monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:20 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump finally jettisoned National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster on Thursday afternoon. His replacement is John Bolton, the former ambassador to the United Nations in the Bush administration — and one of the most radically hawkish voices in American foreign policy.

Bolton has said the United States should declare war on both North Korea and Iran. He was credibly accused of manipulating US intelligence on weapons of mass destruction prior to the Iraq war and of abusive treatment of his subordinates. He once “joked” about knocking 10 stories off the UN building in New York. That means his new appointment to be the most important national security official in the White House has significant — and frightening — implications for Trump’s approach to the world.

Bolton’s new job was announced on Thursday evening, when the president tweeted that McMaster planned to resign and Bolton would replace him. “I am pleased to announce that, effective 4/9/18, [John Bolton] will be my new National Security Advisor,” the president wrote.

Bolton had been rumored to be the frontrunner for the job for months, but that doesn’t make the pick any less jarring. His track record in government, connections to anti-Muslim groups, and stated views in op-eds and public speeches all suggest that he will push Trump to take extremely dangerous positions on issues like North Korea, Iran, and ISIS.

“I operate on the assumption that John Bolton should be kept as far away from the levers of foreign policy as possible,” says Christopher Preble, the vice president for defense and foreign policy studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. “I think I would rest easy if he was dog catcher in Stone Mountain, Georgia. But maybe not.”

Bolton’s elevation illustrates the degree to which the president is influenced by the conservative infotainment sphere, most notably Fox News — where he has long been an on-air fixture. Bolton was, prior to this appointment, a marginal figure in Washington foreign policy circles since his departure from the Bush administration. But he got himself one of the top jobs in the country because of his savvy work in the world of conservative media and advocacy groups.

As a result, American foreign policy may be soon be shaped by someone who seems to truly believe that war is the answer to the world’s most pressing problems.

John Bolton’s early career shows why he’s a dangerous choice for national security adviser.

Bolton is, somewhat ironically, a quintessential creature of the Washington swamp.

After graduating Yale Law School in 1974, where he had become friends with future Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, he went into private practice in Washington. He made a name for himself working in conservative politics, becoming vice president of the right-wing American Enterprise Institute and serving in midlevel roles in the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations.

But it wasn’t until the George W. Bush administration that Bolton rose to greater prominence. In May 2001, Bush appointed him to be undersecretary of state for arms control, basically the top diplomat focusing on weapons of mass destruction. This position became fairly important in the runup to the Iraq War, as the Bush administration’s case against Saddam Hussein focused on his alleged nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons.

Bolton took the hardest of possible lines. He forcefully argued that Iraq had WMDs — “we are confident that Saddam Hussein has hidden weapons of mass destruction,” as he put in one 2002 speech. After Bush’s 2002 State of the Union speech connecting North Korea, Iraq, and Iran as an “axis of evil,” Bolton insisted that this wasn’t just rhetoric — that there was ‘’a hard connection between these regimes — an ‘axis’ along which flow dangerous weapons and dangerous technology.’’

He was involved in shaping US intelligence in the runup to the war — and not in a good way. In 2002, Bolton’s staff prepared a speech alleging that Cuba had an active biological weapons program. This wasn’t true, and the State Department’s lead bioweapons analyst at the time would not sign off on the claim. Per the analyst’s sworn testimony to Congress, Bolton then called the analyst into his office, screamed at him, and then sent for his boss. In this conversation, per the Washington Post’s David Ignatius, he derisively referred to the analyst as a “munchkin” and attempted to get him transferred to a different department.

This was cruel and unprofessional, but also dangerous. Carl Ford, then the assistant secretary of state for intelligence and research, testified that Bolton’s assault on the analyst had a “chilling effect” throughout the department, freezing out dissent on proliferation issues beyond Cuba. John Prados, a fellow at George Washington University’s National Security Archives, came to an even broader conclusion in a study of declassified Bush administration documents: Bolton bears a significant amount of blame for the politicized intelligence used to justify the decision to attack Iraq.

“Although Bolton’s actions did not concern Iraq directly, they came to a high point during the summer of 2002 — the exact moment when Iraq intelligence issues were on the front burner — and they aimed at offices which played a central role in producing Iraq intelligence,” Prados writes. “Analysts working on Iraq intelligence could not be blamed for concluding that their own careers might be in jeopardy if they supplied answers other than what the Bush administration wanted to hear.”

None of this got Bolton fired. In fact, it got him promoted: In March 2005, President Bush nominated him to be US ambassador to the UN, one of the most important diplomatic positions in the entire government.

