monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 02:14 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Another very stable genius speaks:

Linked to MediaMatters, the brain child of George Soros. Isn't that special.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 02:39 pm
Quote:
FBI testimony confirms Obama DOJ ordered 500,000 fugitives purged from background check database

Wow! No, Obama was not trying to destroy this country, was he? How many lives do you think were taken because of that? Trump might have something to say about this.
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/03/15/fbi-testimony-confirms-obama-doj-ordered-500000-fugitives-purged-from-background-check-database-613842#
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 02:44 pm
@blatham,
Oh no. I encourage him to ask. But I guess it makes sense that he isn't supposed to since, illogical as it is, the argument brings trouble for many of his listeners' beliefs (like, say, the fact that no one was there to see a god create the universe, so...) No, what he's supposed to do is quickly move on to the next stage of arrogant religious certainty, and simply dismiss anything that conflicts with the god.
BillW

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 05:45 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
I, for one, think Warren is much more influential and effective where she is, not out on the national campaign trail or trying to staff and direct a bloated executive bureaucracy.

I couldn't agree more. Besides, I would like to see someone younger in the office. There are quit a few good ones out there; Cory Booker, Timothy John Ryan are fine looking candidates
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 05:52 pm
@hightor,
I agree.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 05:56 pm
Infrastructure continues to fail.

People in Miami are crushed in their cars under a collapsed freeway tonight.
BillW

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 05:58 pm
@blatham,
No, they're equals.
0 Replies

BillW

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:06 pm
@Lash,
That is NOT infrastructure failure, it is new construction that doesn't go into operation until next year.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:21 pm
@blatham,
Then you must have found the character assassination attacks leveled at Mitt Romney when he ran for the presidency to be appalling.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:26 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I’m 1/16 Cherokee as well, but using it would be a deplorable thing to do in the context of why those scholarships are offered.

Then you are more Cherokee than Warren and less deplorable. I believe her claim is that she is 1/32nd or less Indian and yet she did use this assertion to her personal advantage in terms of seeking and receiving the benefits of minority status.

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:43 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I’m ready for a great woman president

I'm ready for a great president and I couldn't care less what their gender, race or sexual orientation might be.

I never have and never will vote for a candidate because of their gender or race, and those who do are either virtue signalers or bigots.

We will have a woman president when a female candidate can convince the requisite number of people in the requisite number of states that she will make a better president than her male opponent. This will happen before two females run for the office representing both major parties.

A black man was elected to the office. Animosity towards blacks in this country has far surpassed any directed at women. Women have been elected to every position in government other than the presidency. If race is no longer an insurmountable hurdle, neither is gender.

Clinton didn't lose because she is a woman and she didn't lose because American members of her sex are unable to resist the commands of their husbands, sons, and bosses. This latest excuse of hers is a major insult to both women and men in this country, but what else is new? Everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation is a target for her scorn and derision...if they don't support her.

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:46 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I think I'd look for effective governors rather than attractive legislators. And even that would be a crap shoot.

Because the relatively few governors who with quiet dedication and competence effectively lead their states, and can't be bothered with wasting time on developing a national profile, either are not interested in running for the presidency or will never be considered attractive enough to their party leaders
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:47 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Seriously, I wonder if Pompeo had something to do with this?
Certainly possible but my guess would be that this is essentially a marketing ploy. It would be pretty tough for Trump to ignore the poisoning in Britain, particularly given that his sycophantic relationship with Putin is not winning him any friends other than with individuals like Miller and Bannon, perhaps. He can make this move (which may or may not be anything Putin cares about at all) and try to pass himself off as concerned and as a non-toady.
blatham

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:52 pm
@thack45,
He's been a notably destructive force in modern US politics. And making $70 million or there about each year for his civic contribution. If "evil" makes any sense, it applies to him.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Which particular attack are you thinking of?
blatham

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
she did use this assertion to her personal advantage in terms of seeking and receiving the benefits of minority status.
Do you have some evidence supporting that claim?
ehBeth

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:57 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Seriously, I wonder if Pompeo had something to do with this?

I'm going with it being a distraction from Mueller's latest subpoenas and some potential legal problems coming out of #45 Jr's wife filing for divorce.

oh and the FBI spending $ at a Trump hotel in Panama that had been doing badly

Always a few things to juggle at the WH
BillW

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:00 pm
@blatham,
1. The most onerous of the santions passed by Congress weren't on this list.

2. These are sanctions for Russia's election interference.
a. Are Comparatively weak to begin with.
b. Don't apply to the nerve agent poisining in Britain, which in and of itself
deserves separate and more severe restrictions.

3. All the sanctions added together are relatively mild for the unbelievable and
totally international illegal actions of Russia over the last twelve years.
ehBeth

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:02 pm
@ehBeth,
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/robert-mueller-trains-his-sights-on-the-trump-organization.html

Quote:
In Jane Mayer’s definitive profile of Christopher Steele, the veteran British spy who compiled a controversial dossier documenting Donald Trump’s alleged ties to Russia, and then some, there’s a curious line attributed to the reclusive agent, who has gone into hiding since his investigative findings have made him the target of Republican recriminations: “It was as if all criminal roads led to Trump Tower,” Steele is quoted saying.

Through the first ten months of his investigation, Robert Mueller’s interest in the headquarters of the Trump Organization seems to have been limited to Donald Trump Jr.’s meeting, alongside Paul Manafort and Jared Kushner, with a motley crew of Russian characters who claimed to have damaging information about Hillary Clinton. But now the special counsel has trained its sights on the business proper: The New York Times reported on Thursday that Mueller has subpoenaed Russia-related documents from the organization — which may include everything from emails to visitor logs to financial records to contracts the company entered into, all going back several years.

more at the link inc lots of cross-reference lnks
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:05 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Oh no. I encourage him to ask. But I guess it makes sense that he isn't supposed to since, illogical as it is, the argument brings trouble for many of his listeners' beliefs (like, say, the fact that no one was there to see a god create the universe, so...) No, what he's supposed to do is quickly move on to the next stage of arrogant religious certainty, and simply dismiss anything that conflicts with the god.

Well, we should encourage such common sense questions and rather than assuming they originate from an arrogant and aggressive religious certainty, we should be prepared to answer them. If we care that people know of and are willing to consider scientific theories on the creation of the Universe than we best not take the position of: "Because the scientists tell us so moron.You'll never understand it so just shut up and accept it."

Many of us in this forum have read one or more books written by so-called science-popularists, who, whether or not they are scientists themselves, are able to convey complex concepts in a way that is comprehensible to the average person. If explained properly, the average person can understand the Big Bang theory and how scientists can feel confident about it, even if no one witnessed it. We need, however, to be prepared for the obvious follow-up questions of "What caused the Big Bang?" "What preceded the Big Bang?" etc I've actually heard "scientists" argue that those questions are not important.

It may be that nothing pre-existed the Big Bang, but I don't understand how that can be and I think anyone who says they can is full of it. The absence of existence is incomprehensible to humans, regardless of I.Q. One can accept it as the only logical possibility, but one can not know it, in the sense that one can know galaxies and black holes. Better they simply answer "Wehave no idea."