monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:44 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
"I would prefer you not use a gif from a show I worked on to promote your pro-slaughter agenda."

I hope the NRA ignores their whiny request.
oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:46 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
More like the difference between a free man and a mercenary. I don't see unlimited access to firearms as the apotheosis of freedom. In fact, I think it barbaric.

Free people have the right to carry guns.

Serfs do not.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:50 am
Are you watching this CPAC speech???
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:53 am
@hightor,
Quote:
But have you tried reading Heidegger?
Yes. I don't want to talk about it.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:57 am
@Lash,
Lord no. I'll catch any significant parts on the internet.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:01 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
One of the reasons the Nazis were able to intimate political opposition was the armed stormtroopers of the SA.
Many of us who have watched the rise of the militia movement and the increasing power/influence of the NRA have understood this whereas not many on the right have. and I think that is because authoritarianism is not well grasped by most in the modern American right.
Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:02 am
Trump did a thumbs up after his comment that Billy Graham will be lying in the capital rotunda. “I bet there will be a big, beautiful line.”

“I’m going off script; this is getting boring.”

The CPAC crowd has been chanting and erupting in raucous applause.

“It’s time to make our schools a harder target.” Ugh.

Concealed carry for teachers.

He just spoke about the sheriff who abandoned the students. Ohmygod. He called his name.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:02 am
@oralloy,
The only one whining is you. I can think of many words to describe you, but man definitely isn't one of them. Men don't insult children who've been through trauma. Men can aren't too scared to walk to the shops without needing a gun.

Free men behave like free men, not subservient spineless lickspittles who say and think what they're told to say and think.

You're a frightened little man, a complete no mark.
Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:04 am
“A teacher would’ve shot the hell out of him before he knew what happened.”

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:08 am
@farmerman,
The 2nd A people are fruitcakes, the lot of them, if they imagine that citizens with guns will do anything significant to protect themselves from a modern state with modern tech and armaments intent on tyranny. It is like they are living in some fantastical Steam Punk/Davy Crockett universe.
Leadfoot

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:08 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
They use em, (kill rats in the barn or going hunting for deer or turkey), but thats not the aspect our 2nd amendment crowd dwells on

It is worth noting that the framers of the Constitution did not include the 2nd A in order to preserve deer, duck or turkey hunting.

I will now bow out of the thread before I get tossed in the bin of the "2nd amendment crowd".
Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:09 am
Good! “We have to strengthen background checks. No mentally ill people with guns.”

He says he knows it will go through.

“The NRA are good people, but...”. This was great to hear.

I really like what he’s saying now. Common sense gun control is the desire of even second amendment proponents.

The NRA will be opposing Trump.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:09 am
@izzythepush,
Sheriff Taylor was a commie.
Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:13 am
@Leadfoot,
I’m a proponent of the second amendment. Don’t be bullied off the thread because you have a different opinion.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:16 am
@Leadfoot,
Too late. I've already mailed you a hat.
izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
@Lash,
It's hard to say what would have happened, a deputy, someone supposedly trained to deal with a situation like that failed to act.

It reminds me of the bravado spouted by kids about how they'd do this that and the other if they were in a similar situation. The truth is none of us know what we'd do until we're there. Most people freeze, that's the normal gut reaction, there's no time to work yourself up into the right frame of mind because all of a sudden you're slap bang in the middle of things.

The shooter has had time to prepare himself, he's not been thrown into it, he's planned it, he's caused it. Truth is the real bravery was shown by unarmed children, not armed adults.

Quote:
A junior cadet who died helping other students escape a Florida school shooting has been posthumously accepted into a prestigious US military school.

Peter Wang, 15, one of 17 killed in the 14 February attack, was admitted to the class of 2025 at his dream school, West Point Academy.

He was a member of the US Army Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC), a school programme for potential US military officers.

His funeral took place on Tuesday.

The school will confer a letter of admission and honorarium tokens to his family, local West Point alumnus Chad Maxey told the Sun Sentinel newspaper.

Florida Governor Rick Scott also reportedly directed the state's National Guard to honour Peter and two other members of the JROTC at their funerals.

The US Army bestowed the Medal of Heroism on three students who were killed, including Peter, according to US media.

The Cadet Command also approved Junior ROTC Heroism Medals for 14-year-old cadets Alaina Petty and Martin Duque, an army spokesman told US media.

Peter was in uniform when he was fatally shot while holding the door for others fleeing a gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, witnesses say.

The recognition comes after an online petition called for him to be laid to rest with military honours, saying he "deserves" to be buried as a hero, because "his selfless and heroic actions have led to the survival of dozens in the area".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43132215
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:20 am
Beth has remarked on this a bit earlier but a bunch of companies have now ended their relationship with the NRA. This time does seem different. It would be wonderful if reason was more often the cause of a social shift like this could be but it looks like it is likely to be some crisis or tragedy.
Leadfoot

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
@blatham,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Too late. I've already mailed you a hat.

Ah shucks, thanks. You and Lash make this place worthwhile.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:25 am
@izzythepush,
I should’ve made myself clear. Those were not my sentiments; they are Trump quotes from the CPAC speech, underway currently. I was relating some of his crazier statements.

The thought of armed teachers is very upsetting to me. School is already a very tense place with classroom discipline, raging hormones, etc. I’m worried that the knowledge that s teacher has a gun in the classroom could actually cause more gun violence in school. I can’t base that on any evidence, but it just feels very wrong to me.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:29 am
Quote:
The current state of the Republican Party is an indication not that conservatives have lost, but that they have won.
Very smart piece from Jon Chait
0 Replies