monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:44 am
Trump’s ‘joke’ about Japanese car inspections dropping bowling balls leaves Tokyo perplexed

Quote:
A remark made by U.S. President Donald Trump, that Japan drops bowling balls on U.S. cars during inspection to shut them out of the market, later described as a joke by the White House, has left Tokyo perplexed.

During a fundraising speech in Missouri on Wednesday that was transcribed by The Washington Post on Thursday, Trump criticized Japan for conducting unfair inspections on U.S. cars to keep them out of the Japanese market.

“It’s called the bowling ball test, do you know what that is? That’s where they take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and they drop it on the hood of the car. And if the hood dents, then the car doesn’t qualify. Well, guess what, the roof dented a little bit, and they said, nope, this car doesn’t qualify. It’s horrible, the way we’re treated. It’s horrible,” he reportedly said.

In Tokyo on Friday, a Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry official in charge of vehicle inspections said the president’s remarks were based on “a mere misunderstanding,” saying Japan has never conducted such tests.

(...)

Japan Times
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 12:59 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
If he has gotten rid of the more established moneyed influences he had around him; he is going to make moves which might be contrary to what koch brothers/ wall street want, I think they will influence congress to get rid of Trump.
I see it somewhat differently, rev. Most of the people gotten rid of so far play no part in the Koch agenda (Tillerson is a bit of an unknown in this respect but it looks to me that Pompeo is far more a Koch boy than Tillerson). They won't care about Kelley or Mattis or McMaster or Trump's body-man, for example. I expect they were pleased to see Bannon gone. The people they care about are in place in the cabinet and in charge of the areas of government that the Kochs want to decimate. If those people get pulled or if Pence gets sidelined and removed from influence, that would be important to them.

I think the thing that would turn a corner for the Kochs is a rising certainty that really serious electoral losses looked likely, losses such that one-party/one-ideology rule was jeopardized.

In the meantime, they will we working to further destroy government institutions (and other civic institutions that civil society depends upon such as news and reporting), to eviscerate laws they don't like, and to replace thousands of civil servants they deem not aligned with their ideology.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah. There's no way to tease apart the differences in the magnitude what has happened. It's just a big mush of beautiful equivalence. How many books maligning Romney have been published? How many films maligning him have been produced by his political enemies? How many times has he been accused of killing or ordering others to kill people who "know stuff"? How many drug deals have his opponents suggested he's made money from? After his presidential loss, how many times did his successful opponent speak his name in derision and with claims/suggestions of his criminality? How many days since the election has Fox not derided and maligned her? The answer is zero.

When you grow the balls to be honest, give me a holler.
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
My point was not that because we can't fathom non-existence is proof that the concept is meaningless, it was that questions and doubts about it are perfectly understandable and should be addressed with respect rather than derision.
That restatement of the following isn't a restatement of the following. It's a different statement altogether.
Quote:
It may be that nothing pre-existed the Big Bang, but I don't understand how that can be and I think anyone who says they can is full of it.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
But unless you possess a brain that is unlike the ones the rest of us have,
the primate brains that are not dependable and adequate tools to comprehend the universe correctly, how can you be so certain that the crowd you find to be so blindingly stupid are not in the ballpark?
Not even close to being a serious question.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:25 pm
@hightor,
Not just Tokyo. Where in hell did the moron hear that story? Worse, why the hell did the moron believe it?
izzythepush

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:27 pm
@blatham,
It's probably how he tests his hard hat when he walks on to a construction site.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:32 pm
Putin goes old-fashioned and traditional
Quote:
Putin Critic Nikolai Glushkov Found Strangled To Death In London
This surprises me because when I met Vladimir, he was wearing a gold necklace bearing a cross. And when I looked into his heart, I could tell that he was good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:33 pm
@blatham,
Gotta wonder who covered the real story

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/mar/15/donald-trump/trump-botches-japanese-bowling-ball-test/

so that #45 could mangle it

___

funnily (?) Fox uses a piece from CNN to present the facts

http://fox2now.com/2018/03/15/trump-accuses-japan-of-using-bowling-ball-test-on-cars-white-house-says-he-was-joking/

