monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 05:42 am
Quote:
John Nichols
‏@NicholsUprising
California Gov. Jerry Brown took office in 2011 with a $27 billion deficit. He won voter support for huge tax hikes on the rich in 2012, and voters reauthorized them in 2016. Brown leaves office w/a $6.1 billion surplus.
Take a note: Taxing the rich works.
"Jerry Brown’s Legacy: A $6.1 Billion Budget Surplus in California" - WSJ
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 05:44 am
We're lucky to count among our participating members a number of ardent defenders of the Second Amendment. One of them is extremely concerned about the use of handguns in mass shootings, believing that the focus on military-styled weapons with pistol grips totally ignores the significantly higher rate at which handguns are used in these crimes. Another patriot has been adamant in his effort to point out that pistol grips do not make assault weapons any more dangerous or do anything to increase the firepower of those weapons. I propose a simple experiment: let's remove pistol grips from handguns!
blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 05:59 am
@hightor,
Advice to Youth - Mark Twain
Quote:
Never handle firearms carelessly. The sorrow and suffering that have been caused through the innocent but heedless handling of firearms by the young! Only four days ago, right in the next farm house to the one where I am spending the summer, a grandmother, old and gray and sweet, one of the loveliest spirits in the land, was sitting at her work, when her young grandson crept in and got down an old, battered, rusty gun which had not been touched for many years and was supposed not to be loaded, and pointed it at her, laughing and threatening to shoot. In her fright she ran screaming and pleading toward the door on the other side of the room; but as she passed him he placed the gun almost against her very breast and pulled the trigger! He had supposed it was not loaded. And he was right -- it wasn’t. So there wasn’t any harm done. It is the only case of that kind I ever heard of. Therefore, just the same, don’t you meddle with old unloaded firearms; they are the most deadly and unerring hings that have ever been created by man. You don’t have to take any pains at all with them; you don’t have to have a rest, you don’t have to have any sights on the gun, you don’t have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can’t hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his grandmother every time, at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it make one shudder.
blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:10 am
Off topic.
Elon Musk's SpaceX has already launched five missions since Jan 1. Their target is 30 mission launches for the year. [head blown emoji here]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:15 am
@blatham,
Reddit infiltrated by Russian propaganda in run-up to US election
Quote:
Reddit has become the latest social network to admit that it was infiltrated by Russian misinformation actors in the run-up to the 2016 US election.

In a post on the social news site, Reddit’s chief executive Steve Huffman said that the company has “found and removed a few hundred accounts” which it suspects are of Russian origin, or which were linking directly to “known propaganda domains”.

“The vast majority of suspicious accounts we have found in the past months were banned back in 2015–2016 through our enhanced efforts to prevent abuse of the site generally,” Huffman added.

Reddit has been silent on Russian misinformation efforts on its site for months, despite being viewed as a likely target as far back as September 2017, when the US senator Mark Warner suggested that an investigation into Russian misinformation should expand beyond the initial focus on Twitter and Facebook.

The company appears to have been prompted to speak by a leak from the Internet Research Agency, a notorious “troll farm” which was behind many of the misinformation efforts to date. The documents, seen by the Daily Beast, showed that the agency was sharing “American proxies” for accessing Reddit, and that content from websites it created were receiving “hundreds – and sometimes thousands – [of] upvotes on” Trump-supporting subreddits.

The Daily Beast also reported that at least 21 accounts on Tumblr, the hybrid social network/blogging service owned by Oath (formerly Yahoo), were run directly by the Internet Research Agency.

In his post on Reddit, Huffman acknowledged Reddit’s previous silence on the issue. “While I know it’s frustrating that we don’t share everything we know publicly, I want to reiterate that we take these matters very seriously, and we are co-operating with congressional inquiries. We are growing more sophisticated by the day, and we remain open to suggestions and feedback for how we can improve.”
... ... ...
blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Pretty amazing, isn't it? My concerns re the connected world had revolved around bad folks hacking into the software that controls installations like dams and nuke plants. The potential for effective propaganda operations actually hadn't even occurred to me.
blatham

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:35 am
After Nunberg yesterday, Wonkette offers up a sincere apology:
Quote:
We are sorry for ever calling Carter Page the dumbest one in the Trump-Russia investigation
Walter Hinteler

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:43 am
@blatham,
I know (and I'm friendly with) quite a few Russians and so-called "German Russians" living here since the early 1990's.

You easily could get in those days from where they got there informations ...
Interestingly, mainly the 'real' Russians opposed any information that had its origin in Russian government proximity. (These "German-Russians" seem to be different in the majority - see, for instance, when t in January 2016 when an estimated 10,000 of its members hit the streets in Berlin to protest the alleged rape by migrants of a 13-year-old Russian-German girl [report here])
maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 07:43 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I argue that my idea is vastly easier, cheaper, and carries fewer consequences.

No you haven’t. You have now declared that, but you haven’t shown any evidence.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 07:51 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The grinding pressure of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation is starting to do strange things to peoples' heads.

How else to explain a staggering, reality TV-style meltdown of short-lived Trump campaign adviser Sam Nunberg on Monday, played out in a batch of cable news interviews, marking the oddest twist of the Russia saga yet?

In a stunning blast of accusations, insults and non-sequiturs, Nunberg vowed to defy a grand jury subpoena, dared Mueller to arrest him and claimed the relentless prosecutor believed that Donald Trump was a Manchurian candidate.

