monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 06:14 am
@oralloy,
Nonsense. Nixon was as bent and crooked as /trump. No, wait, he was less crooked than Trump but still a crook. The GOP should be outlawed for supporting and "electing" a crook undemocratically.
blatham

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 06:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But while Americans have always known they don't all share the same politics, more of them are now questioning whether their political opponents even share their same values.
Undeniably the situation now, I think. The interesting questions revolve around how this has come about.
blatham

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 06:21 am
In the name of The Holy, I am going to murder the next individual I bump into who uses the term "dramedy".
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 06:38 am
@Lash,
I'm not sure what you are thinking here, lash. Who would you categorize as "the architects"? And do you hold that politics is inevitably anti-democratic?
revelette1

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 07:45 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The whole thing right now seems to be a project to get rid of the Keebler Elf so someone else can fire Rosenstein so that someone else can fire Mueller.

Trump-Mueller Showdown Looms as Lawyer Urges End to Probe

Trump: 'Mueller probe should never have been started'
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 08:05 am
Quote:
The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Special Counsel Robert Mueller has requested that a data analytics company called Cambridge Analytica turn over internal documents as part of its investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election.

Cambridge Analytica specializes in what’s called “psychographic” profiling, meaning they use data collected online to create personality profiles for voters. They then take that information and target individuals with specifically tailored content.

So far there’s been a lot of speculation about the potential links between the Trump campaign and Russia, and most of the stories have orbited around the financial dealings of the Trump family and people like Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign manager. But this story is specifically about how team Trump, with the help of this data company, might have facilitated Russia’s meddling in the US presidential election.

So here’s what we know about Cambridge Analytica, its connections to the Trump campaign, and what sorts of things Mueller is likely looking into.

More at
Vox
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The margins aren't large but this seems to suggest that Trump Approvers are somewhat less likely to make the issue personal.
revelette1

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
And more likely to ignore ethical and potentially illegal actions of Trump's so long as they get their tax cuts, their conservative judges and other conservative agenda items. Like he said, he could shoot somebody on the street...
Lash

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:44 am
@blatham,
There are individuals and groups who weren’t elected that have an inordinate degree of sway in this country.

I consider them the ‘architects’ of public policy.

I know the US wasn’t really designed as a democracy, but even the semblance that we aspire to democratic representation is fading, IMO.

While we’re ticking off my list of fist-shaking irritants, why is the CIA/FBI cabal of shadowy unelected, unaccountable spies and assassins - roundly excoriated by lefties in the 60s and 70s — suddenly unimpeachable by the same group??

It’s insane.

I guess sometimes when I see you consistently attacking one party and consistently giving the other a complete pass on what they’re doing, it just makes me want to pull the curtain back.

We should find a way to change this completely broken country. It’s astonishing to see people I consider intelligent still taking part in this tribal sport that was set up to distract us.
ehBeth

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:56 am
@hightor,
I still think Obama should have stuck with his original statement. I lost even more respect for him when he backed down on that. I would rather have had him double down on it. There is such a thing as too much courtesy.
ehBeth

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 10:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That makes great sense to some (raises hand) observers of the US who have long wondered how it ever worked as a country.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:06 am
Quote:
U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions' testimony that he opposed a proposal for President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign team to meet with Russians has been contradicted by three people who told Reuters they have spoken about the matter to investigators with Special Counsel Robert Mueller or congressional committees.

Sessions testified before Congress in November 2017 that he "pushed back" against the proposal made by former campaign adviser George Papadopoulos at a March 31, 2016 campaign meeting. Then a senator from Alabama, Sessions chaired the meeting as head of the Trump campaign's foreign policy team.

"Yes, I pushed back," Sessions told the House Judiciary Committee on Nov. 14, when asked whether he shut down Papadopoulos' proposed outreach to Russia. Sessions has since also been interviewed by Mueller.

Three people who attended the March campaign meeting told Reuters they gave their version of events to FBI agents or congressional investigators probing Russian interference in the 2016 election. Although the accounts they provided to Reuters differed in certain respects, all threes, who declined to be identified, said Sessions had expressed no objections to Papadopoulos' idea.

