monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 01:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Just sick, a sickening administration.
BillW

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 01:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Impeachment is a political action, not a legal fact. Whatever makes the House come to the conclusion that an impeachable act occur, then it can impeach. Doesn't even have to be a felony, just a misdemeanor. Then the Senate convicts.
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
John Dowd is Trumps personal lawyer and can only express concern for his client, Trump.....he has no official standing in government so Dowd calling for an end to the investigation would be like me asking for it to be abandoned.

Since several people have already pleaded guilty (unclear to me what the charges are) in exchange for a deal, the Justice Department will continue to move forward. Trump can fire anyone he wishes but I believe it would be a huge mistake. Evidence already collected in this matter can’t be made to disappear and the safety of the American people and the country far outweighs any fit of pique by Donald Trump. If treason has been committed by any member of this cluster-freeping administration, it will be revealed and punished.
revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:09 pm
Donald Trump’s corrupt firing of Andrew McCabe

Quote:
“When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history.”

That’s John Brennan, the former CIA director, slamming Donald Trump after his attorney general fired former FBI Director Andrew McCabe. Those are not normal comments from a former CIA director. But then, these are not normal times.

McCabe’s firing shows how Trump has corroded the operations of the American government. There are real questions about McCabe’s performance at the FBI. But there are even deeper questions about Trump’s public vendetta against McCabe, and the role Sessions played in his termination.

McCabe is not innocent of wrongdoing. He made a questionable call (at best) about allowing a leak to the press during the 2016 campaign and then he appears to have lied about it, though he says it was an honest mistake. You can imagine a normal administration, and a normal process, weighing McCabe’s actions carefully and seriously.

But none of this is why Trump wanted McCabe gone, and “carefully and seriously” is not how the process was conducted. Trump wanted McCabe gone because of McCabe’s involvement in the Justice Department investigation of Russian meddling in the campaign. Trump thinks McCabe is a Comey-aligned Democrat who was biased against him. Trump believes his political appointees should protect him. Trump has been explicit in public about all of this. And he has spent months publicly slandering McCabe and pressuring Sessions to fire him.

Trump’s campaign had already worked. McCabe announced his retirement. The Trump administration fired him on Friday not to remove him from government, but to deny him the pension earned for over 20 years of government service. It was an act of punishment, not of personnel management.

This, then, is part of the cost of Trump’s daily venality: even when his administration makes a decision that might be justifiable on its own terms, the process by which that decision was made cannot be trusted, and may indeed be a scandal in its own right.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Connecticut Democrat who serves on the Judiciary Committee, called the McCabe firing “added evidence of obstruction of justice.”

Should Andrew McCabe have been fired?

It’s worth beginning with what McCabe is said to have done wrong. As my colleagues explain:

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz found that, in 2016, McCabe inappropriately allowed two top officials to speak to reporters about his decision to open a case into the Clinton Foundation. That incident was under investigation as part of a broader look into how the FBI and Justice Department handled themselves during the 2016 presidential election.

But McCabe apparently lied about his authorization during an interview with the months-long probe. That led the FBI to recommend firing McCabe — a recommendation Sessions just accepted.

“The FBI expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and accountability. As the OPR proposal stated, ‘all FBI employees know that lacking candor under oath results in dismissal and that our integrity is our brand,’ Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement provided by the Justice Department.

McCabe disputes this interpretation. In his searing statement upon being fired, he wrote:

Quote:
The OIG investigation has focused on information I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor. As Deputy Director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the Director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter. It was the same type of exchange with the media that the Deputy Director oversees several times per week. In fact it was the same type of work that I continued to do under Director Wray, at his request. The investigation subsequently focused on who I talked to, when I talked to them, and so forth. During these inquiries, I answered questions truthfully and as accurately as I could amidst the chaos that surrounded me. And when I thought my answers were misunderstood, I contacted investigators to correct them.

Sessions’ explanation of the firing boils down to this line: “Integrity is our brand.” The Department of Justice cannot afford even the perception of malfeasance or improper behavior.

But this is coming from an attorney general who appears to be crossing ethical lines himself in making this decision. Sessions recused himself, in no uncertain terms, from any questions related to the investigations into the Clinton campaign or Russia’s involvement in the 2016 election:

Quote:
Mr. Chairman, it was a highly contentious campaign. I, like a lot of people, made comments about the issues in that campaign. With regard to Secretary Clinton and some of the comments I made, I do believe that that could place me objectivity in question. I’ve given that thought.

I believe the proper thing for me to do, would be to recuse myself from any questions involving those kind of investigations that involve Secretary Clinton and that were raised during the campaign or to be otherwise connected to it.

But now Sessions is firing McCabe for activities undeniably related to the Clinton investigation, and after public pressure from Trump, who is explicitly angry at McCabe for activities relating to the Russia investigation, which Sessions is also recused from.

Indeed, Trump has carried out this vendetta with McCabe for months, and done so in public, in harshly personal terms:

Quote:
Donald J Trump
@realDonaldTrump
FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe is racing the clock to retire with full benefits. 90 days to go?!!!

Nor did Trump merely pressure Sessions behind-the-scenes. The whole country was witness to his campaign:

Quote:
Donald J Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Why didn't A.G. Sessions replace Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, a Comey friend who was in charge of Clinton investigation but got....

It is difficult to believe that the full weight of the presidency was focused on firing McCabe for improperly authorizing FBI officials to speak to the Wall Street Journal or even hiding it later. Indeed, few believe that.

The force of the White House was brought down on McCabe because of McCabe’s role overseeing the Russia probe, and because of McCabe’s ties to James Comey, who Trump loathes. Indeed, Trump hasn’t even sought to hide that fact:

Quote:
Donald J Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy. Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!

