monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:54 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
So what was it? A half million illegal and legal (haha!) criminals are released? Or they had their records expunged because a bureaucratic dispute was settled in favor of one agency over another?

Read the link. I will not answer loaded questions.

Quote:
— after having just said that authorities had no idea what these people did.

Pay attention. They did not know what they did after Obama wiped their record. Do you have comprehension problems?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:56 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Right. Because Trump has zero influence in Washington. Hell, he's been saying the nicest things about McCabe for quite a while.

The FBI will detail its report and the reasons will be listed, and then the public will see it. Why are you trashing the FBI? They fired him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 03:34 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Now Sessions is making a decision that not only conflicts with his promise to recuse,

How so?

He agreed to recuse himself from the Russian Investigation, not the Justice Department.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 03:59 pm
@revelette1,
Is there nothing Obama did or could have done that you won't even question?
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 03:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ decision to fire former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe appears to directly violate the promise he made, under oath, to recuse himself from such matters.

Some might contend that Sessions’ recusal covered only the Clinton and Trump campaigns, and that McCabe’s firing involved the Clinton Foundation investigation as a separate matter. But Sessions unequivocally assured senators of his intentions during his confirmation hearings in response to a clear and specific question from the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA). Sen. Grassley asked a follow-up question that went right to the point. In response, Sessions very clearly said his recusal would cover any matters involving the Clinton Foundation.

Here is the full exchange:

GRASSLEY: During the course of the presidential campaign, you made a number of statements about the investigation of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, relating to her handling of sensitive emails and regarding certain actions of the Clinton Foundation. You weren’t alone in that criticism. I was certainly critical in the same way as were millions of Americans on those matters, but now, you’ve been nominated to serve as attorney general. In light of those comments that you made, some have expressed concerns about whether you can approach the Clinton matter impartially in both fact and appearance. How do you plan to address those concerns?

SESSIONS: Mr. Chairman, it was a highly contentious campaign. I, like a lot of people, made comments about the issues in that campaign. With regard to Secretary Clinton and some of the comments I made, I do believe that that could place me objectivity in question. I’ve given that thought.

I believe the proper thing for me to do, would be to recuse myself from any questions involving those kind of investigations that involve Secretary Clinton and that were raised during the campaign or to be otherwise connected to it.

GRASSLEY: OK. I think, that’s — let me emphasize then with a follow up question. To be very clear, you intend to recuse yourself from both the Clinton e-mail investigation and any matters involving the Clinton Foundation, if there are any?

SESSIONS: Yes.

This exchange has two implications for how one understands the scope of Sessions’ recusal. First, it goes to defining the scope of the recusal that Sessions made on March 2, 2017. If it is a close call whether the Clinton Foundation matter is sufficiently connected to the Clinton campaign for purpose of understanding Sessions’ recusal, it should be deemed to be sufficiently connected. After all, that’s essentially what Sessions told Sen. Grassley. Second, if the Clinton Foundation matter is deemed outside the scope of the recusal statement that Sessions made back in March last year, then his decision to fire McCabe shows that he failed to honor the promise for a broader recusal which he clearly made to the Senate in its decision to confirm him as Attorney General. The same goes for Hillary Clinton’s emails. Sen. Grassley’s questions and Sessions’ answers specifically covered any matters involving that investigation as well.

source

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:05 pm
@hightor,
Right now, as respects McCabe's firing, all we have are one-sided assumptions from the left, none of which are particularly convincing.

If Trump's tweets are all you need for your proof, how about Obama going on national tv and announcing that Clinton didn't do anything wrong before the investigation was completed. Obviously a lot more subtle than Trump, but I don't think you have to knock people over the head when you are president.
roger

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:09 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:

GRASSLEY: OK. I think, that’s — let me emphasize then with a follow up question. To be very clear, you intend to recuse yourself from both the Clinton e-mail investigation and any matters involving the Clinton Foundation, if there are any?

SESSIONS: Yes.

I'm not seeing how this could be extended to the McCabe firing.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:10 pm
@revelette1,
Try slapping his face and see how the Secret Service agents who acknowledge him for what he is, POTUS, will react.

