monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:07 pm
@blatham,
For one that he was personally responsible for the death from cancer of the wife of an employee of a company his venture capitalist group acquired. That's a good start.
blatham

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:12 pm
@BillW,
thanks Bill. That would fit with my suspicions as does the point ehBeth just made re Meuller and recent subpoenas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:58 pm
or maybe distracting from this?

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/trump-national-security-adviser-hr-mcmaster-amid-rumors-tensions-president/

Quote:
National security adviser H.R. McMaster has been ousted from his position amid rumors that President Donald Trump has been unhappy with his performance.

The Washington Post reported Thursday evening that Trump had decided to remove McMaster and that others might follow.

According to five sources familiar with the developing story, Trump had hoped to ensure that the three-star Army general was not publicly humiliated the way Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was. He also hoped to line up a successor prior to shoving McMaster out.

it's not even Friday
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 08:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't disagree, but I do think Limbaugh's question is a rhetorical one, designed to lead his listeners to the conclusion that Hawking was some sort of crackpot
ehBeth

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 08:06 pm
there's a party at the WH tonight

the best guest

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYXqMAHWkAI7Xw4.jpg
oralloy

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 09:30 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Certainly possible but my guess would be that this is essentially a marketing ploy.

When liberals do the right thing it is just a marketing ploy.

When conservatives do the right thing it is because they care about doing the right thing.

See the difference?
coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 09:34 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:
See the difference?

I know he can't see my posts, or just has nothing to say, and we know that is not true, like most of he stuff he does say.
oralloy

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 09:43 pm
@coldjoint,
He doesn't read my posts either. He got into a conversation with me once that required him to think for himself in order to respond, instead of just citing other people and saying "I think what that guy thinks" all the time.

He quickly got out of his depth and spouted a bunch of really offensive name-calling then put me on ignore. It was before the new rules where the moderators are stricter about name-calling, so he didn't get penalized for it.

But it doesn't matter. I can factually rebut his untrue claims whether he reads my posts or not.
coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 09:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
He got into a conversation with me once that required him to think for himself in order to respond, instead of just citing other people and saying "I think what that guy thinks" all the time.

There are quite a few here with the same problem. They do not make those on the Left look the least bit intelligent.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought Seanié's pants were the best giggle of the night but then in a Ted Lieu thread about Russia/McMaster

Quote:
at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if @realDonaldTrump gets caught up in the excitement and fires himself
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
I believe her claim is that she is 1/32nd or less Indian and yet she did use this assertion to her personal advantage in terms of seeking and receiving the benefits of minority status.

Ever go the ancestry test threads of YouTube and watch these people as they find out that the ancestry they were told they had was off by a mile? It's very common that happens. Here's one such video, there are plenty of others. Especially check out the 4 minute 34 second mark when she calls her mother about how he mother had the ancestry wrong:

Before these tests all that most people had to go on was what their family told them, and we now know that was frequently wrong. Did it ever occur to you that is what happened with Elizabeth Warren-she honestly believed what her family told her? How much longer is the right going to drag the Native American thing out about her?
coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:15 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Elizabeth Warren-she honestly believed what her family told her? How much longer is the right going to drag the Native American thing out about her?

It will never go away. She lied and used a minority to get ahead the same as Democrats use them for votes. No one will forget it until she is out of politics.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:24 pm
@blatham,
WAPO FACT CHECKER

NATIONAL REVIEW

THE ATLANTIC

There is no smoking gun evidence, but then Warren is far too clever a lawyer to have left any around in plain sight.

it is without question that for the nine years between 1986 and 1995, she listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of Faculty. That directory was used by Law School recruiting faculty:

Quote:
The former chairman of the American Association of Law Schools, David Bernstein, told the (Boston) Herald that the group’s directory once served as a tip sheet for administrators. “In the old days before the Internet, you’d pull out the AALS directory and look up people,” he said. “There are schools that, if they were looking for a minority faculty member, would go to that list and might say, ‘I didn’t know Elizabeth Warren was a minority.’”

