monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:08 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Lash wrote:
my idea is vastly easier, cheaper, and carries fewer consequences.

What idea was that?

She wants to get 330MM people to treat each other nicer.
End bullying in all of our schools.
Armed guards and metal detectors at all schools and public places.
Stop prescribing anti-depression medication.

You know, vastly easier, much cheaper, and fewer unintended consequences (especially that antidepressant thing).
Setanta

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:08 am
She'll probably call me a liar again, but she has said, in this thread, that Plump is her president and the Republicans are her party. She's told so many tales here, she can no longer keep track of them.
oralloy

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:14 am
@Setanta,
President Trump is the president of every American citizen.
oralloy

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:16 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

You know, vastly easier, much cheaper, and fewer unintended consequences (especially that antidepressant thing).

Didn't she express support for things like intervention laws that let police seize guns from people who display warning signs?

Or am I getting her confused with someone else?
maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

President Trump is the president of every American citizen.

When the assault weapons ban was in place from 1994-2004, did you call it “MY assault weapons ban?” It applied to every american so I’m sure you did.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:21 am
@oralloy,
That was me.

I have been arguing that the current laws in FL and nationwide are ill-equipped to handle cases like this Cruz kid.

She’s been arguing that the current laws are enough.
Setanta

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:24 am
@oralloy,
Bullsh*t . . . I didn't vote for the lame, fat son-of-a-bitch, and neither did the majority of those who voted in November, 2016. He's the president of the greedy rich and the gullible poor--which suggests to me which category you belong in.

He's a public official, he's not the f*cking king, and as the free citizen of a republic, I'm nobody's subject. You really have a twisted view of the world.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:48 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Even Trump haters acknowledge that his unyielding stance against continued payoffs (started by Clinton and continued through Obama) and talk just as belligerent as Kim’s, along with working closely with SK and China to set this table was the driving force behind Kim’s brimming acquiescence.

Why not give Pres. Moon the credit? If the ROK had stuck with Trump's game plan and continued insulting, threatening, and isolating the DPRK do you really think this slight thaw would be happening?
blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Interestingly, mainly the 'real' Russians opposed any information that had its origin in Russian government proximity.
Familiarity with the regime's information control, I guess. You'll know much more than I about the last three or four decades in Russia. But what we are now discovering regarding Putin's propaganda strategies applied to Europe and the US is pretty amazing. And Trump is on their side where he deems it benefits him. Damned ugly.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:00 am
@revelette1,
There isn't a screenwriter alive who could have imagined these characters.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:04 am
@revelette1,
I get the idea that Trump's understanding of economic theory and ability to learn from historical economic choices which turned out badly might be a bit weak. It seems that he's got this 19th Century Bismarckian concept of security and prosperity based on belching Bessemer furnaces — minus a soot-covered immigrant work force. And he doesn't seem to see the damage to industries and corporations which depend on international trade. While we try to rebuild a steel industry (which will be largely automated) China is investing heavily in artificial intelligence. I can't wait to see our shiny new line of Edsels.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:16 am
Keep your attention on this one. It's important.

Quote:
Since 2011, Arizona, Alabama, and Georgia have all passed proof of citizenship laws similar to the one Kobach wrote in Kansas. Courts have blocked all three states’ laws.

Now the Kansas law could meet a similar fate. The American Civil Liberties Union filed suit in 2016, claiming the law violates the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, also known as the Motor Voter Law. In October 2016, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit upheld a temporary injunction that requires Kobach to register voters without proof of citizenship until the case is decided. In that order, the court said the law creates a “mass denial of a fundamental constitutional right.”

Starting Tuesday, Kobach will have to defend his law in a federal courtroom, as the ACLU attempts to prove that it is unconstitutional. Over about a week, the ACLU will question Kansas voters in court over the discriminatory effects of the law. Kobach, who is representing himself, will call as one of his witnesses a researcher whose work has been discredited time and time again.
TP

Republicans know that in many regions and in the US federal elections that their electoral "success" is utterly dependent upon redistricting and voter suppression. This is a purposeful rejection of the ideals and systems of democracy. They don't care about that, obviously. Whether they are under the influence of the worst corporate entities or an extremist and authoritarian theology doesn't much matter. Power is everything.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:48 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Even Trump haters acknowledge that his unyielding stance against continued payoffs (started by Clinton and continued through Obama) and talk just as belligerent as Kim’s, along with working closely with SK

He hasn't even appointed an ambassador to South Korea.

How can than, by any stretch of the imagination, be classed as working closely with?
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:50 am
@hightor,
Quote:
. . . the focus on military-styled weapons with pistol grips totally ignores the significantly higher rate at which handguns are used in these crimes.

Well said! Perhaps this contribution of yours will help other media-teat-suckers to stop their incessant barking up the wrong barrel.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 11:36 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

After Nunberg yesterday, Wonkette offers up a sincere apology:
Quote:
We are sorry for ever calling Carter Page the dumbest one in the Trump-Russia investigation

Carter Page is by far the dumbest. Nunberg is caught knowing he has got stuff on, not tRump, but Roger Stone. Stone has thumbed his nose at the FBI for years. Mueller wants him and thinks Nunberg can put the bow on the package. And, the way Nunberg is acting, I think Mueller has got him. Unless, Nunberg is willing to fall on his sword for him.

If he pleads the 5th and Mueller offers him immunity from prosecution, he's gotta talk and tell the truth! If he doesn't talk, he could be held in contempt. Yes, he is caught in a legal pincer movement!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:05 pm
Trump claims ‘there is no chaos’ in White House, but he warns of future firings
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/8yclGgVl.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
@hightor,
Did trump slip you a copy of his plan? I don’t think you have it right.
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:12 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Lash wrote:
my idea is vastly easier, cheaper, and carries fewer consequences.

What idea was that?

This is a complete lie.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
You’re a liar.
0 Replies