monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:26 pm
@ehBeth,
I didn't know that was happening. I love MEC (my membership # is down near the bottom) but they'd better do the right thing on this. I suspect they will.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:33 pm
Apparently, Jesus is now saying that during his lifetime He frequently mis-spoke
Quote:
Pruitt is saying, basically, that God is a constitutional Conservative who wants America governed by the strict limited-government principles of the late 18th century, as expressed by “your leaders in the days of old.” This is pretty classic Christian right stuff, insofar as it divinizes reactionary policies (and the culture that created them) and treats the massive, sinister shifts in power and wealth from the weak to the strong — you know, the sort of things Jesus Christ might have objected to strenuously — as incidental to the restoration of a godly past.

So whether or not Scott Pruitt believes that the Almighty Creator wants us to despoil the creation with lusty abandon, he pretty clearly thinks deploying government to stop said despoiling defies the divine order. And Pruitt’s in a pretty key position to make sure EPA does not participate in that great sin.
NYMag
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:36 pm
@blatham,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mec-guns-vista-boycott-1.4552325

it was about the first thing CBC radio covered as I woke up today

I was already leery of MEC after the whole Source Vagabond thing.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes. I just read another piece on this. I was out of the country when the Source Vagabond issue came up and had to read about it right now. It looks like MEC did not behave well in that case. I'll keep watch. I'd hate to cancel my membership but I will.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:47 pm
Quote:
The poll finds that a majority of Americans strongly support action and vastly outnumber those who strongly oppose action. It finds that 69 percent of Americans favor “stricter gun control laws,” and 52 percent do so “strongly.” Meanwhile, only 26 percent oppose them, with only 14 percent doing so strongly.

The poll’s demographic breakdown further tells the story...

But the CNN numbers point to something potentially important — an apparent intensity on the issue among that latter set of groups:

63 percent of women strongly favor stricter gun control laws.
62 percent of nonwhites strongly favor them.
76 percent of people who disapprove of Trump strongly favor them.
58 percent of white college graduates strongly favor them.
66 percent of people from non-gun households strongly favor them.
What’s more, the CNN numbers show, counterintuitively, that even among the groups who are supposed to be culturally inclined against action, majorities actually favor action.
WP
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Then how about offering a solution instead of simply criticizing those offered?

I didn't know that one needed to offer a solution before questioning the outcome of some proposed action.

Can I offer a "solution"? No. I can't. I don't believe there is one. It's typical of our disneyfied mentality that we actually believe that there's some single legislative answer to this complex problem, which, deus ex machina, simply awaits the enactment into law by a flourish of Mr. Trump's pen. There isn't. If ten or fifteen years from now we find that school shootings are virtually non-existent, gun violence is a fraction of its current level, gun sales are at an all time low, and the NRA has returned its pre-LaPierre basically benign role working in the interest of sportsmen and promoting gun safety — if we see these changes, and others, it won't be because of one bill. It will be because of the accumulation of many actions, some obvious, some subtle. And it will be because of a change in the way the nation thinks about firearms.

Obviously the public demands some action on the school shootings. There are physical changes that can be made to the entrances of school buildings which can go a long way to preventing unauthorized entry and there are other measures which can block sight lines. All the solutions won't be top-down either. Individual schools can devise plans to identify kids who might represent a threat, teachers around the country can network to share solutions, students can develop and offer some of their own ideas. There needs to be a sustained effort on many fronts. I reject the 'good guy with a gun' fantasy.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 04:02 pm
Oh for the love of god
Quote:
Edward-Isaac Dovere‏Verified account
@IsaacDovere
Sarah Huckabee Sanders just clarified that when President Trump said earlier that he'd have run into the school with the active shooter, he didn't really mean that he'd run into a school with an active shooter but rather that he'd "be a leader"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 04:25 pm
@Olivier5,
You're more than welcome to your opinion.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 04:27 pm
@maporsche,
You are pressing a nonsensical comparison.

Is a school child's life more valuable than an adult politician's?

How many school children's deaths would you have preferred to Obama's?

Below viewing threshold (view)
camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
All for the good but I'm still absolutely stunned by the hypocrisy, as you must be too, Beth.

17 murdered kids is a sad sad event but it doesn't come anywhere near the millions the USA has slaughtered. Where are the boycotts being mounted for these murderous US presidents?

Really, doesn't anyone care?
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 05:11 pm
@blatham,
Better get out your signs, Bernie, and dust them off. And your tie dyed T-shirts and headbands. It's back to the trenches for you!!
0 Replies

jcboy

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 05:46 pm
Trump says he would have run into the school to protect the kids and even take down the gunman physically without any weapons. I guess those bone spurs have finally healed if you are actually foolish enough to believe this asshole! Razz

Trump on Florida shooting: 'I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon'

Quote:

Trump on Florida shooting: 'I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon'
Jeremy Diamond 2017
By Jeremy Diamond, CNN
Updated 5:28 PM ET, Mon February 26, 2018
Trump talks school safety with governors

PauseFullscreen
Now Playing Trump talks school...
Source: CNN
Trump talks school safety with governors 02:08
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said Monday he would have stormed into the Florida high school to stop the gunman perpetrating the nation's latest mass shooting "even if I didn't have a weapon" as he lambasted the inaction of a sheriff's deputy assigned to the school.

"You don't know until you test it, but I think, I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon, and I think most of the people in this room would have done that too," Trump told a gathering of US governors at the White House.