monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm
@oralloy,
Yes, that was me. CA already does a seizure of firearms when called to a domestic dispute.

I think it’s a good idea because it cuts into the group of mass ( and other) murderers who tip society off by demonstrating violence against a family member. This is a great opportunity to get guns out of the reach of a violencer.

I think people should have a waiting period, maybe some type of counseling based on what happened in the incident, and then they can make application to have their property returned.

0 Replies

hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I don’t think you have it right.

Oh, you mean Trump didn't refer to Kim as "Little Rocket Man" and brag about the size of his nuclear button? I stand corrected!

A big test will come shortly, as the annual 'war games' are re-scheduled — DRNK considers these operations 'provocative'. Trump still has a chance to derail any potential detente between the two Koreas.
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:19 pm
@maporsche,
He lied again.
hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:24 pm
EPA Considers Allowing Bee-Killing Pesticide to Be Sprayed on 165 Million Acres of U.S. Farmland

Quote:
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will consider allowing the bee-killing pesticide thiamethoxam to be sprayed on the most widely grown crops in the U.S. The application, if approved, would allow the highly toxic pesticide to be sprayed directly on 165 million acres of wheat, barley, corn, sorghum, alfalfa, rice and potato.

Econewsmedia
But don't worry, Trump's EPA can be counted on to do the right thing.
BillW

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm
@hightor,
hightor, to do what, harvest more crops that can't be sold because of the trade wars. Geez, it's a never ending multiple intertwined evil circles......
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:37 pm
@hightor,
Your ‘argumentation’ is elementary level.

Brinksmanship is a strategy, although risky. That’s why few people take the risk—which is why our past several presidents have been paying ransom for peace.

Brinksmanship worked.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:50 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Even Trump haters acknowledge that his unyielding stance against continued payoffs (started by Clinton and continued through Obama) and talk just as belligerent as Kim’s, along with working closely with SK and China to set this table was the driving force behind Kim’s brimming acquiescence.

Why not give Pres. Moon the credit? If the ROK had stuck with Trump's game plan and continued insulting, threatening, and isolating the DPRK do you really think this slight thaw would be happening?

Good cop, bad cop is a tried and true negotiating strategy.

Trump perfected crazy bad cop, and worked with China and SK on their roles.

We saw him meeting with them; we heard Trump’s rhetoric about their roles in the pressure on NK.

Why do you pretend that you don’t know?

Sorta psychotic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/24/trump-to-press-china-on-north-korea-trade-on-beijing-visit.html

Each of these men contributed to this new position.

Anyway, we’ll see where it goes. (I just think it’s ridiculous not to give credit where it’s due.)
ehBeth

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm
Quote:
Aetna News

@AetnaNews

Aetna will donate $200,000 to support @AMarch4OurLives and the brave #Parkland survivors who are taking action in the face of tragedy:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 01:02 pm

she did!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376945-watchdog-kellyanne-conway-violated-hatch-act-twice-in-tv-appearances

did not!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376977-white-house-conway-did-not-violate-the-hatch-act

enough is enough

Quote:
“OSC is now the second federal agency to find Conway in violation of ethics-related provisions," Shaub wrote. "Enough is enough. She has made clear that she’s not interested in following government ethics rules. It’s time for the President to act.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/376979-shaub-on-conway-ethics-violations-enough-is-enough
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 01:08 pm
@Lash,
I’m often in awe of how full of poop you are.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 01:09 pm
jeesus murphy

side hustles all the way

https://apnews.com/22981b7ed6104cb0a1b55e043f4a9724/EPA-appointee-gets-approval-to-consult-for-outside-clients

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A key aide to Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt has been granted permission to make extra money moonlighting for private clients whose identities are being kept secret.

A letter approving outside employment contracts for John Konkus — signed by an EPA ethics lawyer in August — was released Monday by Democrats on the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

I'm not allowed to accept a free coffee let alone work for anyone else. this is one serious wtf smh moment.
hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:16 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Brinksmanship worked.

You talk as if it were a done deal.
Quote:
Good cop, bad cop is a tried and true negotiating strategy.

I'm not sure this was really Trump's conscious intention.
Quote:
Why do you pretend that you don’t know?

I doubt that either of us knows; given what I've seen of Trump's behavior I'm not willing to take your word about his negotiating skills so excuse me if I don't seem suitably impressed.
Quote:
Sorta psychotic.

I don't think that skepticism about the intentions of shady people elected to high office warrants such a diagnosis.
Quote:
(I just think it’s ridiculous not to give credit where it’s due.)