Bolton’s Senate confirmation hearing turned into a vicious fight, largely over his role in shaping the faulty prewar intelligence about Iraq. But his management style, as exemplified by the munchkin incident, also became a huge issue. When Ford was called to testify before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he bluntly said Bolton’s personality should disqualify him from holding high office. Ford called him a “bully” who “kisses up and punches down,” among other things.

“I’m as conservative as John Bolton is,” Ford told the committee. “But the fact is that the collateral damage and the personal hurt that he causes is not worth the price that had to be paid.”

Multiple people who had worked with Bolton came out of the woodwork to speak to these issues. Perhaps the most harrowing such account came in an open letter written by a former federal contractor named Melody Townsel, recalling a time that she raised issues surrounding the use of funds in a contract Bolton was working on. He didn’t take it well:

Mr. Bolton proceeded to chase me through the halls of a Russian hotel — throwing things at me, shoving threatening letters under my door and, generally, behaving like a madman. For nearly two weeks, while I awaited fresh direction from my company and from US AID, John Bolton hounded me in such an appalling way that I eventually retreated to my hotel room and stayed there. Mr. Bolton, of course, then routinely visited me there to pound on the door and shout threats.

All in all, according to then-Sen. Joe Biden, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee at the time, testimony from at least five people confirmed multiple instances of Bolton behaving abusively toward subordinates and retaliating against intelligence professionals who challenged his policy positions. For these reasons, Bolton could not be confirmed by the Senate — which was, at the time, controlled by Republicans.

Much more at Vox

And this is guy Trump picked to be an advisor for our national security.
revelette1

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:22 am
Trump may veto spending bill, raising prospect of shutdown (The Hill)
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:28 am
Bill Murray: The Parkland kids remind me of those who protested Vietnam

Quote:
We are living in interesting times, and people are becoming politically activated who weren't previously.

I was thinking, looking at the kids in Parkland, Florida who have started these anti-gun protests, that it really was the students that began the end of the Vietnam War. It was the students who made all the news, and that noise started, and then the movement wouldn't stop. I think, maybe, this noise that those students in Florida are making — here, today — will do something of the same nature.

You've got to surround a deeply political issue like gun control or a war, to come at it from every single direction. You can't just focus on one thing, or aim for just the one goal.

Ending the Vietnam war was not a simple thing, either: You had to make sure that all our people were safe; we had to make sure that they were as safe that you could be. And, you might remember, people thought it was going to be the end of the world if we lost Vietnam. But that war had to stop.
MontereyJack

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:31 am
@revelette1,
John Bolton has spent his entire public life being an unbelievable slimeball. It is therefore entirely believable that Trump would appoint him to a high position in support of his mission to fill the swamp.
thack45

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:40 am
@hightor,

Yours is an easy post to miss amidst an entire page of ineffectual squabbling. Laughing

It's an interesting read, and causes me wonder if the administration will have anything to say about it.
hightor

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 07:43 am
@thack45,
Quote:
It's an interesting read, and causes me wonder if the administration will have anything to say about it.

It would be a very Putinesque game to play. Keep U.S. troops bogged down in an unwinnable conflict, prevent the establishment of a stable Afghanistan, and, of course, deny everything.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 08:34 am
Poisoning Our Own Food

I feel better, though, with Mr. Trump at the helm. I'm sure this concerns him and will be prioritized in his dynamic administration.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 08:44 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I'm sure this concerns him and will be prioritized in his dynamic administration.
You're sure that it was on Fox News?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Bolton’s views on Russia, Iraq and North Korea contradict almost everything Trump says
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:34 am
Don't you realize you simply reprinted the same information I printed from the Selective Service site???? That WAS my source.
What is particularly important is that even though you bolded a number of words there is absolutely nothing about denying young men the right to vote.

You can grip all you want but your main lie that women will get to vote even though they are not allowed to register but men will be denied to vote is a big fat lie

Frankly at some point in time the Hawks are probably going to necessitate a return to a draft, and I'm positive women will be required to register as well. But you are still going to feel resentful, because thats who you are, a person who needs to be resentful.

nononono wrote:

Where are your sources dum dum???

This literally took me 5 seconds to pull up.

Registration is the Law
Register to be Eligible for Benefits and Programs Linked to Registration —

A young MAN who fails to register with Selective Service may be ineligible for opportunities that may be important to his future. He must register to be eligible for federal student financial aid, state-funded student financial aid in many states, most federal employment, some state employment, security clearance for contractors, job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly known as the Workforce Investment Act), and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

STUDENT FINANCIAL AID

Men, born after December 31, 1959, who aren't registered with Selective Service won't qualify for federal student loans or grant programs. This includes Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG), Direct Stafford Loans/Plus Loans, National Direct Student Loans, and College Work Study.

