monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Opinions can be informative, can't they?

Yeah, sho nuff. They can, for example, inform you of just how much of a sheep one who uncritically adopts the false claims (not even opinions, really) of others as their "considered opinion" can be, as was the case with Streep here.

She unwittingly embarrassed herself, and all the similar sheep in this forum should also be ashamed of their own gullibility

But, guess what, eh? They aint. They think they know the "facts" because they heard a slander on TV. They aint got no use for no stinkin facts. The chumps, them.

You can convince a chump of most anything except one thing: The fact that they have done been played.
farmerman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:10 pm
@layman,
Bow Meryl Streep really got it on the money. Pisses off the Dumpster Divers
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Bow Meryl Streep really got it on the money. Pisses off the Dumpster Divers

Heh, Bray on, Farmer, ya chump, ya. Ya done been played, boy.
cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:20 pm
@layman,
You guys are pretty ignorant. The facts are that Trump lies 96% of the time, and you guys give him a pass. Pure ignorance.
http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/09/trump-talking-lying-fact-checkers-find-96-trump-statements-degree-false.html
Your ignorance is the problem for this country; electing this liar, racial bigot, as our president.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are a racial bigot that lies 99% of the time... your ignorance trumps everyone's.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:27 pm
@tony5732,
Do you remember the scorn the liberals unleashed on "Joe the Plumber"? Remember how the liberal media attacked this private citizen who dared to offer his opinion? I wonder if DebraLaw felt the same sort of compassion for poor Joe as she did for the poor Meryl Streep? More than likely she rejoiced in a regular person being put in their place, how dare the peasant have an opinion that differs from the Hollywood elite who have no forum to project their opinions...
Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wait, aren't you the first ones who like to point out that free speech can only be hindered by the govt and that private citizens are not free from the consequences of their free speech?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You say this after the "thumbs down/thumbs up" debacle that had to be fixed on the site? Wasn't there a point in time here, when people who were right of center had a minimum of 10 down votes to their post they would make? If this also coming from the same person who advocates "ignoring" people they don't agree with for the simple reason that they don't agree?

How big a hypocrite can you be?
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:33 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1v3ekpVEAU7-fg.jpg:large
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://www.google.com/amp/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/7/25/12270880/donald-trump-racism-history?client=safari
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow, more fake news & lies from you.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Which is it? Does he lie 96% of the time or is he only truthful 7% of the time? You have given both stats, I'm just wondering which in is correct?
0 Replies

tony5732

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:36 pm
@maporsche,
I don't think so. Say for example, I said that " I like brown rice".

Does that mean you should like brown rice? Is that giving you the nutritional information of brown rice, giving you possible benefits/ consequences of eating brown rice? Does that tell you the cost of brown rice, maybe selling brown rice as a thrift food?

No.

All that means is I like brown rice. If I was super famous and said brown rice is good, the comment would still hold the same value. It's just an opinion.

This is the same amount of substance our super celebrity is giving in her speech.
maporsche

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:45 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

I don't think so. Say for example, I said that " I like brown rice".

Does that mean you should like brown rice? Is that giving you the nutritional information of brown rice, giving you possible benefits/ consequences of eating brown rice? Does that tell you the cost of brown rice, maybe selling brown rice as a thrift food?

No.

All that means is I like brown rice. If I was super famous and said brown rice is good, the comment would still hold the same value. It's just an opinion.

This is the same amount of substance our super celebrity is giving in her speech.

Maybe someone who values your opinion would like to know if you like brown rice.

Someone values these celebrities opinion. They put her on a stage and gave her time to talk to a national audience. Ratings were pretty good from what I understand. She's all over social media (in a good way).

Whether or not her opinion means anything is different from whether or not her opinion is informative. It's informative of her perspective on Trump if nothing else, and it looks like people find value in that. Just like your wife might find value in your opinion that brown rice is good when she's making your dinner.
layman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:45 pm
@tony5732,
Exactly. One's opinion is pretty meaningless is the absence of the assumptions and facts which leads a person to form his opinions.

I would bet $100 that Streep could not even begin to explain *why* (other than that's what she's been told) she believes that Trump mocked some handicap.

It's true that the guy he "mocked" had a handicap, but that's not what he was "mocking." It's kinda like saying that a white person is a "racist" if he disputes a black person's claim that 2 + 2 = 5.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:06 pm
How many more people will Pres. Obama pardon with felony gun charges?!

He's pardoned the MOST EVER. He's putting them BACK on the streets.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:10 pm
Hey, Frug. Are all Mexicans "criminals and rapists?" You also want to ban all Muslims from coming to our country? How are you and Trump gonna do that?
Baldimo

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Trump never called them all "criminals and rapists", that was the media who ran with a partial comment and people like you who continue to misquote the line to push a false narrative. As to the Muslims, he slightly changed his comment to limit the ban to countries that are putting out the most terrorists/terrorism into the world. Nothing wrong with keeping bad actors out of our country. There is no Constitutional right to be a refugee and there is nothing that says we have to accept everyone that wants to come here.

Your continued cry of bigot and racist is annoying if not false. If we get to hold things against people, why did the DNC honor Robert KKK Byrd? He was a known racist and member of the KKK, but most of the Dems don't seem to mind.
Frugal1

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Questions from a guy that blocked me weeks ago:

Quote:
Hey, Frug.

1. Are all Mexicans "criminals and rapists?"
2. You also want to ban all Muslims from coming to our country?
3. How are you and Trump gonna do that?

1. No.
2. If that's what it takes.
3. Within the constitutional rule of law.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:21 pm
@Baldimo,
Trump, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. "They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."