monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 01:47 pm
@hightor,
Then how about offering a solution instead of simply criticizing those offered?
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 01:49 pm
@hightor,
The slaughter of schoolchildren is horrific, however, political assassinations are more injurious to the nation.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:01 pm
@hightor,
Indeed. The following reporting from The Intercept on internal strategy documents from the Koch operations is a MUST READ.

Quote:
IN THE BACKDROP of a chaotic first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, the conservative Koch brothers have won victory after victory in their bid to reshape American government to their interests.

Documents obtained by The Intercept and Documented show that the network of wealthy donors led by billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch have taken credit for a laundry list of policy achievements extracted from the Trump administration and their allies in Congress.

The donors have pumped campaign contributions not only to GOP lawmakers, but also to an array of third-party organizations that have pressured officials to act swiftly to roll back limits on pollution, approve new pipeline projects, and extend the largest set of upper-income tax breaks in generations.

“This year, thanks in part to research and outreach efforts across institutions, we have seen progress on many regulatory priorities this Network has championed for years,” the memo notes. The document highlights environmental issues that the Koch brothers have long worked to undo, such as the EPA Clean Power Plan, which is currently under the process of being formally repealed, and Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement, among their major accomplishments. The memo also highlighted administration efforts to walk back planned rules to strengthen the estate tax in a list of 13 regulatory decisions favored by the network.

The network’s political operation includes a polling and research outfit, Capitol Hill lobbyists, several hundred field staff, groups designed to air campaign ads, and an assortment of grassroots groups set up to appeal to certain constituencies. The LIBRE Initiative is a network group geared toward selling Koch policy ideas to Latino communities. Generation Opportunity works to reach out to millennials and college students; Veterans For America for veterans and military-minded voters.

Despite some public antagonism over Trump — including flirtations with replacing him as the nominee with Ryan at the Republican National Convention — the Koch brothers have enjoyed incredible access with his administration. The president’s lawyer, Don McGahn; the president’s chief liaison to Congress, Marc Short; and the president’s counselor, Kellyanne Conway all previously worked for the Koch network before taking their current positions in the White House. Ethics forms reveal that officials across the government, including at the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy, previously served at Koch think tanks or other Koch groups. Vice President Mike Pence also maintains a very close relationship with the Koch brothers.
More Here
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You don't think 17 children being murdered would cause more outrage than 1 guy getting shot and surviving??

Ok. I don't know that I believe you, but ok.
maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, see, he wasn't assassinated. He was shot. He survived. He's now considered a hero by some.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:17 pm
Quote:
President Trump on Monday criticized the officers who failed to confront the shooter at Stoneman Douglas High School, boasting that “I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon.”

“You never know until you’re tested,” he said during a meeting with governors at the White House on Monday. “But I think, I really believe I’d run in there even if I didn’t have a weapon and I think most of the people in this room would’ve done that too because I know most of you.”
TPM

Oh, no question about it. Trump would have run right in there and taken out the shooter with a blackboard brush. He's that kind of man. Maybe not a super-hero but close. And we know all this because there was a rally where he was tested.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:27 pm
Feminists have "snake-filled heads" and become "career-obsessed banshees". We know this is so because we've been told so by Courtland Sykes, GOP candidate in Missouri supported by Roy Moore. TPM

And I think that's all pretty special, top to bottom. Love these people. Love 'em.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:27 pm
@maporsche,
That he and the others weren't slaughtered was not by the shooter's intentions.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:30 pm
@maporsche,
Well, see...Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield, MLK, Malcom X, RFK and JFK were assassinated, and Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan might have been as well.

But as long as the guy doesn't die, no biggy huh?
maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well, see...Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield, MLK, Malcom X, RFK and JFK were assassinated, and Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan might have been as well.

But as long as the guy doesn't die, no biggy huh?

No biggie compared to 17 murdered children, and 12 the time before that, and 22 the time before that, and the....do I need to continue?

