monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:58 pm
@blatham,
You didn't imply Simon is a sissy, Finn did. He is the penultimate of a no-nothing. He's basically blah blah blah, huff puff loud snorts of outrage, and more blah blah blah.. I am so sick of listening to these real snowflakes who have never had to deal with a murder or rape or suicide postulating about the RIGHT way to react. A pox on his house...but not on his kids....
Olivier5

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 02:23 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
Enabling murderers, that's what.

The NRA does not enable any murders.

They sell tools for murder and want unlimited access to the market... They are your kids' real murderers. And it's all for the money, your children's lives for a dime.
roger

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 02:31 am
@Olivier5,
What is it you believe they sell?
Olivier5

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 04:17 am
@roger,
Addiction to violence and tools for mass murder.
blatham

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 04:28 am
@glitterbag,
Definitely not a sissy. I've heard him speak.
Quote:
I am so sick of listening to these real snowflakes who have never had to deal with a murder or rape or suicide postulating about the RIGHT way to react.
Yeah. I have the same response to bold and ignorant assertions regarding schools and teaching anytime they are made but particularly right now.
hightor

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 05:19 am
Opened up my browser to find this article from the Atlantic:
Quote:
Other than fuel corruption, make countries spend pointlessly and profligately, inflame nationalist sentiment, act as onanistic stand-ins for geopolitical tensions, and cloak authoritarian leaders in legitimacy, what have the Olympics ever done for us?

It is my real and very honest question every two years: What are the Olympics good for? Why do we continue to have them? Certainly for the athletes participating they can represent the pinnacle of a career’s worth of hard work—maybe even a life’s ambition realized. But for the rest of us, what is the point? Aside from the temporary flash of sumptuous spectacle, there’s little good that ever comes of the Games. If anything, they exacerbate some of the worst of human nature.

Ban the Olympics
Lash

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 05:43 am
@hightor,
I’ve always thought it was a gluttonous, useless expenditure of money, and that’s always been a very unpopular opinion.

I can’t think of a reason that is commensurate with the cost.

Think of the textbooks we could update or school buildings we could renovate with that money.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:35 am
@hightor,
According to this piece below in the link; the trouble is designing temporary construction and arenas and dormitories is wasteful since when it is finished, there is no more need for it all. One solution is to have a permanent designated host city.

The Monitor
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:56 am
While it seems an off day here, I feel it is ok to ask a frivolous question, sort of. Has anyone else noticed Trump seems to be getting heavier than just a few a months ago? He also seems stressed around the eyes and tired.
farmerman

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You or I find an organization which we feel will best express our views and we contribute. Horrible?
Jack that up notch or two and we have lobbyiests of industries that provide money to candidates with a proviso that

Maybe one day, but perhaps it may never come, I will come to you and ask that you do a small favor for me in return"
-don Corleone
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
So, apparently, we can't rely on our politicians to do what's right and ourselves to be able to pick the ones who just might.

camlok

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So, apparently, we can't rely on our politicians to do what's right and ourselves to be able to pick the ones who just might.

History shows that that has always been the case, Finn.
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:46 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
While it seems an off day here, I feel it is ok to ask a frivolous question, sort of. Has anyone else noticed Trump seems to be getting heavier than just a few a months ago? He also seems stressed around the eyes and tired.

Being the leader of the most evil country in the world takes a huge toll even on a guy who is already deeply evil.
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
They sell tools for murder and want unlimited access to the market... They are your kids' real murderers. And it's all for the money, your children's lives for a dime.

Why do you USGOCT conspiracy theorists get your panties in a bunch over a few American kids here and there, Olivier, but you stay stone cold silent about the millions of children that the US has slaughtered over decades of illegal invasions?

Are dark skinned, "yellow" skinned, ... children somehow less that American children?
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Emotional? Not unless you count furious as emotiu0nal. No...he's not emotional...he just gets pissed that a few dopes think that murder is no more serious than a ******* fender bender.

More knickers getting all twisted up, glitterbag. How come? Why don't you conspiracy theorists [USGOCT] ever seem to care about the millions of children your governments have slaughtered?

Look at how many innocent children have been murdered just since 9/11 when you so easily duped conspiracy theorists bought into the US government official conspiracy theory, the one that has ZERO evidence to support it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:59 pm
Quote:
For one small US non-profit group, the murder of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School came as no surprise.

"We felt like there was a something big potentially coming," said Amy Klinger of the Educators' School Safety Network.

