monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:30 pm
@blatham,
Need not worry, there is only one condition in which I will have "Alito-enthusiasm". In this instance I was just being a realist and showing hope that the court will at least hold just views; at least in some instances. I know there is one member on the evil side who will only make political decisions though.
coldjoint

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:33 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
I know there is one member on the evil side who will only make political decisions though.

So, tell us who he or she is, and why they would do that.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:16 pm
Quote:
President Trump’s attorneys have provided the special counsel’s office with written descriptions that chronicle key moments under investigation in hopes of curtailing the scope of a presidential interview, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Trump’s legal team recently shared the documents in an effort to limit any session between the president and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III to a few select topics, the people said. The lawyers are worried that Trump, who has a penchant for making erroneous claims, would be vulnerable in an hours-long interview.

The decision to share materials with Mueller’s team is part of an effort by Trump’s lawyers to minimize his exposure to the special counsel, whom the president recently attacked in a series of tweets.

WP
coldjoint

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:21 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
The decision to share materials with Mueller’s team is part of an effort by Trump’s lawyers to minimize his exposure to the special counsel, whom the president recently attacked in a series of tweets.

Trump's lawyers are there to be sure he is neither entrapped or framed. I guess the WP can't have that.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:18 pm
@BillW,
That sounds nice, but it’s just wishful thinking.

FBI agent/ supervisor Robyn Gritz was tortured with wild accusations and revolving investigations like the one Mueller is conducting against Trump now. She finally had to quit, which was their plan, when she ran out of money paying legal fees.

She was a whistleblower who’d filed an EEOC complaint against the FBI. McCabe was her senior.

These things aren’t supposed to happen, but they do.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:21 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
So when Jeff Sessions maneuvers his way around a Senator's question it's blatant lying but when Comey does it's what? Clever? Acceptable?

You said you was a defense attorney. If you were advising Comey, would you advise him to answer questions which weren't asked?

Sessions was asked point blank whether he met or had meetings with any Russians, he directly answered the question (can't remember right this minute, have a headache...) anyway, he directly answered the questions untruthfully. When he came back again to answer for those questions he said something to the affect he didn't think they were important. (will look it up later if asked.)

I never said I was a defense attorney. In fact, on more than one occasion I wrote that I am not a lawyer.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That should have read

I agree that Planned Parenthood is not attempting genocide
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:48 pm
@hightor,
My prior post should have read: I agree that Planned Parenthood is not attempting genocide, and as I wrote, I'm not convinced Sanger was either, but that doesn't mean she wasn't a racist who preferred that the human genome not be further contaminated by colored Negroes

As I also wrote, racism doesn't require hatred or animosity only the belief that one race is clearly inferior to another. Since the most obvious and ugly manifestations of racism include hatred we lose sight of the fact that the compassionate and well-meaning can and have been classic racists: Colonial missionaries for example. Many liberals for another.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:50 pm
@BillW,
Trouble is that leaking classified information to the press and lying under oath are not protected practices, and it is laughable to even suggest that McCabe was a whistle-blower.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:52 pm
@BillW,
And who is that? Bader-Ginsburg?
coldjoint

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And who is that? Bader-Ginsburg?

I think he is still thinking about it, I asked who he was talking about and nothing. It is amazing to say something and then refuse to answer anything about what you said.

Why post?
BillW

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 09:00 pm
The only formula for the Republicans to win the House and Senate in November - Impeach tRump, prosecute him and find him guilty; therefore removing him from the Presidency. Otherwise, many barren years lie ahead.

Oh please, oh please, oh please Republicans - continue doing exactly what you are doing now!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 09:00 pm
@coldjoint,
Billy Boy has all the A2K white supremacists on ignore; which is to say everyone who disagrees with him.
coldjoint

Mon 19 Mar, 2018 09:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Billy Boy has all the A2K white supremacists on ignore; which is to say everyone who disagrees with him.

No wonder he is so uninformed.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:02 am
More on Cambridge Analytica

Quote:
The UK's Information Commissioner says she will seek a warrant to look at the databases and servers used by British firm Cambridge Analytica.

The London-based company is accused of using the personal data of 50 million Facebook members to influence the US presidential election in 2016.

Its executives have also been filmed by Channel 4 News suggesting it could use honey traps and potentially bribery to discredit politicians.

The company denies any wrongdoing.

On Monday, Channel 4 News broadcast hidden camera footage in which Cambridge Analytica chief executive Alexander Nix appears to suggest tactics his company could use to discredit politicians online.

In the footage, asked what "deep digging" could be done, Mr Nix told an undercover reporter: "Oh, we do a lot more than that."

He suggested one way to target an individual was to "offer them a deal that's too good to be true and make sure that's video recorded".

He also said he could "send some girls around to the candidate's house..." adding that Ukrainian girls "are very beautiful, I find that works very well".

Mr Nix continued: "I'm just giving you examples of what can be done and what has been done."

Channel 4 News said its reporter had posed as a fixer for a wealthy client hoping to get a political candidate elected in Sri Lanka.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43465700
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 04:14 am
Quote:
Luridly retro ideas of what it means to be a man have caused a dangerous rush of testosterone around the world – from Modi’s Hindu supremacism to Trump’s nuclear brinkmanship.

(...)

Masculine power will always remain maddeningly elusive, prone to periodic crises, breakdowns and panicky reassertions. It is an unfulfillable ideal, a hallucination of command and control, and an illusion of mastery, in a world where all that is solid melts into thin air, and where even the ostensibly powerful are haunted by the spectre of loss and displacement. As a straitjacket of onerous roles and impossible expectations, masculinity has become a source of great suffering – for men as much as women.

Guardian
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 04:58 am
@BillW,
I was just being flip, Bill. It is encouraging. Whatever their political ideas and affiliations, there are a lot of things these SC members will not stoop too. Any one of them has a brain three times the size of Hannity and they are moderated by the institution itself.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:02 am
@revelette1,
How unusual to see Trump behaving like a lying bag of high-octane scumness.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:30 am
@hightor,
That's a great link, hightor! Thank you. Gender and social organization is a damned interesting subject area. I'm not on board with some of the notions held by the author but I'll leave that for another day.
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:47 am
Quote:
National Republicans — on the heels of the Roy Moore and Rick Saccone debacles — worry they’re staring down their latest potential midterm election fiasco: coal baron and recent federal prisoner Don Blankenship.

With Blankenship skyrocketing in the West Virginia Republican Senate primary and blanketing the airwaves with ads assailing his fractured field of rivals as career politicians, senior party officials are wrestling with how, or even whether, to intervene. Many of them are convinced that Blankenship, who served a one-year sentence after the deadly 2010 explosion at his Upper Big Branch Mine, would be a surefire loser against Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin — and potentially become a national stain for the party.
Politico

I'm not sure why the GOP is so concerned. Blankenship is one of the finest humans presently walking the planet.
0 Replies