monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 02:46 pm
@roger,
How bout sow bellies?
hightor

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 02:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, I listed some of the things which might lessen the incidence of school shootings but I don't expect to see the same diligence applied to the other public venues where mass shootings could take place. What I don't think we will see is a magic bullet (ha!) which will solve, once and for all, the larger problem of gun violence in our national culture.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 02:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

How bout sow bellies?

Got my mother's family through the Depression and Dust Bowl, one litter at a time.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 03:01 pm
@blatham,
And when tobacco smokers ignore the obvious risks of their habit someone else is to blame.

There's always someone else to blame, never the poor hapless individuals who need the government to care for them.
Setanta

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 03:13 pm
Oh yeah, and when school kids ignore the obvious risks of going to school, they deserve to die in a pool of blood, huh?
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 03:29 pm
@Setanta,
Exactly! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 03:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
And when tobacco smokers ignore the obvious risks of their habit someone else is to blame.

There's always someone else to blame, never the poor hapless individuals who need the government to care for them.

This is unusually lame, Finn, even for you. You suck up all the benefits that extend to you and yours from the government, all the while pretending you are some self-sufficient Daniel Boone, hewing and chopping your way thru life.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 04:32 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner has had his White House security clearance downgraded, US media are reporting.

Mr Kushner, a senior adviser to the president, had been receiving top-secret security briefings.

However, background checks into Mr Kushner had still not been completed, so he had interim clearance only.

He and other White House aides who have yet to receive permanent clearance will not now get top-secret briefings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43216602
0 Replies

thack45

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 04:58 pm
Georgia Republicans threaten to stop Delta tax break over NRA decision

Quote:
The state's Republicans — including a major candidate for governor— are threatening to kill part of a bill that would eliminate a state tax on jet fuel. If it passes, the provision is expected to save the Atlanta-based airline tens of millions of dollars.

"We felt that it was wrong for them to single out one company," [1] said Chuck Hufstetler, chairman of the state's Senate Finance Committee. Delta (DAL) on Saturday announced that It would end discounted rates for National Rifle Association members.

Georgia's House of Representatives voted in favor of the legislation last week. It also won over Republican Governor Nathan Deal, who called the measure an important part of the state's tax reform plan that would "keep Georgia competitive as a major international hub of commerce." [2]

Georgia Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle, a frontrunner in the state's gubernatorial race this year, vowed to "kill any tax legislation" that helps Delta unless it reverses course.

"Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back," [3] he tweeted.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/26/news/companies/delta-nra-georgia-republican/

So much I don't like about this. First, I'll start by saying that I didn't feel great about seeing the various companies dropping their affiliation with the NRA last week. I mean, I get it, but it's just hammering the wedge that's being driven between everyday Americans, while none of this crap will be any skin off the noses of the businesses in question, or the NRA. I guess we should've known the day is fast coming when we'll need a god damned rolodex of the companies we can't patronize, because everyone has to take a side on everything. But I guess this is what happens when we elect a bloviating internet junkie as Complainer in Chief, and he ushers in the era of conservative media as the face of the White House...

[1] Never really thought about the NRA as "one company", but whatever. And I'd be curious to know what these folks' stance is on the cake makers who refuse to provide their tasty delights to those wicked sodomites intending on wrecking the sanctity (lol) of marriage

[2] Yeah they've got bigger fish to fry than their attempts to bolster the state's economic viability now. Millions of dollars in donations' worth – from "one company"

[3] Interesting that he should falsely frame NRA membership as a wholly conservative organization. But anyway, what really mashes my taters is that this is now the modus operandi. There is no longer any veil. Government officials are full-on bent on public revenge for every slight. No diplomacy. No decency. Everything's a fight. Everyone's a victim. And it's all a massive spectacle where these people have just joined in to the fray that all of us have been in since the beginning of the internet. And they're doing it all, ostensibly, on our behalf. 'You, the people, are suffering' they'll say, 'So we will go out and punch back, hurt them worse than you are hurting, because that's what you want, and that's what you do.'
roger

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:02 pm
@farmerman,
Meat? That's MEAT.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:10 pm
There was a podcast released today about how FL really had no good laws to stop the Parkland shooter. It outlines, in detail, how despite the 39 red flags that were reported, legally there was not much the FBI or local police could have done.

Podcast: New York Times, The Daily
Date: 2/27/18

Even Trump admitted that there were no good laws for this kid.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:16 pm
@maporsche,
That's bullshit.

There is a Florida law against threatening people and he did just that.

Why is it so important for you to excuse the failures of our government?
Glennn

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:24 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
legally there was not much the FBI or local police could have done.

Really? The guy goes on social media and says he wants to be a school shooter. His name is connected to his post. The FBI admitted to not following protocol. What's with you defending the inept?
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:44 pm
@Glennn,
Because he's a progressive...that's what they do.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:50 pm
@Setanta,
Well, that certainly demonstrates the grand intellect of which you insist on assuring us all here you have, Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:01 pm
@maporsche,
interesting/disturbing listen

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/podcasts/the-daily/florida-school-shooting-nikolas-cruz.html
maporsche

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

That's bullshit.

There is a Florida law against threatening people and he did just that.

Why is it so important for you to excuse the failures of our government?

Because our current laws are insufficient. Because mental health is not taken seriously in this country.

FL had the wrong laws. 3 states have what’s known as “Red Flag” laws. Thats a start.
maporsche

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks. I’m sure the ignorant will choose to remain so.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:43 pm
Quote:
He’s off the streets. You can’t arrest him, I guess, because he hasn’t done anything, but you know he’s like a boiler ready to explode, right?” the president said. “You can’t put him in jail, I guess, because he hasn’t done anything. But in the old days, you would put him into a mental institution.”

Trump also said that governments began closing institutions because of costs, and that such decisions were made by some of the governors in that room.

“We’re going to have to start talking about mental institutions, because a lot of folks in this room closed their mental institutions also,” he said. “We have no halfway. We have nothing between a prison and leaving him at his house, which we can’t do anymore. So I think you folks have to start thinking about that.”
Brand X

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 07:08 pm
@maporsche,
Law enforcement could have enforced the Baker Act.

'Clarification of Baker Act criteria
Specific criteria must be met in order to initiate involuntary examination. Among those criteria are the following elements, that by themselves, do not qualify an individual as having met or meeting the criteria:

Reason to believe that the person has a mental illness; refusal of voluntary examination; the person is unable to determine whether examination is necessary. Criteria are not met simply because a person has mental illness, appears to have mental problems, takes psychiatric medication, or has an emotional outburst. Criteria are not met simply because a person refuses voluntary examination. Criteria are not met if there are family members or friends that will help prevent any potential and present threat of substantial harm.

The criteria, as stated in the statute, mentions a substantial likelihood that without care or treatment the person will cause serious bodily harm in the near future. ("Substantial" means ample, considerable, firm or strong.)

To further clarify this point of substantial likelihood, there must be evidence of recent behavior to justify the substantial likelihood of serious bodily harm in the near future. Moments in the past, when an individual may have considered harming themselves or another, do not qualify the individual as meeting the criteria. ("Near" means close, short, or draws near.)[5]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act#Clarification_of_Baker_Act_criteria