
2. Truth: Some are good people.
- This is qualified by #1

Conclusion, implication: most of the Mexicans that come here are criminals. By qualifying #2 with 'some', he's making an implicit statement that most are rapists/drug dealers and only 'some' are 'good' people. The words are supported by the offhand manner in which he mentions that he assumes 'some' are good people.

His use of assumption here is telling as well. Why would you have to assume this? Does he really think that its possible that there could be no good people? Obviously not, I don't believe Trump believes this. Hes' doing it as part of his attempt to paint a particular picture.

Why? Because the picture this paints speaks much better to the ideals Trump has. If he said most are good people, but only some are criminals, there is less impact in people's minds and his ideas become enervated/have less impact..

This matters because the way he puts things together inflames people into believing something that isn't true. How could it be true that most illegals are drug dealers and rapists? That doesn't make any sense to me and I don't see any statistics forthcoming from Trump that show this to be the case.

Even if you remove from the picture that Trump is a racist, that he only says things that will get him elected, saying things like this can do real damage to people.

I've said this in another thread - I can't remember the rapper who said, when questioned about using the term 'bitches' in his lyrics, defended its usage by saying that he's not talking about the women who aren't bitches..

glitterbag

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:50 pm
@georgeob1,
I know you meant 2008, that was just a typo, but Obamas choices had been vetted, background checks had been performed and they were actually ready for hearings as opposed to Trumps trying to bum rush his candidates in before Congress has a chance to even weigh their suitability.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:54 pm
@catbeasy,
GUI likes to play word games when Trump's statements are easily available.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/?tid=a_inl-amp
This article is interesting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-to-remove-trump-from-office/2017/01/09/e119cc36-d698-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-b%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.25b83b709a1d
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/07/08/donald-trumps-false-comments-connecting-mexican-immigrants-and-crime/?client=safari
catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 07:59 pm
@layman,
Quote:
You don't seem to get it, eh, Cat. You can be a phony-ass, trying to project gravitas, decorum, "maturity," presidential demeanor, and lose, like Romney, if ya want.

I do get it. That's what scares me about this man. I understand him all too well.

Quote:
Or you can be yourself, not take the world so damn seriously that you can't even say what's on your mind, blow off all the pretentious posturing and WIN, like Trump.

I think this is our point of departure. You think him saying what's on his mind as he does is him 'being himself' - fair enough. The celebrity Apprentice was a great conveyance for that and though I wouldn't condone his behaviour in any setting, that setting isn't affecting foreign policy. But for President? where we diverge is whether or not that type of himself is dangerous or not. You apparently think not, I think otherwise.

I do agree there is a level of political correctness that, like any extreme, gets overdone. However, there is also a point at which the disregard for what is considered politically correct is used as an excuse for bad manners or bad behaviour towards people. I think Trump fits in this category..and again, I think it matters, contributes something (good or bad) to the health of a nation. It cannot help but do that.

And btw, those aren't the only possible options..I don't like what Trump or Romney or most of what the current politicians represent either..The possible choices are not just phony ass or just ass..
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:11 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

I can't remember the rapper who said, when questioned about using the term 'bitches' in his lyrics, defended its usage by saying that he's not talking about the women who aren't bitches..

How could he be? There aint no such thang, eh?
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:12 pm
@catbeasy,
Nice game...Is there a home version I can buy some where?

So did you run this by Trump? Did you ask him his meaning and motivation?

Seems the only one assuming here is you.
giujohn

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,

If your looking for word games see catbeasy's post above.

Isn't it interesting how ya can't get a simple reply out of a liberal when it's obvious that they are wrong. And they accuse Trump if doubling down...Libs are the master's.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:19 pm
@catbeasy,
catbeasy wrote:

And btw, those aren't the only possible options..I don't like what Trump or Romney or most of what the current politicians represent either..The possible choices are not just phony ass or just ass..

Trump, like every president before him, is an imperfect human being. But unlike most, he doesn't try to disguise or deny his humanity.

He kinda reminds me of Truman, who said: β€œIt's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every month.”

Truman also, quite astutely, had this advice: "Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it."

layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:24 pm
While on the topic of Truman, and his humanity, I shouldn't leave this one out, eh?

Quote:
β€œI have read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an eight ulcer man on a four ulcer job. Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes and perhaps a supporter below.”
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:38 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Nice game

Its not a game. Its my interpretation. You apparently don't think there's merit to it? ..fair enough..
giujohn

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:52 pm
@catbeasy,
I recall watching it when it was said. I recall the tone of voice and inflection. I remember the context. I understood him perfectly. There was nothing malicious in his delivery. He is not the most eloquent orater. He speaks like everyday Joe sixpack without a filter (isn't that what all the liberal MSM say about him?). He rarely needs to be interpreted.

So your exercise is moot.
catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:56 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Trump, like every president before him, is an imperfect human being. But unlike most, he doesn't try to disguise or deny his humanity.

What are you trying to say when you state he's not perfect? That leaves a lot of room for both goodness and evil. I get where you are coming from. You don't care that he's an ass sometimes. You'll take that over the Romney's of the world.

In fact the irony is that's the one thing I like about Trump. He pretty much tells you who he is, expect of course I don't want who he is.

I don't live in that world. I don't want a person with behaviour like Trump's being a ruler. I don't want other politicians on either side either. I think it reflects how piss poor our politics have become when we have choices like we've had. And because of this lack of choice, I see many people defending what I see as being indefensible behaviour.

Your name calling vitriol towards 'liberals' show that you are not wanting an honest conversation. When I read things like you post about Californians I wonder what the heck that has to do with Trump being fit for President or not. Because Californians suck, then Trump is...what? You mix opinion with ad hominem. I don't like that either. From anyone on the forum, It degenerates what is supposed to be discussion into fourth grade name calling.

I don't agree with many conservatives, but what I assume is that most of them are good people that want what's best for their country and their families and that its a relative few with loud mouths that illogically and with bad intent pillory everyone else. I assume the same of liberals. What I see is shouting matches because people get heated. It happens. But there's a point at which that becomes too much and that disparagement becomes the majority of what's said. No one wants to back down for fear of appearing weak or appearing that their sacred beliefs will somehow be mitigated. We'd all still be living in mud huts if that was the only way we were..
catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 08:57 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
So your exercise is moot.

Its moot for you. We disagree.
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 09:07 pm
@catbeasy,
Well, Cat, I have to give you credit for taking a level-headed approach. You do seem to be relatively "objective" and sincere.

Some see forums such as this as "designed" for somber discussion. I don't.

I see it as a form of recreation where the primary objective is to have some fun, not "get educated." I wouldn't even want to "learn" what most of the members here believe they "know" and are qualified to "teach."

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the honest exchange of ideas. But that's not something you will find very often in this forum.
0 Replies