During that period of time and subsequent to her initial listing as a minority, Warren was recruited and hired by the University of Pennsylvania Law School and Harvard Law. Both schools publicized her minority status and Harvard included her in their 1992-1993 and 1995-1996 federal affirmative-action reports. Both schools, and particularly, Harvard were under heavy pressure to diversify their faculty at the times Warren was hired.

Warren explained her reason for listing herself as a minority as a desire to connect with people like her. She added that it never worked (although she gave it a full nine years) and so she removed in 1995..after she landed the highly coveted spot at Harvard.

She also explained that she provided information to her employers concerning her Indian heritage (which they used in their PR) after it just happened to come up during lunches.

I'm quite sure that it will not be as clear to you as it is to me and a great many other people that Warren deliberately listed herself as a minority in a directory that she knew faculty recruiters for schools like Penn and Harvard relied upon to provide herself with an extra edge. It is the case that Warren might have landed positions with these schools based upon her professional CV, but she wanted an edge and during a time when there was considerable pressure on these schools to diversify their faculties, it worked.

Harvard vehemently denies her minority status was a factor in hiring her, but then, of course, they would. First of all, she left them on good terms and secondly they were not very likely to admit she got the job as a token that allowed them to release some of the pressure under which they were laboring. I completely believe their folks that Warren's minority status was not discussed during her interviews. That would be tacky.

What I don't believe for a second is that she listed herself in the directory as a minority because she wanted to connect with people like her. Who were these people? White Bread Women Lawyers claiming a 1/32nd Cherokee heritage? I also don't believe for a second, that Warren provided her employers with her Cherokee bonafides as a result of a casual conversation in the school cafeteria.

Her claimed status was almost certainly not the only reason Penn or Harvard hired her (there was no shortage, after all, of qualified candidates with a much more substantial genealogical claim - and who actually looked the part), and it's possible (although highly unlikely) that it truly didn't influence their hiring decision. It's even possible that she actually has Cherokee ancestors although her claim is not sound enough for her to be accepted as a member of that tribe. All these things are possible, but are they probable?

Not enough evidence to convict her in a court, but you'll note that WaPo gave the Brown Campaign only two Pinocchios and that was largely due to its implications and innuendo that Warren somehow obtained entry into college or law school under an Affirmative Action program and that she "checked a box" on applications to Penn and Harvard. There is no evidence at all that she did such things.

But she did some other things like plagiarizing Chef Pierre Franey's recipes for a cookbook entitled "Pow Wow Chow." (And Pocahontas is offensive?), and manipulating facts and figures for academic studies claiming that medical bills were responsible for an extraordinary share of American bankruptcies. The later was so flagrant, it prompted Megan McArdle of the Atlantic to write:

Quote:
Does this persistent tendency to choose odd metrics that inflate the case for some left wing cause matter? If Warren worked at a think tank, you’d say, “Ah, well, that’s the genre.” On the other hand, you’d also tend to regard her stuff with a rather beady eye. It’s unlikely to have been splashed across the headline of every newspaper in the United States. Her work gets so much attention because it comes from a Harvard professor. And this isn’t Harvard caliber material — not even Harvard undergraduate.

As David French points out in the above-linked article her signature legislative achievement; the brain-child she birthed and helped develop, led to the following opinion from the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in their ruling that the thing was unconstitutionally structured:

Quote:
The CFPB’s concentration of enormous executive power in a single, unaccountable, unchecked Director not only departs from settled historical practice, but also poses a far greater risk of arbitrary decisionmaking and abuse of power, and a far greater threat to individual liberty, than does a multi-member independent agency.

In short, when measured in terms of unilateral power, the Director of the CFPB is the single most powerful official in the entire U.S. Government, other than the President. Indeed, within his jurisdiction, the Director of the CFPB can be considered even more powerful than the President. It is the Director’s view of consumer protection law that prevails over all others. In essence, the Director is the President of Consumer Finance.