And we're talking about public and nationwide outrage, remember. That was your opening question. Why isn't there as much public nationwide outrage. THAT answer is obvious.
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:50 pm
Here's another one:
Quote:
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin (R) on Monday told President Donald Trump that a “culture of death,” “psychiatric drugs” and a lapse in morality are contributing to the increase in mass shootings in America.

He also said guns are not to blame because “there have always been guns.”

“This culture of death is becoming pervasive and if it’s not addressed by all the imperfect people in this room with a sense of purpose and sense of aspiration, I think we are going to see a continued trajectory that is not good,” he said during a governors meeting at the White House on Monday.
TPM

When we translate from Batshitish to English, we see that "culture of death" means abortion but doesn't refer to warfare nor citizens carrying AK-47 type weapons which were designed precisely for the purpose of killing. Also, of course, cultural decline is a consequence of liberals and satan (same thing, really) and a growing distance from Jesus. *Side note: I'll be happy to wager this wonderful man is not a fan of The Handmaid's Tale.

But what is that "psychiatric drugs" thing? It's possible he has had some Scientologist whispering in his ear. Or perhaps it is something he read in the dependable RW media uninverse. It's also possible that he would prefer to place the blame on psychiatrists (who are far less responsible for opioid prescriptions, for example, than medical doctors) rather than on pharmaceutical companies. Whatever the case, this boy is really stupid.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:54 pm
@maporsche,
Imagine the emotional avalanche had Obama been assassinated.

MLK 's murder sparked riots across the land.

You are someone who only values your own emotion and devalues those of people with whom you disagree.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:55 pm
@blatham,
Idiocy
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There are many groups working for the greater good, the advancement of mankind and stuff, science, education, health for all and antiracism and the like. They are forces for good to the extent that they do morally good stuff.

There are also groups that foster their own (or their masters') interests at the expense of the greater good. They are forces of evil to the extent that they do morally evil **** to the general public, for their own or some narrow group's interest.

In my opinion, the NRA squarely belongs to the second category.

blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:01 pm
I think we'll all cheer at this forward-thinking business strategy.
Quote:
Firearm manufacturer donates to Boy Scouts of America to ensure they’re ‘consumers for life’

Less than two weeks after a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida left 17 people dead, one of the most popular gun manufacturers in the country is courting Boy Scouts in order to cultivate the next generation of gun owners.

Vista Outdoor manufactures a range of outdoor sports and recreation gear, including everything from water bottles to grills. The company also owns several firearms and ammunition brands, including Savage Arms, a line of rifles and shotguns. Savage Arms boasts on it’s website that “to hold one of our firearms in your hands is to know what winning feels like.”
TP

maporsche

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
To the extent that you are outraged about either, rate your outrage for Steve Scalise getting shot compared to the 100+ kids murdered in school shootings.

Scalise: X out of 10
Hundred Children: X out of 10

For me,

Scalise: 2/10
Children: 5/10
ehBeth

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:06 pm
@blatham,
must have been a fun meeting
definitely a wiiiiide range of opinions were shared

Quote:
“I just think this is a circumstance where we need to listen — that educators should educate, and they should not be foisted upon this responsibility of packing heat in first-grade classes. Now, I understand you have suggested this, and we suggest things and sometimes then we listen to people about it, and maybe they don’t look so good a little later. So I just suggest we need a little less tweeting, a little more listening.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/26/17054474/jay-inslee-trump-guns-teachers
ehBeth

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:11 pm
@blatham,
This is the source of the current protest against Mountain Equipment Co-op.
BillW

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

All that, and I could probably think of more.

For sure, the worst would be events the armed teachers preceive to be treats and shoot students or parents up by mistake......my god, so many more!
blatham

Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
It's a good piece, beth. The conclusion made is the obvious one. Guns for teachers, new mental health institutions, etc are all distractions with the goal of taking citizens' attention off of the billions of dollars being made by the gun industry and it's related universe of parasites. Thanks.
0 Replies