It all unfolded in hour upon hour of car-crash television, in a compelling self-immolation that it was impossible to look away from and provided a reminder of the cast of erratic, oddball characters who drift in and out of the President's employ -- some of whom staffed his campaign and his White House.

At times, Nunberg appeared close to the end of his rope, saying he had already spoken to Mueller's team and did not wish to spend another "80 hours" digging through his communications with Trump aides that had been subpoenaed by the special counsel.

"Screw that," Nunberg told CNN's Gloria Borger when asked if he would testify to the grand jury on Friday. "Why do I have to go? Why? For what?"

His defiance risked landing him in jail on contempt charges and threatened to create a sideshow for the straight-laced special counsel while his outbursts were sure to trigger days of news coverage and will therefore likely infuriate Trump.

But though Nunberg's emotional outpouring might be seen as the ramblings of someone under intense duress, it had enough hints of where the Russia investigation may be heading to worry the President.

"This guy is all over the map," former FBI special agent Josh Campbell said, dubbing the Nunberg show "the Great Unravelling."

"Up until this point Mueller's team has been so tight, we haven't seen the leaks so it has been very difficult to see what he's looking for," Campbell said. "I think it's incredible, seeing today this episode unfold before our eyes because it gives us that insight into where the investigation is ultimately headed."

What he said

Nunberg, apparently interpreting questions already put to him by Mueller's investigators, said for instance that he believes that the special counsel has something on Trump related to the Russian meddling effort on the 2016 election: "I suspect they suspect something about him," he told Borger.

He also claimed the special counsel is trying to prove that Trump associate Roger Stone colluded with Julian Assange, founder of the WikiLeaks site which is reputed to have links with Russian intelligence.

In another claim that would be highly significant if it turns out to be true, Nunberg claimed Trump knew about a meeting between his son Donald Trump Jr., campaign officials and a Russia delegation offering dirt on Hillary Clinton.

"He talked about it a week before and I don't know why he did this," said Nunberg, in his second CNN interview, this time with Jake Tapper.

"I don't know why he went around trying to hide. He shouldn't have," Nunberg said.

The President has denied he knew anything about the meeting.

Nunberg also said he suspected that former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page had colluded with the Russians, and said he was a "moron" -- though argued that he was too low-level to have much influence with Trump.

While much of what Nunberg said was insulting toward Trump and his staff, he also insisted that the President did not conspire with the Russians during the election, offering a rather backhanded defense of his former boss.

"Vladimir Putin is too smart to collude with Donald Trump," Nunberg told CNN. "Donald Trump couldn't keep his mouth shut if Putin colluded with him."

CNN
revelette1

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 07:58 am
Trump Hates the Trade Deficit. Most Economists Don’t. (NYT)
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:07 am
Trump is getting credit for stopping the ransom gravy train to NK. I think we may actually disarm them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/asia/north-korea-south-nuclear-weapons.amp.html

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, has told South Korean envoys that his country is willing to begin negotiations with the United States on abandoning its nuclear weapons and that it would suspend all nuclear and missile tests while it is engaged in such talks, South Korean officials said on Tuesday.

During the envoys’ two-day visit to Pyongyang, the North’s capital, which ended on Tuesday, the two Koreas also agreed to hold a summit meeting between Mr. Kim and President Moon Jae-in of South Korea on the countries’ border in late April, Mr. Moon’s office said in a statement.

“The North Korean side clearly stated its willingness to denuclearize,” the statement said. “It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.”
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:09 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I work in a corporation and sometimes, often we have to find the best choice out of many choices. Often there are no good choices only less bad ones.

Here is an example where we could either change 300MM people’s views on mental health, bullying, medication, etc....or we could limit the killing-spree-potential of semi-automatic rifles.

One of these choices is vastly easier, cheaper, and with the fewest un-intended consequences.

I did as much as you did.

You said a few sentences with no proof.
revelette1

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:29 am
@Lash,
I am not sure of what anything Trump may have said which could have brought it about but it is good news N and S Korea are open to nuclear talks and also open to talks with US. Perhaps the goodwill between the two Korea's at the Olympics created some goodwill. Or perhaps North Korea after being involved with nations during the Olympics, is finally tired to being isolated. I don't know but it is good. I only hope Trump don't screw it up.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
my idea is vastly easier, cheaper, and carries fewer consequences.

What idea was that?
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:52 am
Even Trump haters acknowledge that his unyielding stance against continued payoffs (started by Clinton and continued through Obama) and talk just as belligerent as Kim’s, along with working closely with SK and China to set this table was the driving force behind Kim’s brimming acquiescence.

Kim is used to enormous payoffs.

He needs a plan B quick.

Looks like the problem is rapidly approaching solved.
Lash

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:53 am
@Olivier5,
I detailed it somewhere around here. I’ll find it and bump it today.
Olivier5

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:56 am
@Lash,
If you can't remember it, it was probably not that important...
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:02 am
@Lash,
Sure Lash, but I didn’t make the declaration that this was a argument.

I stated a proposition.
You said you formed an argument.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 6 Mar, 2018 09:05 am
@Lash,
“Rapidly approaching solved?”

You’re so quick to give Trump credit for things that haven’t happened yet.

Wonder why...
0 Replies