Sessions has his own personal and professional reasons to get rid of McCabe. Sessions angered Trump when he stepped back from the investigations, leaving Trump exposed to inquiries from Robert Mueller. Trump has publicly mocked Sessions for months in what is clearly a pressure campaign to get Sessions to resign.

Now Sessions is making a decision that not only conflicts with his promise to recuse, but is exactly what his boss want from him — an olive branch to a man who might fire him, and that comes at a time when Trump is known to be looking for administration appointees to fire. Whatever damage McCabe did to the FBI’s brand is nothing compared to the damage Sessions is doing to the Department of Justice’s brand. Who could possibly look at this episode and believe Sessions acted independent of Trump’s pressure?

McCabe acted improperly enough that it is possible to justify his termination. But Trump and Sessions have acted improperly enough that it is hard to trust the process that led to McCabe’s termination, or to believe that this is anything but what it looks like: an effort to punish and humiliate a perceived political enemy, and to send a message to others who might investigate Trump that they do so at their peril.

This is the problem with a White House occupied by a vengeful chief executive who has little respect for institutional independence, rule of law, or government transparency. Trump cannot be trusted to carry out decisions like this one fairly or impartially, and so the decisions themselves cannot be trusted. Integrity is not their brand.
coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:17 pm
Quote:
Quote:

Obama DOJ Forced FBI To Delete 500,000 Fugitives From Background Check Database

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department under Barack Obama directed the FBI to drop more than 500,000 names of fugitives with outstanding arrest warrants from the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, acting FBI deputy director David Bowdich testified Wednesday.

Another story telling Americans that Obama had no regard for their lives. This is right out of Cloward/Piven. The object is to overload the system until it breaks. Democrats luvs thems some criminals, legal or illegal. Should help in the midterms.

That post is the last post in the "Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans" thread from two days ago. There is no reply or a post after that. Why? Doesn't anyone want to acknowledge what Obama did and his disregard for American lives?

Sure does not look like it. Also I can only assume it is accepted as truth.

revelette1

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:20 pm
@coldjoint,
I didn't see it, don't really see the big deal. Probably was long overdue.
blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Caligula... cheated in golf.
That's the bond between him and I.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:23 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Assaults Increased When Cities Hosted Trump Rallies, Study Finds
Surprised expressions all around.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:28 pm
@coldjoint,
This is typical:
coldjoint wrote:
Authorities had no idea of what these people had done so proper steps could be taken.

Then the very next line:
Quote:
There were murderers and assorted sexual monsters, not to mention thugs unleashed on Americans.

Obviously you're no "authority" since you claim to know what these people had done.

Meanwhile,
Quote:
Fugitives are among the groups of people who are barred from buying a gun under federal law. But who actually qualifies has been the subject the subject of an almost decade-long dispute between the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The FBI had argued that a fugitive from justice was anyone with an outstanding warrant, regardless of whether they had crossed state lines to avoid prosecution. The ATF, which is charged with retrieving any guns sold to fugitives, said it should apply only if those people had fled a state to avoid prosecution there.

In a Feb. 15 memo, the Justice Department sided with the ATF — and the narrower definition.The change also applies to anyone who has knowingly left a state to avoid testifying in a criminal case.

source

Seems funny that the gun lobby was quick to restore gun rights to the mentally defective but opportunistically take the opposite tack when a long running dispute between government agencies about the definition of "fugitive" is settled because it might make it more difficult for someone's name to show up on a background check.
Quote:
It was the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel [in the Obama administration] that reviewed the law and believed that it needed to be interpreted so that if someone was a fugitive in a state, there had to be indications that they had crossed state lines.

conservative tribune

It's a legal ruling and we all know that gunbunnies revere the rule of law.
blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:33 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
and McCabe is gone
2 days before he was scheduled to retire

It is such a disgrace I have no words.
It is disgraceful but what is left for this man to disgrace. Trump has exceeded the negative expectations most of us had about him. Punishing/bullying with a motive of self-protection and covering up corruption is probably any dictator's first response.

Increasingly, it looks as though Trump is purposefully heading towards a full rejection of the Meuller investigation and its findings. That's not going to be pretty. Someone (I can't recall who) suggested that if this happens, then Americans should call for and enact a nation-wide strike. I think so too.
coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:36 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
It is disgraceful but what is left for this man to disgrace. Trump has exceeded the negative expectations most of us had about him.

Mc Cabe was fired by the organization he worked for, not president Trump. And people like him are only fired for very good reasons. Or are you now trashing the FBI?
blatham

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Actually, I do. I'll take your left ear.
Nope. I need that ear to hold flowers so that Polynesian women know I'm available. Plus you'd have to reimburse me for seven piercings and seven beer-can tabs.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:49 pm
@coldjoint,
Wait a second. First you say:
Quote:
Authorities had no idea of what these people had done so proper steps could be taken.

Then you defend yourself:
Quote:
...a person in authority said it.

— after having just said that authorities had no idea what these people did. That really makes a lot of sense.

Now look at this:
Quote:
You do not see that releasing a half a million criminals, illegal and legal a big deal?

Then you say:
Quote:
That means their records were gone.

So what was it? A half million illegal and legal (haha!) criminals are released? Or they had their records expunged because a bureaucratic dispute was settled in favor of one agency over another?

coldjoint

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:50 pm
https://i1.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2018/03/Collusion-wishing-well.jpeg

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/03/the-week-in-pictures-the-gathering-stormy-daniels-edition.php
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 17 Mar, 2018 02:51 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Mc Cabe was fired by the organization he worked for, not president Trump.

Right. Because Trump has zero influence in Washington. Hell, he's been saying the nicest things about McCabe for quite a while.