monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:33 am
@blatham,
That last paragraph is spot on.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:47 am
So Trump is pushing a bill that would give the death penalty to drug pushers. And then there's this, from the man who has personally murdered drug pushers and who has facilitated the murders of thousands more by police.
Quote:
Ressa and Rappler are at the center of a fight over the future of press freedom in the Philippines that is testing the foundations of Philippine democracy.

It is a fight that resonates far beyond this U.S. ally, as the world comes to grips with a new breed of populist authoritarians who bask in positive coverage and decry the rest as “fake news.”

When President Trump met Duterte in Manila last November, for instance, the Philippine president called reporters trying to ask questions about human rights “spies.” Trump’s response? A laugh, according to the transcript.

WP

How is it even possible that so many conservatives do not yet understand the nature of the man they are supporting? How is it possible that an American political party has descended to these depths?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:55 am
@maporsche,
For a very, very long time, humans born in the cultures arising in the Tigris-Euphrates region have been trying to make sense of the universe while pretending that we are God-stuff, not animals. And frankly I have had it up to here with this blindingly stupid crowd.
blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 09:06 am
How stupid is Nunes? Really very stupid indeed.
Quote:
"Now look at who Mueller has prosecuted at this point, and who is left to prosecute for collusion?" he wondered. "I mean, there's no one left. [Former Trump campaign manager Paul] Manafort would be the obvious guy to think of that was colluding, right? If you could have gotten him on collusion, he would have been the obvious choice. Flynn, I mean, I knew Flynn very very well, and he is not a secret communist supporting Putin. So, they can't get him on that. So who else do they have?"
First of all, the bolded bit... "secret communist" But Jon Chait has a bit more...
Quote:
As New York’s Jon Chait added yesterday, “Who is left to prosecute for collusion? Well, let’s see. There is Donald Trump Jr., who attended a meeting with a Russian promising to help his campaign, and loved it. There’s Jared Kushner, who also attended that meeting, and had a web of financial relationships and contacts with Russia that he suspiciously failed to disclose. There is Roger Stone, who reportedly knew about the Russian email hacking as early as spring 2016, before it was publicly known.”

That’s hardly a comprehensive list. Some of those Mueller has indicted weren’t on the political world’s radar, right up until there were reports of the criminal charges against them.

There’s also, of course, the beneficiary of Russia’s attack – I believe he’s now the American president – who may yet face legal jeopardy, and who has an unfortunate habit of acting as if he’s guilty.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 09:22 am
"Phenomenal", redefined
Quote:
The Times notes that “fickle” Trump has ousted at least half a dozen of the people present at his first Cabinet meeting last June, whom Trump hailed as a “phenomenal team.”
Greg Sargent
oralloy

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 10:08 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Winner of this morning's "Now There's a Big ******* Surprise" award
Quote:
Trophy hunters are packed on a new U.S. advisory board created to help rewrite federal rules for importing the heads and hides of African elephants, lions and rhinos. That includes some members with direct ties to President Donald Trump and his family.

A review by The Associated Press of the backgrounds and social media posts of the 16 board members appointed by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke indicates they will agree with his position that the best way to protect critically threatened or endangered species is by encouraging American hunters to shoot some of them.

Trophy hunters are packed on a new U.S. advisory board created to help rewrite federal rules for importing the heads and hides of African elephants, lions and rhinos. That includes some members with direct ties to President Donald Trump and his family.

A review by The Associated Press of the backgrounds and social media posts of the 16 board members appointed by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke indicates they will agree with his position that the best way to protect critically threatened or endangered species is by encouraging American hunters to shoot some of them.
TPM

Hard to imagine how this crowd could become more venal.

As if there was something wrong with responsible hunting.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 10:15 am
I think sooner or later the republicans in congress are going to have to face the fact this President is mentally unfit for the office he holds. One day he will simply go too far, it is bound to happen just because of the kind of character Trump has.

Just read of some of reasoning behind the firing and potential hiring; it is like he has regressed to a child's reasoning.

Quote:
Just days ago, Trump used Twitter to fire Rex Tillerson, the secretary of state whom he disliked, and moved to install his close ally, CIA Director Mike Pompeo, in the job. On Wednesday, he named conservative TV analyst Larry Kudlow to replace his top economic adviser, Gary Cohn, who quit over trade disagreements.

And on Thursday, Trump signaled that more personnel moves were likely. “There will always be change,” the president told reporters. “And I think you want to see change. I want to also see different ideas.”

This portrait of the Trump administration in turmoil is based on interviews with 19 presidential advisers and administration officials, many of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer candid perspectives.

The mood inside the White House in recent days has verged on mania, as Trump increasingly keeps his own counsel and senior aides struggle to determine the gradations between rumor and truth. At times, they say, they are anxious and nervous, wondering what each new headline may mean for them personally.

But in other moments, they appear almost as characters in an absurdist farce — openly joking about whose career might end with the next presidential tweet. White House officials have begun betting about which staffer will be ousted next, though few, if any, have much reliable information about what is actually going on.

