monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:24 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Do you really think those kids organized the march?

Do I really think you are a progressive as you claim? No I do not. You spend way too much time parroting right wing talking points. I think you use the progressive platform to go after democrats. I don't think the same as all progressives such as Edgar, but you are so obvious.
0 Replies

thack45

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:31 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Do you really think those kids organized the march?

Do you really think the marches would have happened without the participation of the students?

I bet they wouldn't have happened if some guy didn't enter a school and mow down 17 people
nimh

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:35 am
@coldjoint,
Elsewhere in polling land, most pollsters find Trump's job approval rating to be nearer to 42% approve / 53% disapprove, and millennials are the most negative about Trump.
ehBeth

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:36 am
@hightor,
I remember the Vietnam War protests I was part of in public school and high school. We organized those ourselves. We planned, organized, fund-raised, got things done. Sit ins, marches, school-wide meetings where we invited soldiers/diplomats/politicians (who showed up), screenings of All Quiet on the Western Front. Obviously well before social media days.

Given that I don't think children today are less motivated than we were or stupider than we were, it is really hard to believe anyone doesn't understand what children are capable of doing (and how social media is going to make it easier and more powerful).
ehBeth

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:42 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
millennials are the most negative about Trump.

the millennials may be negative but I wanted them to get out and vote

http://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/allstate/when-it-comes-to-politics-do-millennials-care-about-anything/255/

kinda disappointed about the millennials' general level of political engagement in North America but the next generation - just getting ready to vote - they're making me happy - I feel like I recognize them
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
Exactly the same here.
I organised protests and demonstrations against the German Emergency Acts ("Notstandsgesetze") and was threatened to get fired from school.

I actually was quite experienced, because the first pupil demonstrations in our school/town started past 1945 when we were in Berlin and witnessed the demonstrations there after the killing of Benno Ohnesorg, a student killed by a policeman (who actually was a GDR-agent as is known now) in 1967.
We organised all by ourselves, from getting the basic sources (that's why I nearly got fired: I got, on official paper and signed by a Staatssekretär ["under secretary of state"] the 'draft bill') to hiring a bus, getting the official permit etc.

The age of the pupils in my class was between nearly 16 and nearly 18 in those days.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:22 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

But Dreyfus was a smart man... He would have immediately recognised that Trump, being a goy, filthy rich, and POTUS, is in an excellent legal position. And since we now make dead peoole speak, Dreyfus would have agreed that if Trump is innocent, he should have nothing to fear.

Rolling Eyes
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:33 am
@blatham,
I also don't believe there is anything supernatural about evil. There is no Dark Lord seducing and twisting otherwise wonderful people. Evil is a human creation.

So, what did you believe the concept means?

Throwing it around to describe actions or words you don't happen to like renders it a very weak term and you clearly meant it to have strength.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:38 am
Do you believe this nitwit Dago?

What a funny wop!

http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/25/cuomo-black-church-jews-cant-dance/?utm_medium=email
hightor

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:10 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It was a stupid statement from a politician who I'd really hoped would have been more effective. It makes me wonder how many Jewish weddings he's attended. But I don't understand your use of the offensive ethnic epithets, "wop" and "Dago", as it's not reported that Cuomo used any common derogatory ethnic slurs for Jewish people.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:14 am
Lash didn't mention George Soros but I gather that was a likely implication. Heavens knows where such an idea might have come from and why it might find safe harbor in her noggin. But I'll leave aside all that crap for a moment.

Here's a key reason why I'm so impressed with this youth activism we're seeing (which is not even to mention how impressively erudite, thoughtful and civic-minded so many are) - they are seriously smart in a manner that the Occupy Movement people were not. Where Occupy actively and purposefully resisted organization, deeming it a form of or manifestation of hierachichal domination, these kids are not nearly so stupid. And I think as well that they have been deeply influenced by the Women's March model of activism, which itself draws on earlier successful activist models, including, if we are to be fair, the Tea Party (does anyone recall Lash or others on the right derogating the key role of Fox and Americans For Prosperity in organizing efforts promoting that phenomenon?)
Quote:
The report added, "HeadCount, a nonpartisan organization that registers young voters at concerts, partnered with the students behind March for Our Lives and sent close to 1,000 volunteers to register marchers at Saturday's crowd in Washington, which numbered 800,000 people, according to organizers."

The events themselves were a remarkable show of force, which likely intimidated the NRA and its allies, but what should be of greater concern to opponents of gun reforms is the practical clarity of the March for Our Lives. These activists are acutely aware of their intended destination and they understand what they need to do to get there.
Benen
Indeed. Idealism matched with pragmatism is the way to get good things done.

Are other bodies or interests involved here? Of course. There is every reason for those of us on the left to support what all these women and youths are doing and saying. There's every reason for the Dem party to help out where they can. But the notions being promoted in right wing media that these kids from school where the shooting occurred are plants or hired actors or pawns of others are so ******* stupid it's a mindblower that anyone might imagine the charge to be true.

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:29 am
Apparently, Bill O'Reilly believes that Trump, just an ordinary fellow with the same natural sexual urges as other men have, is being unjustly targeted by a woman who, while being a terrible parent, just wants money.

So I thought it only fair we all should know that this fellow, an exemplar of honesty and proper treatment of women and a tragically victimized male, stands with Trump.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hey, if you'll give me the opportunity to restate my point a dozen time, i'll take it...

Or maybe you have a better historical precedent than Dreyfus, e.g. an American president who was once wrongly convicted for something he didn't do?

Smile
coldjoint

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:41 am
@thack45,
Quote:
I bet they wouldn't have happened if some guy didn't enter a school and mow down 17 people

You need to remember why it happened, it happened because countless tips and warnings were ignored by the police and FBI.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:10 pm
Fox News. We make stupid people stupider each and every day.
Quote:
Fox & Friends hosts didn’t mention Stormy Daniels once on Monday, but devoted a segment to Hillary
TP
coldjoint

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:13 pm
@blatham,
Progressive rhetoric
Quote:
We make stupid people stupider each and every day.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:15 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
Elsewhere in polling land,

Killary was going to win the election in a landslide. I wouldn't worry about the polls, although I can post the ones I like.
blatham

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:16 pm
Quote:
Alex Jones: March For Our Lives protests are part of a plot to overthrow the U.S. government and kill gun owners
MM

I'm expecting Trump to once again be a guest on this fellow's show. Desperate times, desperate measures.
0 Replies

nononono

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Fox News. We make stupid people stupider each and every day.

This is incredibly offensive.
blatham

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm
Who doesn't respect and admire the courage and integrity of the modern rightwing media's journalistic standards.
Quote:
Breitbart and other right-wing outlets push claims that compare Parkland survivor David Hogg to a Nazi
MM

If there's one thing that has become utterly clear over the last two years it's that self-identifying neo-nazis are steadfast in their opposition to President Trump and to modern right wing ideology.