By Veronica Stracqualursi and Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Others should do the testing. Over and over so the results would be more likely to provide correct data.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks bethie. Yeah, Fox is definitely the most likely culprit here. And then there is Huckabee's response to a reporter...
Quote:
“Obviously, he is joking about this particular test but it illustrates the creative ways some countries are able to keep American goods out of their markets.”
This is one of those cases where I find myself learning towards the despicable theological belief in bad people burning in hellfire for eternity. I'd give her weekends off, maybe.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:49 pm
Not that the right in the US has gone absolutely crackers or anything
Quote:
“Tennessee GOPers Explain Why They Wouldn’t Condemn Neo-Nazism

It’s beyond shocking that anyone in the year 2018 has to ask the RSLC or RNC why they won’t condemn neo-nazism,” Wexler-Waite said in a Friday statement. “The actions of the GOP-controlled Tennessee legislature are a punch in the gut to everything this country stands for and an insult to Jews, people of color, and all who have suffered at the hands of right wing extremists. There is zero excuse for why the legislature would even hesitate to pass this resolution and history will not forget the moment the Republican Party stood silent as its members condoned Nazis.”
TPM
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your audacity in falsely accusing others of your own failings never ceases to astound me.

That is projection, and like Goebbel's advice "Accuse your enemy of what you are guilty of"(paraphrase)
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:55 pm
Nominee for the year's title in our category, "No ****, Sherlock!" I think it will be the winner but these days, you never know.
Quote:
Kyle Griffin
‏Verified account
@kylegriffin1
Jeff Flake in New Hampshire: "We have instead succumbed to what can only be described as a propaganda-fueled dystopian view of conservatism."
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 02:07 pm
Hopefully many of you will be familiar with Theda Skocpol, Harvard professor in sociology and political science. She's not merely brilliant, she's dedicated to those disciplines and is the opposite of lazy.
Quote:
Nancy Reynolds looks like no one’s idea of a revolutionary, least of all her own. She has a quick and contagious smile, shiny coiffed hair, a bad knee, and four grandchildren. Heartbroken after the defeat of Hillary Clinton—for whom Reynolds had spent long hours canvassing in the fall of 2016—she marched in protest in January 2017. When the 2018 anniversary march rolled around, she made sure to fit it in, but it wasn’t easy. These days Nancy Reynolds has campaigns to run: as Hampton Township coordinator for one friend’s Pennsylvania state senate campaign; as a canvass organizer for the slate of first-time candidates she helped elect to Hampton town council in November 2017, breaking long decades of Republican dominance; and now as signature-gatherer for her own campaign for election to her local Democratic Party committee as well. A retired children’s librarian, Nancy has long been a powerhouse within her local community, which is nestled in Pittsburgh’s northern suburbs. Prior to 2016, local and state politics were not on her radar screen. Now they dominate her to-do list every day.

Similar stories to Nancy’s are unfolding in suburbs and towns all across her home state and the country. She and tens of thousands of other women, mostly mothers and grandmothers ranging in age from their 30s to 70s, are fueling an American political transformation that most media outlets are systematically missing, or at least misreading.
more here and it's worth you time
izzythepush

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 02:13 pm
@blatham,
I think he's probably had a lot of tests already, I'd say a real **** ton.
coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 02:28 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Books by Lara Putnam

https://www.amazon.com/Lara-Putnam/e/B001KHXRT8

Quote:
The Company They Kept: Migrants and the Politics of Gender in Caribbean Costa Rica,

She is liberal progressive academic. The garbage they peddle does nothing but divide people by throwing up imaginary boundaries they say have been crossed. Double speak, rhetoric filled article.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 02:36 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Nominee for the year's title in our category,

Do you think Twitter needs the exposure?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 02:52 pm
@blatham,
as I go back - it looks like the real test was covered back in 2017 when the US backed away from the TPP

#45's had time to get mmmm confused about the test - if he ever understood it ( great stuff coming out as a result of the Vanessa/Jr divorce filing - Vanessa didn't think a lot of #45's smarts)

yay - Canada won big as a result of that US TPP move - all we need now is to slide the US out of NAFTA