You know when Nancy Pelosi was Speaker I tried the refusal to acknowledge her as such gambit, and by Golly it worked! She instantly disappeared off the face of the earth.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
how about Obama going on national tv and announcing that Clinton didn't do anything wrong before the investigation was completed.

Don't forget he(obama) called the Cambridge police force stupid, and compared Trayvon "he could have been my son" to a juvenile delinquent he could have fathered. Divisive and corrupt from day one of his administration.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:20 pm
@roger,
Apparently McCabe got fired because he talked to reporters concerning matters related to the Clinton foundation. Sessions recused himself from all matters related to both the Clinton foundation and the 2016 campaign with regards to the Hillary's emails; from what I gathered. Since Sessions recused himself from all matters related to the Clinton foundation, then when McCabe was fired from the FBI, Sessions should have stood aside and let the next person in line accept it or not accept it.

(on a previous post of mine there is a link to the exchange during Session's confirmation (of which there was several lies of his) hearing.)
roger

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:38 pm
@revelette1,
Sounds like a stretch, but maybe.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:38 pm
@revelette1,
A key man here is Rosenstein. He will have to fire Mueller. I don't think he will do that, so it will be up to Sessions to fire Rosenstein. But Sessions can't do that because he recused himself (unless their is some other trumped up charge). So it seems to me that Trump needs to fire Sessions to get rid of
Rosenstein and Mueller.
Is that the way others here see it?
hightor

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:52 pm
Finn wrote:
If Trump's tweets are all you need for your proof, how about Obama going on national tv and announcing that Clinton didn't do anything wrong before the investigation was completed.

He made a mistake. It was wrong. He should have known better. However, it would have been better had both sides waited until the investigation was completed. As it was, the politicization of the issue only made it certain that a finding which came down on either side would be seen by the other as unjust or crooked.

coldjoint wrote:
Don't forget he(obama) called the Cambridge police force stupid, and compared Trayvon "he could have been my son" to a juvenile delinquent he could have fathered.

He said that a professor getting busted by a cop while trying to enter his own home was "stupid". It was one of those dumb things that could have been prevented. He apologized quickly for his choice of words.

You've misconstrued the Martin comment entirely. The fact is that male black teens off their own turf are pretty regularly hassled by people in authority. For the same reasons that black professors get hassled when they're spotted in white neighborhoods at night. If you want to criticize the previous president and/or his administration you should try to develop arguments which don't sound like they originated around a high school lunch table.
blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:13 pm
It was just such a mistake to even consider setting up the Department of Justice to be independent from control by the White House. Silly, romantic, delusional liberal idea.
revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yeah, it was just crappy the way they did it, only a day before him getting his pension. He had already resigned, so stripping him of his pension was just Trump getting revenge against someone he'd seen as too close to Comey whom he hates.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:17 pm
Quote:
The Nancy Pelosi Problem
The first female speaker of the House has become the most effec­tive congressional leader of modern times—and, not coinciden­tally, the most vilified. - PETER BEINART
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:23 pm
I admire and respect modern Republicans so very much
Quote:
A candidate for Maine’s state legislature has quit the race after being condemned by both Democrats and Republicans for calling a survivor of a mass shooting at a Florida high a “skinhead lesbian.”

Leslie Gibson described his decision to end his campaign for a seat in the Maine House of Representatives as “the best thing for everybody.”

Just days after the massacre last month in Parkland Florida, Gibson — a life-long member the National Rifle Association (NRA) — took to Twitter to post cruel and derisive comments about Emma Gonzalez, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
TP
blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:27 pm
One more reason (there are so many) to respect modern Republicans
Quote:
Georgia Republicans are advancing a bill through the state legislature that would suppress African-American turnout by eliminating Sunday voting and cutting the hours that polls are open in Atlanta.

The bill, SB 363, would force polls in the majority African American city of Atlanta to close an hour earlier — 7 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. — and would eliminate early voting on the Sunday before Election Day. That Sunday is often a high-turnout day for African American voters because of Souls to the Polls events that encourage people to cast ballots early after attending church.
TP
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 05:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Department of Justice to be independent from control by the White House. Silly, romantic, delusional liberal idea.

Considering you just lived through Obama you are absolutely correct.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:32 pm
@blatham,
The campaign to get an opponent for him was fabulous.