monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 04:59 pm
Integrity, an example.

Quote:
Although Donald Trump slammed Meryl Streep for her impassioned Golden Globes speech (which you can watch above) and called her “overrated,” he was once a big fan of the award-winning actress — less than a year and a half ago, in fact.

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter in August 2015 if there are any actresses that he loves, Trump praised the Florence Foster Jenkins star. “Julia Roberts is terrific, and many others. Meryl Streep is excellent; she’s a fine person, too,” he said.
LINK
blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:02 pm
@georgeob1,
I no longer have any confidence you aren't going to go all the way down, george.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:06 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Integrity, an example.

You are nit-picking again in search of more trivia for your hyperbole.

After all, even in your quote, he rated Julia Roberts over Streep - that does indeed leave room for "overrated".

I watched the video. I wouldn't call Meryl's remarks "impassioned" at all. She was quite obviously merely pandering to the conceits and prejudices of a self-absorbed and pretentiously sympathetic crowd, and doing so in a setting which permitted no retort or rejoinder. She was utterly safe and secure, and absolutely assured of a favorable reaction. Very little integrity or courage in that either.

However, I do wish Trump would quit reacting to this ****.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

8 years of pent up frustration with 0bama's PC **** is flowing through Trump's fingertips, I enjoy him showing no quarter to self serving, lying liberal progressive democrats. Political correctness is a thing of the past, cupcakes & cheese eating snowflakes need to STFU, or grow thicker skin.
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:28 pm
@blatham,
That's funny coming from an attorney. When she fights a case in court, that kind of suggestion would go nowhere. "He killed five people, but please look into his heart."
Debra Law

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:35 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

Attacking the messenger, rather than the substance of the message, is a form of tyranny that seeks to silence dissent.

Like the libs trying to blame the russians for the contents of Podesta's emails, ya mean?

I think you're confusing the issues.

The substance of some emails obtained through hacking, if the email documents are authentic, disclose unacceptable conduct. I don't defend the DNC or the Clintons or anyone else for wrongdoing.

Hackers are criminals. I don't defend the conduct of criminals. All of us need better cyber security to protect our information. I think we can agree on that ... unless you approve of domestic and foreign hackers wiping out your financial assets and stealing your credit, among other things.

Unlike the hackers who are deserving of our condemnation, Meryl Streep is not a criminal. Her conduct was not a criminal act. The attack on her (e.g., she doesn't know her proper place, she's an "over rated" actress, etc.), rather than the substance of her message is unacceptable. It's an ad hominem attack.

Our president-elect uses twitter to disrespect, bully, and threaten people. Soon he will have much more powerful tools at his disposal to punish dissent and inhibit free speech.

Your attack on "the libs" (as an entire group) is also unacceptable. It's divisive and resolves nothing.

Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:43 pm
@Debra Law,
You mean like Obama's little brown shirt website? To report people who say untrue things about his policies?

www.attackwatch.com

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/01/hey-remember-attackwatch-com/
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:44 pm
Quote:
As Axios Launches, Co-Founder Mike Allen Joins Breitbart Radio To Lavish Praise On Breitbart.com
LINK

For future reference, Mike Allen (formerly of Politico) is the son of Gary Allen, who was a prominent member of the John Birch Society, and co-author of "None Dare Call It Conspiracy", a tract which I read back about 1975.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:49 pm
@Debra Law,
Hooray. Thanks for speaking up.
0 Replies

tony5732

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:53 pm
@Frugal1,
It's really not worth it. Trump is validating these people by reacting to them.

I mean, it is pretty common for celebrities to jump on the Trump hate train and ride it as far down as it will take them.

A lot of America is already saying "we give no fucks".

Not only is Trump validating these Hollywood figures as somehow legitimate political opponents, but he sinks to their level in doing so. It's time for him to rise above the twitter wars with Meryl Streep.

blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's funny coming from an attorney. When she fights a case in court, that kind of suggestion would go nowhere. "He killed five people, but please look into his heart."

It's typical Trump/Conway lying and bullshit. George and the others gobble it up like delicious chocolate.

"Heart" is a rather idiotic term to begin with. Where it doesn't refer to empathy (or lack of it), it refers to intentions. She's using it in both ways but mainly the second. But it is speech acts and other behaviors (how the body is used, how facial expressions display the inner self, etc) which reveal empathy and intentions. Those are the means we have of apprehending "heart". As in your example, we cannot rely on the testimonials of an ally, particularly one being paid very big bucks to convince people that all the normal evidences we rely upon ought to be cast aside and replaced with her version of reality. It's worse than incoherent, though it certainly is incoherent.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 05:59 pm
@tony5732,
Quote:
Not only is Trump validating these Hollywood figures as somehow legitimate political opponents, but he sinks to their level in doing so. It's time for him to rise above the twitter wars with Meryl Streep.

Any citizen is a legitimate political opponent, if opposed to a political figure. That ought to go without saying.

But more to the point, I hope you grasp that Trump will not stop responding to perceived slights. All the evidence over the last two months (and throughout his life prior to winning the nomination) suggests with great certainty that he will not.

If you get that, then you are faced with the reality that you are supporting someone who has little or no self-control, who is a narcissist and tyrant at a level that is pathological.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:10 pm
@tony5732,
I disagree, showing America who these people really are without their
protective filter is refreshing. And, there are plenty of fucks left to give.
blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:16 pm
Patrick Nathan ‏@patricknathan 20h20 hours ago
Hollywood isn't a bubble. It's a nexus of people from all over the world coming together to make art. White rural America is a bubble.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:20 pm
@blatham,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1xMLqoWgAAwfge.jpg
0 Replies

catbeasy

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
After all, even in your quote, he rated Julia Roberts over Streep - that does indeed leave room for "overrated".

Does anyone think that the spirit of Trump's tweet was not simply towards being derisive? It's clearly nothing to do with his evaluation of her as an actor..that is a joke!

Quote:

Why? Is it because it simply stirs the pot of negativity towards him? Or is it because his reactions toward this stuff are immature? Both? Something else?
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:27 pm
@catbeasy,
Thin skin and immature comes to mind.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:36 pm
@blatham,
Neither here nor there, my uncle Ernest went to what is now called Hollywood around 1920, and the family followed, from Boston. My father, diff family, left med school to take care of his diabetic mother, and got a job there, circa '20s.

Consider me detatched from much of this on line stuff for a long time, but still interested.
blatham

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:39 pm
There's another facet to this Streep story. It provides a diversion from something really very important, and that is that many of Trump's nominated people have not undergone the usual ethics reviews and are being advanced for hearings without these reviews.

This too is an unprecedented revision of important traditional norms and practices and the consequences for Americans (and others) could be very serious and very dangerous.

But it is significant and important to understand that both of these matters reflect the behavior of a tyrant. This is authoritarianism.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:40 pm
0 Replies