Her organisation tracks media reports on school threats and incidents. It found a 12% increase in threats to schools between the autumn school semesters of 2016 and 2017, and a 59% rise in violent incidents.

But what has alarmed the group is that they have tracked almost 400 cases since the 14 February attack.

The Ohio-based network has seen up to 65 threats to US schools a day, compared with a daily average of 11 before.

"We always know there's an uptick after an event like [Florida's school shooting] - a contagion effect, a copycat effect," Ms Klinger, who has a 28-year career in education, said. "But this is a significant spike."

Ninety minutes after the gunman, alleged to have been Nikolas Cruz, killed students and three teachers in Parkland, Florida, there was a new threat in Brooklyn, New York.

Two 16-year-old boys are alleged to have posted a picture on social media platform Snapchat. One was posing with what looked like an assault rifle, New York police told the BBC.

They had threatened to attack their charter school and captioned the photograph with "Don't come to school tmw", prosecutors said according to local media.

Two days later, a security guard at a California high school overheard a student threatening to "shoot up" his school in the next few weeks after a teacher took away his earphones.

The student said he was joking, according to local media, but after a search of his home, police found two semi-automatic rifles similar to the AR-15 used by the Florida gunman, two handguns and 90 high-capacity magazines.

While not every threat has proved credible, authorities across the country are not taking any chances.

"We cannot afford to not act on any threat," County Sheriff Jim McDonnell told the LA Times. His department has since set up a 24-hour special team to tackle the threats that come in.

Since the Florida shooting, LA school authorities have received 160 calls related to a "possible criminal threat" and police recorded 19 tips about possible threats against local schools, compared with 52 in the whole of 2017.

"You've seen a huge spike in kids being arrested," says Ms Klinger, who suggests this trend will help act as a deterrent against hoaxes as well as serious threats.

"We can't joke about having a bomb in our bag in an airport, and so now we can't say we're going to shoot up our school and say that's a joke - it's not."

She attributes the recent influx in threats and incidents to three elements - the intensity to which Americans are responding to the Florida tragedy, the copycat effect that incites others to commit similar attacks, and social media.

Over half have come via social media and have heightened alarm amongst parents.

A social media post that spread among students and parents on Friday at Bayonne High School in New Jersey led to 500 children being pulled from the school.

Authorities eventually said it was a false alarm based on a threat made to another high school in New Mexico that shared the school's BHS acronym.

In the wake of the Parkland attack, the US's worst school shooting since 2012, debate has been rife on what to do to ensure further attacks on schools are stopped.

Student survivors are calling for tighter gun control while Republicans have put forward the idea of arming teachers.

President Trump tweeted just 10 days after the Florida attack about incentivising educators to carry guns with bonuses and annual training.

Arming teachers would be too expensive and would not make children safer, Ms Klinger said.

"It's just not a good solution. I can't find anyone [in the field of education] who thinks it's a good idea."

The threat of a mass shooting at a school remains high in the minds of Americans, and her network's research on national trends has become increasingly relevant to the national debate.

They began looking at bomb threats in 2014 and the following year set up a database on threats to schools when they found none existed.

But Ms Klinger worries the numbers are significantly under-reported.

"Our concern is that we need to know what some of the trends are predicting right now," she says, "because it's a lot easier for someone to secure a gun than build a bomb."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43190511
camlok

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
sounds like gungasnake

You share a lot of gungasnake's qualities, famerman. I don't know if he is a conspiracy theorist who supports the US government official conspiracy theory, but you sure are.

Imagine, a scientist, supporting a conspiracy theory for which there is no evidence.

How crazy is that?
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Trying to find a politician honest to the degree that they’ll turn money down is almost impossible.

The only hope I have is term limits and reform of how money is used in Washington. Until then, not much hope if substantive improvement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:04 pm
Term limits on members of Congress don't work, especially in the House, because positions on important committees and committee chairmanships are based on seniority. If your state limits the terms of members of Congress, your state stands to lose considerable influence.

Term limits on members of Congress would only be effective if it were enacted by constitutional amendment.
Setanta

Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:12 pm
It would also take constitutional amendment to fix the money problem, ever since our right-wing activist court found against the Federal Election Commission in the Citizens United decision. Right-wingnuts claim it works for unions, too--but corporations outspend unions by orders of magnitude--and ever since King Ronnie Raygun, the conservatives have gleefully engaged in union busting.

http://ohioaflcio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/citizens-united-decision.jpg