monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:38 am
Quote:
The president noted that the injuries he saw were more grisly than those portrayed in the movies. “He was definitely horrified by the severity, the savagery of those wounds that the children suffered,” Mr. Rivera recalled. “And he kept saying, ‘How do you recover from that?’ ”
NYT
Two things here: Apparently Trump is not completely devoid of empathy for others and that's a good thing. Secondly, how the **** can someone 70 years old be so stupid.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:40 am
@Lash,
I know they weren't yours, you used inverted commas. You were clear, looks like I wasn't.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:44 am
@Lash,
As someone who's taught I can't see any good coming of having a gun in class, not only is there the temptation to shoot some of the little sods, but there's also the fear that some of the little sods could grab hold of it while you're explaining iambic pentameter.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:44 am
https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_480w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2018/02/23/Local/Images/trumpnotes.jpg?uuid=sIUAVBgPEeiTDEWDitDXeg

"I hear you". Many, seeing this, will immediately think of Palin and the notes written on her hand. But for me what came to mind immediately was something said by a Canadian water ballet contestant. Asked what she was working on before the Olympics, she answered, "I'm working on making my smile more sincere."
Below viewing threshold (view)
camlok

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
As someone who's taught

It couldn't have been English.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:56 am
PS to some earlier discussions on mental illness and guns. The US is not the only nation where technology or trade agreements or changes in the value of resources have made life a more crushing endeavor for large masses of their populations. But is because of the insane quantity of weapons in the US that events such as Florida keep happening whereas everywhere else they are extremely rare. And that's not even to mention the vastly larger number of killings using guns where, again, the US stands alone.
Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
That’s exactly what I’m worried about. No guns in classrooms.

I would’ve never made it through the poetry section.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:59 am
@blatham,
No. It’s largely because of this:

http://www.cchrflorida.org/antidepressants-are-a-prescription-for-mass-shootings/

Before the late nineteen eighties, mass shootings and acts of senseless violence were relatively unheard of. Prozac, the most well known SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressant, was not yet on the market. When Prozac did arrive, it was marketed as a panacea for depression which resulted in huge profits for its manufacturer Eli Lilly. Of course other drug companies had to create their own cash cow and followed suit by marketing their own SSRI antidepressants.

Subsequently, mass shootings and other violent incidents started to be reported. More often than not, the common denominator was that the shooters were on an antidepressant, or withdrawing from one. This is not about an isolated incident or two but numerous shootings. The question is, during the past twenty years is the use of antidepressants here a coincidence or a causation?

There have been too many mass shootings for it just to be a coincidence. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed twelve students and a teacher at Columbine High School. Eric was on Luvox, an antidepressant. The Virginia Tech shooter killed thirty-two people and he was on an antidepressant. While withdrawing from Prozac, Kip Kinkel murdered his mother and stepmother. He then shot twenty-two classmates and killed two. Jason Hoffman wounded five at his high school while he was on Effexor, also an antidepressant. James Holmes opened fire in a Colorado movie theater this past summer and killed twelve people and wounded fifty-eight. He was under the care of a psychiatrist but no information has been released as to what drug he must have been on.

Psychiatrists generally will tell you that these people were mentally ill and they weren’t treated in time or didn’t get enough help to prevent the tragedy. However, Dr. Peter Breggin, who is a psychiatrist, stated that depression rarely leads to violence and that it’s only since the SSRI’s came on the market that such mass shootings have taken place.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 10:59 am
TPM has a piece up now on a GOP move in Arizona to rid themselves of a relatively fair and objective system for drawing electoral maps and replacing it with something they can control for electoral advantage. Link Here

If I'd forgotten to mention it, I really despise these people.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
I think the NRA is only slightly more to blame than big Pharma.

Be sure they know about this connection. Did anyone else here?
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:03 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The NRA will be opposing Trump.

No.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:04 am
@blatham,
Even a stable genius can forget this or that ...
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:04 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
This time does seem different.

You guys started off by pointlessly attacking the NRA the last time too.

It does a great job of getting us riled up and ready to defeat you.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:06 am
@oralloy,
Great! You predict the NRA will support a tighter national registry like Trump vowed to enforce??

What a huge leap forward for the US! 🔥🎉👏🏻🏆💥🌈
farmerman

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:07 am
@Lash,
so youre saying that dropping the CDC charge to compile gun deth stats was more a Pharma thing?? WHich lobby did they funnel the money through. Ill bet you that a significant some of walkin around money went to NRA
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:08 am
@oralloy,
Wipe your chin.
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:09 am
@Lash,
That isn't fair. You may well have sent oralloy into conniptions.
0 Replies