monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:17 am
@hightor,
Quote:
So let me see if I've gotten this right; floating an unproven hypothesis bestows "authority"?
Indeed it does. This is why it is so irrational of others to dismiss my solution for global warming - just push the sun further away. So simple.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:44 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
What do you think they sell? Motherhood and apple pie?

They don't sell anything. They prevent you from violating our civil rights.
oralloy

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 05:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You want to give lessons of freedom?

I don't know about want, but I'm certainly qualified to give them.

Olivier5 wrote:
Who do you think you are?

Free.

And I'm going to stay that way.

Olivier5 wrote:
Your nation and your own very brains have been rendered totally helpless in front of this problem.

I'm the only one who has even tried to solve it.

Olivier5 wrote:
A bunch of capitalists are sacrificing your children to the almighty dollar god,

No they aren't.

Olivier5 wrote:
and you stand on the side, watching.

No. I'm going to be on the front lines blocking this civil rights violation from ever passing.

Olivier5 wrote:
What have you done with your freedom?

I've enjoyed it.
hightor

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:08 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
They prevent you from violating our civil rights.

What rights? They work to uphold a certain interpretation of the 2nd Amendment which confers a single right to keep and bear arms. What other "rights" are they protecting?
Olivier5

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 06:39 am
@oralloy,
No, you're not qualified. The word rings hollow in your mouth. It rings like the accepted, embraced servitude to a false god. They say that obeying a law by choice is liberty, but did you really chose to think that the lives of children ought to be sacrificed to a particular piece of individual freedom (the right to own and carry guns), or were you born into a society or milieu that conditionned you to think so?

How would you even be able to weight or compare these two things: the safety of kids vs the right to bear arms? Have you ever cared for a kid, raised one, loved one?
revelette1

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 08:40 am
Quote:

(CNN)For 12 grief soaked days, it felt like something was different this time, that the massacre of 17 people at a Florida school and the activism of teenagers who survived it would force a rethinking of America's relationship with guns.

The push for change quickened over the weekend as powerful cries for gun law reform from the kids who escaped the rampage rang in the nation's ears. Delta Air Lines, United and Avis Budget Group joined a growing list of powerful firms that severed ties with the National Rifle Association. And a CNN/SSRS poll showed 70% of Americans want tougher regulation of firearms.

But as soon as Washington got back in the game Monday, it looked a lot more like business as usual, as a push for new regulation and significantly strengthened background checks appeared to lose political momentum.

CNN

Quote:
Florida lawmakers are mulling a series of proposals in response to the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that triggered an outcry for accountability and reform.

With the last day of the state's legislative session set for March 9, the clock is ticking for lawmakers amid pressure from young survivors of the shooting, who converged in Tallahassee Monday.

Hundreds of Floridians, including Stoneman Douglas students, converged on the state Capitol Monday in an event called Rally in Tally calling for stronger gun laws.

"My generation is saying, 'Will I survive another day? Will I be shot in a movie theater or a concert?'" said Houston Barenholtz, 18. "We're supposed to be protecting these places and now we're getting shot at."

Participants had listed a permanent ban on assault-style rifles as one of its aims, but that prospect was dashed Monday.

An amendment to a Florida bill that would have banned assault-style rifles like the one used in the Parkland shooting failed in a vote by a Florida senate subcommittee. Disappointed demonstrators in orange shirts who are pushing for gun safety, pointed their finger at the lawmakers and chanted "shame" and "vote them out."

The Florida Democratic Party slammed the vote as "a shame that Governor [Rick] Scott and Tallahassee Republicans continue to do the bidding of the gun lobby, instead of listening to the chorus of voices asking for common sense gun legislation."

The subcommittee rejected the proposal, which was an amendment to Senate Bill 7022. The bill, which lets law enforcement seize firearms from people under certain conditions, advanced without the amendment.

CNN
revelette1

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 08:49 am
Quote:
Hope Hicks, one of President Trump’s closest aides and advisers, is scheduled to speak behind closed doors Tuesday with the House Intelligence Committee in a meeting lawmakers fear could deepen their standoff with the White House over witnesses refusing to answer questions.

Rep. K. Michael Conaway (R-Texas), who is running the panel’s Russia investigation, said in an interview Monday that he “would not be surprised” if Hicks followed the example of other close Trump aides and advisers who have simply refused to answer certain questions, arguing that the president might want to invoke executive privilege at some point in the future.

