monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 06:12 am
GOP leaders back second counsel (The Hill)
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 06:57 am
@revelette1,
Quite apparently, there's no ethical bottom for these guys.
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 06:59 am
Maddow has a very good piece up on Cambridge Analytica. Well worth your time link here
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 07:24 am
@hightor,
I read most if it and tried to finish it but honestly, it seems to me a big bag of sexist clichés sprinkled with a fair dose of bombastic adjectives.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 08:16 am
@blatham,
On that note:

Quote:
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), who introduced the bipartisan Congressional Harassment Reform Act last December, said on Monday that House and Senate leadership “stripped” provisions from the language from the spending bill at the eleventh hour.

“I am appalled that House and Senate leadership removed provisions from the omnibus bill at the last minute that would have finally brought accountability and transparency to Congress’s sexual harassment reporting process,” said Gillibrand in a statement released Monday.

Among its provisions, the act requires that members of Congress personally pay for sexual harassment settlements when they are found liable. Currently, lawmakers can tap taxpayer funds to settle with victims. Also, unless the victim opts for privacy, under the act, settlements would automatically be made public, thus lifting the veil of secrecy around the process.

The provisions, noted Gillibrand, passed unanimously in the House, and the act has broad support in the Senate.

“It begs the question: Who are they trying to protect? I can’t think of any legitimate reason to remove this language other than to protect members of Congress over taxpayers and congressional employees,” said Gillibrand, who on Monday called on the Senate leadership to bring the legislation to the floor for an immediate vote.

TP

I don't know how this can be defended, but I guess the usual suspects will find a way.
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:19 am
And as the sun dawns over the Land of Liberty, another high school shooting.

As God said, "Look. I didn't invent guns for show-offs, or for pretending cowboys like George Bush, or for any damned fancy-pants liberals. I invented guns for conservatives so they could kill other people. Lots of other people. Never ever give up this right I gave you to have guns and use them the way I intended."
revelette1

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:29 am
Lawmakers await bill to avert government shutdown
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:35 am
@blatham,
I read where three were sent to the hospital including the shooter who likely (not sure) shot by the security guard. Doubt it makes any difference in what ends up in any bills. Apparently there is an omnibus where lots of items gets included in bills, I don't think any gun control measures will make it in.

update:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/03/20/shooting-reported-maryland-high-school/440981002/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:48 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
And as the sun dawns over the Land of Liberty

The land you wish to take liberty away from. A little confused, huh?
thack45

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:30 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
And as the sun dawns over the Land of Liberty

The land you wish to take liberty away from. A little confused, huh?

You'll have to excuse our friend Blatham. He's obviously either not aware, or pretending not to know that freedom isn't free
coldjoint

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:33 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
You'll have to excuse our friend Blatham.

Sorry, but excuses are just that. They have little to do with the actual problem.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:34 pm
@thack45,
The orderly hasn't given him his meds yet today, forgive the poor thing, it knows not what is right and just!
oralloy

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:41 pm
@BillW,
Does the medicine help Blatham understand the value of freedom?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:41 pm
Quote:
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt spent more than $120,000 in public funds last summer for a trip to Italy that included a meeting of G-7 ministers and a private tour of the Vatican.

The known cost of Pruitt’s previously reported trip grew this week after the agency disclosed a heavily censored document showing expenses for Pruitt’s security detail cost more than $30,500. That’s on top of nearly $90,000 spend for food, hotels, commercial airfare and a military jet used by Pruitt and nine EPA staff.
TPM

The guy is a ******* parasite.
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:44 pm
Better late than never but jesus it took you a long time, bub.
Quote:
Fox News Contributor Leaves Network He Calls ‘Propaganda Machine’

A Fox News contributor announced in a lengthy and scathing email to colleagues that he had not renewed his contract with the network, which he called a “propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration,” BuzzFeed News reported Tuesday.

Retired Lt. Col. Ralph Peters wrote in the email, which BuzzFeed obtained and published, that he felt “Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among viewers.”

“Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the association,” he added. “Now I am ashamed.”
TPM
blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:50 pm
This guy seems sane.
Quote:
A Republican lawmaker in Pennsylvania is trying to impeach five state Supreme Court justices who voted that the state’s gerrymandered congressional map was unconstitutional.

Rep. Cris Dush has introduced resolutions to impeach Justices Kevin Dougherty, Christine Donohue, Debra McClosky Todd, and David Wecht, accusing them of misbehavior in office. A fifth resolution to impeach Justice Max Baer is pending as well.
TP
0 Replies

coldjoint

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:50 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Fox News Contributor Leaves Network He Calls ‘Propaganda Machine’

Did you watch him on Fox? He called Obama a pussy. That is where he peaked, it has been downhill ever since.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:53 pm
And this guy is like really sane and smart too
Quote:
Alex Jones defends integrity of Russia’s elections: Putin can't be a dictator, he won 76 percent of the vote
MM

That is some sophisticated political and historical thinking. Admirable intellect.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 06:02 pm
Quote:
Federal judge doesn’t hold back on Kris Kobach’s deceit of Kansas voters

A Kansas federal judge had sharp words for Republican Secretary of State Kris Kobach during a contempt hearing Tuesday, accusing him of misleading the court and failing to inform voters whose registrations were previously suspended that they are eligible to vote.
TP

That a meteorite did not land on this repugnant human at any point in the last decade is the reason I'm an atheist.
coldjoint

Tue 20 Mar, 2018 06:06 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
That a meteorite did not land on this repugnant human at any point in the last decade is the reason I'm an atheist.

Nothing like liberals wishing someone dead while calling others haters and bigots. Priceless.
0 Replies