monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 05:49 pm
@jcboy,
Not even any of his Righty loyal followers believe this piece of tRump bs, especially his buddies.....
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You are pressing a nonsensical comparison.

Is a school child's life more valuable than an adult politician's?

His point is that our emotional response to victimized/murdered children is more acute than if the subject was an adult. We, most of us, have a much more robust urge to protect children than adults and we are far less forgiving of such crimes committed against children.
BillW

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:09 pm
@blatham,
Blatham, you forget, this is a RightWing politician. If they had of been LeftWing, then Finn would be for the politician to have died. Of course, he would still have cared less that 17 children died anyways unless the killer was a leftie........
camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Teachers should be able to figure out the difference between someone who is going around murdering people and someone who is not.

Why should teachers be so good at that when USians are so blind and dumb to the tens of millions war criminal US governments have slaughtered since WWII?
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:13 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Teachers should be able to figure out the difference between someone who is going around murdering people and someone who is not.

Didn't you get the email?

The NRA said, "Under no circumstances should anyone use this ridiculous meme [above] for any reason whatsoever. People will think we are totally nuts".
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:14 pm
@BillW,
I did note the irony of a modern conservative fellow who, in this case, seemingly has a child's life and a politician's life as equivalent. But I'm not a confrontational sort, so didn't say a peep about it.
BillW

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:18 pm
@blatham,
I have learned over the years how to play in the same playground as them. I have found that the best way to defeat a bully is to play their game. Let me add that it does weigh on me at times, I guess that's what they mean by "Snowflake" - which is a compliment. A pejorative is RightWing Conservative, what a diss!
camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:21 pm
@BillW,
If you are so good at seeing thru right wing bullshit, Bill, how is it that you can't see thru the USGOCT? It is way more flimsy than even a Trump delivery.
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:29 pm
@oralloy,
You missed the email.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:32 pm
@blatham,
Of course. It is an emotional response.

So now put your emotions to the side and tell me whose life is more valuable: a random child's or a random adult's? And why please.

Clearly, Barrack Obama is no hero of mine but he is to millions who would love to see him still in the White House. If you were someone who thought he was crucial to the nation's health and prosperity (and it would be dishonest of you to suggest there weren't a great many people who believed such a thing) how would you measure the value of his life against a random teenager's?

People make these judgments. They may not voice them, but they make them nevertheless.

Going on about how the lives of children are more important than the lives of adults is, emotionally gratifying, and perhaps, in some cases, quite legitimate, but using such an emotional expression in an important discussion that requires clear heads, is cheap.

maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
A comparison that YOU started.

I’ll cease harping on it.
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 08:18 pm
NRA types are always rather, what's the word I'm looking for, oralloy, can you help me out, ummmm, mmmm, oh yeah, thick!

Quote:
THAT'S A KNOPE
For Some Reason, The NRA Thought It Would Be A Good Idea To Use A 'Parks And Rec' GIF To Promote Itself

​Last night's CNN town hall on gun control was a bit of a shitshow, with Stoneman Douglas mass shooting survivors confronting (and sometimes heckling) pro-gun talking points by Senator Marco Rubio and NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch. The NRA's social media manager decided that the best way to buck up Loesch after her rhetorical defeat at the hands of teens was to tweet a GIF of... Leslie Knope from "Parks and Recreation"?

http://digg.com/2018/nra-parks-and-rec

ehBeth

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 08:57 pm
@ehBeth,
While that article had links back to the relevant polls, I found it most interesting to take a deeper look at this one (ymmv)

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2521

I found some of trendlines fascinating - and the difference between younger and older respondents is truly striking.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 09:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know that anyone has made a claim that kids' lives are more important then adults' lives. There's obviously no empirical way to measure the value of anyone's life. We have only our intuitions and preferences regarding that. Is a christian's life more valuable than a muslim's life? Or vice versa? But we do understand that we have a moral obligation to protect those who are most vulnerable, including youth.

An emotional response does not make that response invalid or inappropriate. You and I have a moral/emotional response to Buchenwald, to rape, to torture, to cruelty.
What sort of policy or legal decisions could we ever make about such acts if we weren't directed by such moral intuitions/values. That you have an emotional response to the murder of 6 million Jews does not mean that the steps you take or decisions you make or the politicians you support afterwards are going to be irrational.
ehBeth

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 09:21 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
There's obviously no empirical way to measure the value of anyone's life.

insurance carriers and courts think they can

I think they/we get it wrong pretty much each time I see a valuation.
BillW

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:08 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

What sort of policy or legal decisions could we ever make about such acts if we weren't directed by such moral intuitions/values. That you have an emotional response to the murder of 6 million Jews does not mean that the steps you take or decisions you make or the politicians you support afterwards are going to be irrational.

...and, then there's the Holocaust deniers - tRumpians, deplorables and totally disgusting individuals.....