monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:19 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
And what I meant to say was that it would not be surprising....

The left's war on the rights of veterans and postal workers then.

People who can't balance their own checkbooks. People who wear glasses. Who's next?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:26 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The 2nd Amendment is an anachronism.
In an interview with one of the associates of the Oklahoma City bombers, who himself was a pretty radical 2nd A cultist, he was asked why citizens shouldn't be allowed to own small nuclear devices so as to more thoroughly contest potential state tyranny, he responded, "There are crazy people out there".
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
What I find so amusing is the contradiction between those who (apparently) truly believe Trump will usher in a dictatorship and their desire to see gun ownership curtailed or ended altogether.
It's probably valuable to recall that Andrew Breitbart said he was hoping the left would "do something because", he said, "we have the guns". I guess he was worried we were going to make everyone eat arugula.
Quote:
Nevertheless, I am comforted by the fact that many of my very responsible fellow citizens are armed.
It's an unusual notion which the great majority of citizens in the US and particularly in the rest of the advanced world deem exactly backwards. Comfort, we feel, comes with almost nobody anywhere near us who is armed to the teeth with human-killing devices.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Wow! BillW actually has a dictionary.
If you ask him nicely, I'm sure he'd leap at the opportunity to loan it to you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:49 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It's an unusual notion which the great majority of citizens in the US and particularly in the rest of the advanced world deem exactly backwards. Comfort, we feel, comes with almost nobody anywhere near us who is armed to the teeth with human-killing devices.

The difference between a serf and a free man.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:54 am
@revelette1,
The rightwing smears of the students was entirely predictable. It is how the modern right rolls. Still, there are varying degrees of moral repugnance in specific cases of such an attack strategy and this is one of the most repugnant I've seen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:58 am
@blatham,
One of the reasons the Nazis were able to intimate political opposition was the armed stormtroopers of the SA.

Dictatorships and gun ownership go hand in hand. Pretending otherwise is just another example of looking class thinking from the gutless NRA.
izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:03 am
Quote:
The National Rifle Association (NRA) is under fire after tweeting a gif from US TV show Parks and Recreation.

In a post thanking spokeswoman Dana Loesch "for being the voice of over 5 million NRA members", the gun rights advocates included a gif of main character Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler.

The show's co-creator, writer Michael Schur, responded by asking the NRA to remove the post.

His comments have been widely shared.

"Please take this down," Mr Schur wrote.

"I would prefer you not use a gif from a show I worked on to promote your pro-slaughter agenda."

Ms Poehler, who featured in the gif, does not have a Twitter account. But Mr Schur said she had asked him to pass on some choice, sweary remarks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43157663
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:07 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
“I understand that you’re standing up for the NRA … but you just told this group of people that you’re standing up for them,” he said. “You are not standing up for them until you say, ‘I want less weapons.’”

The sheriff’s words were met with cheers and a standing ovation.
I almost stood up myself when I saw that. And isn't she a piece of work.
woiyo

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:09 am
@blatham,
As if the NRA is responsible for passing legislation ! Always looking for a scapegoat, but never addressing the real issue.
farmerman

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:09 am
@blatham,
Im always semi amused t how Finnsy , trying to demo how free we are, ends his communications with veiled threats of what his guns can do to me or you.

Also orals sense of freedom is the freedom to be scared for ones safety for ones life in Yuma Az or Brooklyn NY or Stockton Calif.
I feel most safe around here where most of my neighbors are Amish and dont brandish weapons. They use em, (kill rats in the barn or going hunting for deer or turkey), but thats not the aspect our 2nd amendment crowd dwells on
hightor

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:11 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The difference between a serf and a free man.

More like the difference between a free man and a mercenary. I don't see unlimited access to firearms as the apotheosis of freedom. In fact, I think it barbaric.
blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:13 am
@ehBeth,
Have you not sympathies for the unjustly tormented?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:14 am
Andy Griffith on guns.

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:14 am
@ehBeth,
Growling since I read that one.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:29 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
As if the NRA is responsible for passing legislation ! Always looking for a scapegoat, but never addressing the real issue.

"He had all the Judges and politicians in his pocket..." Godfather.

Never realized how racist parts of Godfather is.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Re: ehBeth (Post 6601240)
Sad to say he was likely a coward. [the Florida sheriff who didn't enter the school] Shouldn't have had the job. Of course, that doesn't mean the job isn't a worthy one.

Was just talking with my twin brother and his wife about this. None of us had any confidence we would have done better than he did.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services informed employees in a letter on Thursday that its mission statement had been revised to “guide us in the years ahead.” Gone was the phrase that described the agency as securing “America’s promise as a nation of immigrants.”
I saw that this morning. Sometimes, one suspects these people read 1984 as a how-to manual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:43 am
@woiyo,
You need to read Oralloy's posts. In this and other threads, he's the one who has been talking about what the NRA will or won't allow in the way of legislation. I guess sarcasm can be too subtle for some who read here.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 23 Feb, 2018 09:43 am
Former Trump aide tells loved ones of plans to plead guilty, cooperate with special counsel
0 Replies