Warren is a darling of the Left because 1) She is a strident critic of capitalism and financial institutions, 2) She is a strident critic of Donald Trump and 3) She is a darling of the MSM

Maybe it's also because she's 1/32nd Cherokee on her Mee-Maw's side, but I doubt even her supporters put much stock in that claim.

You might get the impression that her Cherokee heritage hasn't prevented her from speaking with forked tongue when you recall how she abandoned the candidate who most would have assumed was her philosophical soulmate and threw her strident support to the equally strident candidate whom she had only recently stridently criticized for being a shill for Wall Street Bankers.

There's a great line in the linked Atlantic article that's worth highlighting:

Quote:
"There's a running joke in Indian country: If you meet somebody who you wouldn't necessarily think is Native, but they say they're Native, chances are they'll tell you they're Cherokee," said Lenzy Krehbiel-Burton, a spokesperson for the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma, which with more than 300,000 citizens is the largest Cherokee tribe.

I got news for Lenzy, this joke has made its way to White Eyes Country.

Blickers

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:25 pm
@coldjoint,
She told the truth as best as she had access to it. It was mistaken. As this video and countless others prove, parents and family give unknowingly false information about ancestry all the time.

For a laugh, check out the 4:34 mark where she calls her mother to tell she was wrong about the ancestry of the family.

And yet the Republicans elect a guy who has been in with Russia and its gangsters for decades, who has gotten loans from the Russians when nobody else would give him a loan, who has filled his campaign and Administration with people who have lied repeatedly to Congress about meeting Russian public officials and oligarchs. Trump and his White House absolutely reek of Russian connections. His Commerce Secretary came straight into the job after managing the Cyprus bank that Russian oligarchs use for money laundering. "National Security Advisor" Carter Page was buddy buddy with a Russian spy ring that got busted, and maintains contact with Russian officials and oligarchs to this day. His Attorney General, Sessions, lies to the Senate about meeting a Russian official one time, apologizes when he was caught lying, then was caught lying a second time about meeting Russians. Sessions also called a white guy who supported civil rights a "race traitor" for doing so.

Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, got paid AT LEAST $10 Million dollars under the table for supporting Russia's puppet government in Ukraine and is facing indictments for Russian involvements that, if convicted, can get him 30 years in jail. He also owes Oleg Derispaska, Russian oligarch, $17 Million and messaged him that now that he's the campaign manager for Trump, he canl do things for Derispaska to make up for the money Manafort owes him. And of course Trump's "national security advisor", Mike Flynn, has been recorded telling the Russian ambassador that the Trump Administration will get rid of the sanctions presently being leveled against Russia.

So yeah, let's keep on kvetching about Elizabeth Warren being wrong about her ancestry and ignore Putin's little Manchurian candidate, Trump.
coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:31 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
So yeah, let's keep on kvetching about Elizabeth Warren being wrong about her ancestry and ignore Putin's little Manchurian candidate, Trump.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the teepee.
Blickers

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:38 pm
@coldjoint,
Bit by bit Trump's inner circle quits, gets fired or faces indictment. All for involvement with Russian officials or oligarchs.
coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:48 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
Bit by bit Trump's inner circle quits, gets fired or faces indictment. All for involvement with Russian officials or oligarchs.

They have certainly had time to flip anyone who could hang Trump. They have not. They have 0.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:56 pm
@Blickers,
Is it just me, or does coldjoint sound truly dull? I suppose it's supposed to sound sharp and cutting......lets all chip in and buy him a whetstone!!!! oh wait, can you sharpen your wit with a whetstone? Crap, maybe that only works with knives.
Blickers

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 12:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 16 Mar, 2018 12:24 am
@thack45,
I actually was listening to Limbaugh when he made the comment and I did not get the impression, at all, that he thinks or wants others to think Hawking is a crackpot. He also wasn't coming at the topic from a religious viewpoint.

Limbaugh may be many things, but an evangelical fundamentalist Christian is not one of them. In fact, I can't recall him ever bringing his religious view into one of his monologues or discussions with callers.