WP
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:14 am
I nearly fell out of my barcolounger this morning: CBS news said Trump deserves credit for giving so many people of widely-ranging opinions a platform to discuss action on gun control.

If he puts action behind his rhetoric, he’ll be the one who finally takes action against this crazy gun situation.

Waiting hopefully.
camlok

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:28 am
@Lash,
Quote:
CBS news said Trump deserves credit for giving so many people of widely-ranging opinions a platform to discuss action on gun control.

The media knows that Americans really like their caffeine shots of propaganda.
hightor

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:31 am
@Lash,
It's interesting, that's for sure.

Politicians are loath to squander their popularity with the masses. The thing about Trump is that he's not a politician, he's a showman, and he really thinks people are behind him 100% — that bit about him shooting someone in the street and getting away with it, right? He's such a flim-flam artist though, that it wouldn't surprise me if he achieved some mild change in background checks (a good first step) or signed some measure to allow for concealed weapons in school (which doesn't address the core problem) he'll be claiming to have solved this issue and the one chance we may have had of getting someone to really face down the NRA will be lost. School shootings, which make for tragic headlines, aren't the only problem with our policy on firearms. What's really amazing is that it takes the needless death of schoolkids to get anyone riled up about gun violence.
Lash

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:33 am
@camlok,
So, here’s the thing.

He’s said we may have to take on the NRA. He’s outlined about four changes in gun laws that the NRA has fought stridently.

IF he continues to use his bully pulpit to affect these changes, will you credit him?
blatham

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:33 am
Now here's a perfect analogy
Quote:
Page To Hannity: ‘You Have Been The Edward R. Murrow’ Of Russia Probe
Lash

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:35 am
@hightor,
I won’t consider concealed carry in schools a positive step. I’m really hoping the showman plays to the crowd on this one.
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:37 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
It rings like the accepted, embraced servitude to a false god.

What you are saying is true, Olivier, but your own hypocrisy is simply stunning. Here you are chastising someone for not caring about children and yet you have long supported the deeply evil criminals who pulled off 9/11 just so they could go murder untold numbers of children.

You do this by your deep and abiding lies, trying to protect the perpetrators of 9/11, when you know full well that the USGOCT is so full of impossibilities that it hasn't a chance of being true.

And here you have the gall to point fingers at others.
0 Replies

BillW

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:44 am
@blatham,
From Baghdad Bob to Edward R. Murrow. Now that is from either ends of the spectrum.......
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:50 am
Colbert to Trump:
Quote:
‘What are you going to do, run in there and stab them with your bone spurs?’
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:53 am
@hightor,
Your last sentence re: requiring needless deaths to compel action...

This is why I’ve harped on Obama and that criminal band of geriatric bloodsuckers in Congress.

They did nothing. I want to know why. I think the power of the NRA goes deeper than the Republicans. It seems like it would take a powerful bipartisan effort to avoid doing something in light of the school shooting gallery we’ve witnessed in recent years.

It’s like the American public has been groomed and manipulated.

Why don’t people go to jail and responsible entities suffer crushing penalties for neglecting to follow gun sale laws???? Nothing happens. Why doesn’t each individual who dropped Cruz lose their job and pay penalties??? I don’t understand.

When you face no consequences for dropping vital information about a person who is exhibiting every marker for future gun violence, what is that society saying about gun violence?

Edit—WTF about law enforcement being called to this kid over 20 times, receiving complaints about previous threats with guns—and not confiscating guns prior to further investigation? It’s mind boggling.

We don’t care.
ehBeth

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
and you're not free to get rid of the NRA either. You are their slaves, in fact.

the polls really do seem to support that

it would be an interesting area to study but god it would be depressing
blatham

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:05 am
GOP Rep Brian Mast of Florida, sane person.
Quote:
Mast is a Bronze Star winner — the ultimate “good guy with a gun,” as gun-rights supporters like to say. But his handgun and concealed-weapon permit would have been no match for someone firing a military-style weapon from high above. “He could take me out, and my concealed-carry does me no good,” he recalled thinking that day. That’s when Mast started thinking, for the first time in his brief political career, about how federal gun laws should change.
WP
BillW

Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:05 am
@ehBeth,
tRump is depressing.
0 Replies