However, another meeting attendee, J.D. Gordon, who was the Trump campaign's director of national security, told media outlets including Reuters in November that Sessions strongly opposed Papadopoulos' proposal and said no one should speak of it again. In response to a request for comment, Gordon said on Saturday that he stood by his statement.

Sessions, through Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores, declined to comment beyond his prior testimony. The special counsel's office also declined to comment. Spokeswomen for the Democrats and Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee did not immediately comment.

Reuters was unable to determine whether Mueller is probing discrepancies in accounts of the March 2016 meeting.

The three accounts, which have not been reported, raise new questions about Sessions' testimony regarding contacts with Russia during the campaign.

Sessions previously failed to disclose to Congress meetings he had with former Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, and testified in October that he was not aware of any campaign representatives communicating with Russians.

Some Democrats have seized on discrepancies in Sessions' testimony to suggest the attorney general may have committed perjury. A criminal charge would require showing Sessions intended to deceive. Sessions told the House Judiciary Committee that he had always told the truth and testified to the best of his recollection.

Legal experts expressed mixed views about the significance of the contradictions cited by the three sources.

Sessions could argue he misremembered events or perceived his response in a different way, making any contradictions unintentional, some experts said.

Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University, said Sessions' words might be too vague to form the basis of a perjury case because there could be different interpretations of what the term pushing back means.

"If you're talking about false statements, prosecutors look for something that is concrete and clear," he said.

Other legal experts said, however, that repeated misstatements by Sessions could enable prosecutors to build a perjury case against him.

"Proving there was intent to lie is a heavy burden for the prosecution. But now you have multiple places where Sessions has arguably made false statements," said Bennett Gershman, a Pace University law professor.

The March 2016 campaign meeting in Washington was memorialized in a photo Trump posted on Instagram of roughly a dozen men sitting around a table, including Trump, Sessions and Papadopoulos.

Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty in October to lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his Russia contacts, is now cooperating with Mueller.

According to court documents released after his guilty plea, Papadopoulos said at the campaign meeting that he had connections who could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Papadopoulos continued to pursue Russian contacts after the March 2016 meeting and communicated with some campaign officials about his efforts, according to the court documents.

Trump has said that he does not remember much of what happened at the "very unimportant" campaign meeting. Trump has said he did not meet Putin before becoming president.

Moscow has denied meddling in the election and Trump has denied his campaign colluded with Russia.

Reuters
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:10 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The students aren't "making gun laws", they're protesting the NRA

Don't tell the students that, the agitators have told them differently. What if a bunch of kids marched against the money politicians take from Planned Parenthood? Would any of you take it seriously?
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:43 am
@revelette1,
So you obviously come down on the side of Trump supporters not sharing any of your values. America needs more ideologues like you!
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:49 am
@Lash,
You know the answer to your question. The leftists here who now are super-fans of the CIA and FBI are hypocrites. If CIA sponsored death squads were raping and killing right-wing nuns they would have argued that you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette
coldjoint

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So you obviously come down on the side of Trump supporters not sharing any of your values.

I think Trump supporters are pretty happy not to share her values. Values do not change for Trump voters, her values do to suit the need at the time. Hypocritical self serving nonsense.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I didn't say they didn't share the same values. I said they are ignoring their own values. They would have to be, imo. I am just saying those in power right now are taking advantage of majorities in both houses with a republican in the WH and ignoring anything negative about Trump and some of the more normal republicans are too as well for the same reason (also in my opinion.) Most of the others are deplorable's.
hightor

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:58 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
There is such a thing as too much courtesy.

Yup. In a way the episode was sort of preview to similar instances which happened over the next eight years. One thing, however — we know Trump won't make that mistake!
hightor

Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If CIA sponsored death squads were raping and killing right-wing nuns they would have argued that you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette

Who says they're not doing horrible stuff somewhere? I'm not a "fan" of either agency. But I've been around long enough to understand that their duties cover many different areas. I've never begrudged the FBI for its work against organized crime and I respect a lot of the intelligence-gathering and analytical work of the CIA — what the politicians do with the intelligence is another matter. Like just about every other government agency, they do some good stuff, they do some bad stuff, and they generate a lot of paper waste. Blanket ap0proval makes no more sense than blanket condemnation.
0 Replies