Many aides were particularly unsettled by the firing of the president’s longtime personal aide, John McEntee, who was marched out of the White House on Tuesday after his security clearance was abruptly revoked.

“Everybody fears the perp walk,” one senior White House official said. “If it could happen to Johnny, the president’s body guy, it could happen to anybody.” 

Trump recently told Kelly that he wants McMaster out and asked for help weighing replacement options, according to two people familiar with their conversations. The president has complained that McMaster is too rigid and that his briefings go on too long and seem irrelevant.

Several candidates have emerged as possible McMaster replacements, including John Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, and Keith Kellogg, the chief of staff of the National Security Council.

Kellogg travels with Trump on many domestic trips, in part because the president likes his company and thinks he is fun. Bolton has met with Trump several times and often agrees with the president’s instincts. Trump also thinks Bolton, who regularly praises the president on Fox News Channel, is good on television.

WP

If he has gotten rid of the more established moneyed influences he had around him; he is going to make moves which might be contrary to what koch brothers/ wall street want, I think they will influence congress to get rid of Trump. What I am trying to get at, it is like Trump is going back to Bannon days.
oralloy

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 10:50 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I think sooner or later the republicans in congress are going to have to face the fact this President is mentally unfit for the office he holds.

Unlikely given the fact that his mental fitness is just fine.

The Washington Post wrote:
Several candidates have emerged as possible McMaster replacements, including John Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, and Keith Kellogg, the chief of staff of the National Security Council.

Kellogg travels with Trump on many domestic trips, in part because the president likes his company and thinks he is fun. Bolton has met with Trump several times and often agrees with the president’s instincts. Trump also thinks Bolton, who regularly praises the president on Fox News Channel, is good on television.

Bolton is a good man. He helped stop Gore from cheating his way to the presidency in 2000:

"I'm with the Bush Cheney team, and I'm here to stop the count."

Later as ambassador to the UN he was instrumental in blocking the UN's global gun ban treaty.

revelette1 wrote:
If he has gotten rid of the more established moneyed influences he had around him; he is going to make moves which might be contrary to what koch brothers/ wall street want, I think they will influence congress to get rid of Trump.

No chance of that.

revelette1 wrote:
What I am trying to get at, it is like Trump is going back to Bannon days.

That is due to Kushner's loss of influence.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 10:59 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Is it just me

Of course, it is not just you, and it doesn't matter either way. Next.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:06 am
@blatham,
I could respond that I'm not interested in your personal assessment of the relative harm of character assassination efforts and demand that you stop wasting my time, but I won't.
coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:13 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Vanessa Trump, Don Jr's wife is suing him for divorce. They have 5 children.

There is a reason to impeach Trump if I ever heard one. Who cares?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:17 am
@blatham,
And yours is a bad faith response based, yet again, on your desire to rush to an insult and reply not to what has been written but in a manner that allows you to step up on your soapbox.

My point was not that because we can't fathom non-existence is proof that the concept is meaningless, it was that questions and doubts about it are perfectly understandable and should be addressed with respect rather than derision.

But thanks for the primer on relativity teach. Now we all know you've read the "Incredible Einstein" comic book.

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:20 am
@blatham,
There is such a thing as circumstantial evidence you know, but if you prefer to excuse Warren because no smoking gun can be presented, that's fine with me. It would be nice though if you applied the same evidentiary standards to your own opinions and arguments.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:22 am
@blatham,
Do you have evidence that he is a sociopath?
coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Do you have evidence that he is a sociopath?

What do you think? I would say no.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:28 am
@revelette1,

Quote:
I think sooner or later the republicans in congress are going to have to face the fact this President is mentally unfit for the office he holds.

That will be happening in Jan. 2025.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:29 am
@maporsche,
I agree in part, but blatham was merely expanding on the point I made. He chose, however, to misrepresent my application of the idea.

I would modify his statement slightly, but, I think, significantly: Our primate brains are not dependable and adequate tools to fully comprehend the universe correctly.

Clearly, our lowly minds are capable of correctly comprehending certain aspects of the universe.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:34 am
@blatham,
But unless you possess a brain that is unlike the ones the rest of us have,
the primate brains that are not dependable and adequate tools to comprehend the universe correctly, how can you be so certain that the crowd you find to be so blindingly stupid are not in the ballpark?
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:36 am
@blatham,
Wow!

Sargent's really struck a blow with that one!

I'm sure he would have been able to find all sorts of inconsistencies and contradictions in the things President Obama said and did if he had been so singularly focused on criticizing and insulting him as he has been with Trump...but of course, he wasn't.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 11:41 am
Quote:
Republican Senators Call for Second Special Counsel Into FBI’s Procedures

Being the majority in the Senate and House this should be inevitable. It should uncover the the last administrations abuse of our laws and supply the proof of the abuse. How long it takes is the question.
http://www.oann.com/republican-senators-call-for-second-special-counsel-into-fbis-procedures/
0 Replies