I believe you're giving him more credit than is his due. If at some point in the future we learn that Xi, Moon, Abe, and Trump — or more likely Mattis — actually worked out this negotiating strategy I'll give them credit. But just assigning roles to the players and clapping from the sidelines seems premature.
BillW

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:23 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Xi, Moon, Abe, and Trump — or more likely Mattis —

How about Rex, Jared or even Ivanka? Rolling Eyes Shocked Twisted Evil
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You're a nicer person than I am (I admit I haven't watched him in any of these interviews). I'm supremely skeptical of anyone who deems Roger Stone a mentor.

Yeah, the Roger Stone mentor story is uber disturbing.
glitterbag

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:39 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

We're lucky to count among our participating members a number of ardent defenders of the Second Amendment. One of them is extremely concerned about the use of handguns in mass shootings, believing that the focus on military-styled weapons with pistol grips totally ignores the significantly higher rate at which handguns are used in these crimes. Another patriot has been adamant in his effort to point out that pistol grips do not make assault weapons any more dangerous or do anything to increase the firepower of those weapons. I propose a simple experiment: let's remove pistol grips from handguns!

This made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:44 pm
@Lash,
You're talking complete horseshit. During Trump's tenure America's engagement with Asia Pacific has been negligible. At conferences China sends full delegations while America has sent a couple of diplomats if that.

All Trump has done has reduce diplomatic discourse to that of schoolyard chatter. They're already sanctioned to the hilt, it's not like there's anywhere else to go, and the political elite don't suffer any consequences at all. If anything he's caused the North Koreans to grip more tenaciously to their nuclear weapons. And the North Koreans have made it clear that their nuclear arsenal is not up for negotiation.

Kim has started to drive a wedge between the South and America. He's got what he wanted a nuclear missile capable of striking mainland America and a neighbour to the south more distrustful of America than ever. America is widely seen as a bully telling smaller nations what to do. That's what Trump has done.

Only a complete sycophant could give Trump credit for anything in North Korea. If any progress has been made it's despite Trump, not because of him.

Quote:
America's special envoy to North Korea is set to resign this week, amid speculation he had grown frustrated with Donald Trump‘s tough stance towards Pyongyang.

The departure of South Korean-born Joseph Yun, a strong advocate for engagement with the North, was described as “exceptionally bad news” by experts who predicted his exit could lead to a deterioration of relations.

He said his decision to leave was entirely his own, but his retirement comes at a surprising juncture, after North Korea expressed a willingness for formal diplomatic talks with Washington.

Mr Yun took the post under Barack Obama in 2016 and has quietly retained contact with Pyongyang during a turbulent year of threats, insults and growing tensions after Mr Trump was elected.

The diplomat’s departure leaves the State Department without a point person for North Korean policy at what South Korean officials described as a “critical moment”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/north-korea-donald-trump-special-envoy-joseph-yun-abruptly-retires-kim-jong-un-pyongyang-a8233461.html

Quote:
In December 2016, during the final days of US President Barack Obama’s administration and in an act possibly aimed at assessing then President-elect Donald Trump, China snatched a US Navy undersea drone just 50 miles from Subic Bay in the Philippine in an outrageously bold act.

The legal ramifications of this occurring on the high seas and whether UNCLOS applies have yet to be sorted out. What is clear, however, is that China’s seizure of the US drone went unpunished, as Washington offered no response other than a weak diplomatic protest.

Five weeks after taking office, Trump was powerless to react beyond casually opining that China could keep the drone. The likely conclusion that Beijing drew from the incident was that Washington is weak and that with all his bluster about withdrawing from engagement with the world, Trump would likely not pursue the matter further once in power.

http://www.atimes.com/china-senses-us-weakness-south-china-sea/

Trump is a bloody joke. Everyone except the idiots who voted for him can see that. China has really seized the initiative.
BillW

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 02:58 pm
@glitterbag,
Roger Stone is the most despicable, nasty, ugly person who ever drew a breath of air.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 03:26 pm
tRump just had a joint news conference with the Prime Minister of Sweden in which possibly the only truth he said was that he likes chaos. Everything else a bold face lie. What a dipshit!
0 Replies

roger

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 04:04 pm
@ehBeth,
That's incredible. Well, it isn't, but it should be.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 04:16 pm
@hightor,
I am withholding final applause until the fat lady sings... but to deny what happened today is unhealthy, imo.