CITIZENSHIP

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday.

FEDERAL JOB TRAINING

The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)) offers programs that can train young men seeking vocational employment or enhancing their career. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service. Only men born after December 31, 1959, are required to show proof of registration.

FEDERAL JOBS

A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal Government and the U.S. Postal Service. Proof of registration is required only for men born after December 31, 1959.

Security clearance background investigations will verify whether or not men are in compliance with federal law; thus, men who are required to be registered with the Selective Service System will be verified of their Selective Service registration status for security clearances, as well as for some contractors.

Penalties for Failing to Register

Failing to register or comply with the Military Selective Service Act is a FELONY punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison term of up to five years, or a combination of both. Also, a person who knowingly counsels, aids, or abets another to fail to comply with the Act is subject to the same penalties.

If a man fails to register, or provides Selective Service with evidence that he is exempt from the registration requirement, after receiving Selective Service reminder and/or compliance mailings, his name is referred to the Department of Justice for possible investigation and prosecution for his failure to register as required by the Act. For clarification, if a man is exempt from registering with the Selective Service System, his name is not forwarded to the Department of Justice. The federal law stipulates that names are to be submitted to the Department of Justice annually.

The more immediate penalty is if a man fails to register before turning 26 years old, even if he is not tried or prosecuted, he may find that some doors are permanently closed.

NOTE: Some states have added additional penalties for those who fail to register. See STATE LEGISLATION.

Registration is the Goal
Selective Service wants young men to register. It does not want them to be prosecuted or denied benefits. If a draft is ever needed, it must be as fair as possible, and that fairness depends on having as many eligible men as possible registered. In the event of a draft, for every man who fails to register, another man would be required to take his place in service to his country.

Where here does it mention wo-M E N???

Guess that's "equality" .

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register/Benefits-and-Penalties
coldjoint

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 10:48 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have reported you for repeatedly and willfully getting my screen name wrong-

Oh my, what a rapscallion. Are you serious? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:43 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Bolton - 1st showing of a neocon.

True, he is a neocon.

So you don't agree with that general philosophy?

It must, therefore, mean he is a demon in human skin. Rolling Eyes
coldjoint

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

Quote:
So you don't agree with that general philosophy?

Bolton, no doubt, will have many sleepless nights worrying about that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:47 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's not a witch hunt, just an enquiry. If Trump is innocent, he has nothing to fear. But if he colluded with the Russians to betray America, he deserves hell.

Captain Alfred Dreyfus (Le juif traître!) might beg to differ.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 11:51 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I don't blame them, Bolton, it is to vomit.

I strongly suspect that Bolton, introduced to your musings, would spit up in his mouth. I doubt however he would be so vulgar as to reveal it.

But you are so consequential.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:01 pm
@nimh,
I would never argue in favor of censoring language, but that doesn't mean that I need to be pleased or even tolerant of the coarse and vulgar.

Everyone has a choice in the words they use. Because you are not of the upper class doesn't excuse a lazy reliance on foul words.

I once walked past two men at a shopping center and heard one of them remark: "******* so what?" Can there be a more gratuitous and moronic use of the obscenity?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Bolton is a Maryland boy, who joined the National Guard in order to avoid being called up and actually having to serve in Viet Nam....but since then he hasn't seen a conflict he thinks other young men can't be sent to fight.

At the time Bolton joined the Maryland National Guard it was practically a lock you wouldn't be called up to be sent on active duty. But that was during the Vietnam war.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I have reported you for repeatedly and willfully getting my screen name wrong--

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time you refer to me as "Finny"
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm
@glitterbag,
And I'm sure among all of your friends there isn't a one who somehow managed to avoid the Vietnam era draft. How could there be when they are all ex-intel or retired Army or Navy
0 Replies

nononono

Fri 23 Mar, 2018 12:22 pm
@glitterbag,
How dense are you???

You found the information, yet can't even understand it.

The United States government can absolutely deny someone the right to vote based on having a felony. Plenty of young men found out about that during the Vietnam war!

in addition to that, MEN who don't register are subject to:

-being ineligible for federal student financial aid

-being ineligible state-funded student financial aid in many states

-being ineligible for most federal employment, some state employment

-being ineligible for security clearance for contractors

-being ineligible for job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly known as the Workforce Investment Act)

-ineligible to become a U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

And let's not forget

***Subject to a FELONY punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison term of up to five years, or a combination of both.***

Women are NOT subject to any of these punishments. Doesn't seem like a very "equitable" system to me!

As with literally all aspects of life, more is expected from men than is from women. Men have civic duty, while women do not.