monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Seems like the liberals would get behind something like that then.
I don't know, how and why exactly this is related to "liberals" - but certainly, the past 1848-emigration from the German states to the USA was related to early liberalism, namely the fail of it.

cause 'murica.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:43 pm
@McGentrix,
Since the Constitution has a provision for amending it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with citizens attempting to do so. Whether or not they will be happy with what they accomplish is another matter, but we're entitled to our follies.

What I find so amusing is the contradiction between those who (apparently) truly believe Trump will usher in a dictatorship and their desire to see gun ownership curtailed or ended altogether.

How the hell do they think we are going to have any chance of overthrowing Dictator Trump if we don't have firearms? A whole bunch of candlelight vigils?

These people are living in the Haight-Ashbury of the 60's.

I don't own a gun. I have no desire to hunt and I am relying (perhaps foolishly) on my ability to defend my wife and me with a tomahawk and an 8" bowie knife that I keep under our bed. If I had my way I would have a shotgun, but my wife doesn't want one in the house so when we are slaughtered by an intruder I can't overcome with blades, I'll blame her.

Nevertheless, I am comforted by the fact that many of my very responsible fellow citizens are armed.

It's also amusing that the same people who argue that our chances of being killed by a terrorist make any effort to restrict immigration foolish, argue that our chances of being killed in a mass shooting require the repeal of the 2nd Amendment.

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:44 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The 2nd Amendment is an anachronism.

This is perhaps the most foolish comment you have ever made.

What world do you live in?

It must be one where the notion that "It can never happen here." prevails
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You're humor-challenged Walter.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:47 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Middle-aged white men without college education,

Good Lord but you are a pompous elitist.
ehBeth

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:50 pm
Gates has arrived in court.
ehBeth

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Btw, the Florida children are a bloody inspiration. Such bravery.

they truly are

0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:57 pm
@ehBeth,
more charges against Gates and Manafort filed

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-politics/new-criminal-charges-filed-under-seal-against-manafort-gates/article38050353/

Quote:
New sealed criminal charges have been filed in federal court in the criminal case brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller against President Donald Trump's former senior campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates, a court record seen by Reuters on Wednesday showed.

The single page, filed at the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, does not shed light on the nature of the new charges. Its inclusion in a binder in the court clerk's office that is routinely updated with new criminal charges signals that Mueller's office has filed a superseding indictment replacing a previous one from last year.

Manafort, who was Trump's campaign manager for almost five months in 2016, and Gates, who was deputy campaign manager, were indicted by Mueller's office in October. They face charges including conspiracy to launder money, conspiracy to defraud the United States and failure to file as foreign agents for lobbying work they did on behalf of the pro-Russian Ukrainian Party of Regions. Both have pleaded not guilty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:02 pm
Quote:
It’s inaccurate to say this is a toss-up race, but Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) had better hope there is a DACA resolution before Election Day. “Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke announced he has raised $2.2 million from mostly small donors since the start of the new year. O’Rourke, a member of the U.S. House from El Paso hoping to defeat U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz in November, has now raised more than $8 million for his campaign since March 2017 — the most any Democrat in Texas has raised in a U.S. Senate race in 16 years.”

____

Jennifer Rubin writes the Right Turn blog for The Post, offering reported opinion from a conservative perspective. Follow @JRubinBlogger
hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
This is perhaps the most foolish comment you have ever made.

Really? That might be the most foolish comment you ever made! You just wrote "Since the Constitution has a provision for amending it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with citizens attempting to do so."

Quote:
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

How many contemporary gun owners have anything to do with this "well regulated militia"? And the vulgar libertarian interpretation, that it's there so we can resist government tyranny is contradicted by the "security of a free state" phrase.

McG had the right idea when he simplified to:
Quote:
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I think that's too open-ended though. I think I'd say there's a right to keep and bear arms, but not an unlimited right, and allow for states and localities to set terms based on community standards. We'd need to determine whether this right, no longer connected to any militia, is strictly for self defense, too.

Quote:
How the hell do they think we are going to have any chance of overthrowing Dictator Trump if we don't have firearms? A whole bunch of candlelight vigils?

The ballot box works well.
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
How come so many folks here are such faux liberals?
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Why don't you back the **** off. I specifically used that phrase because I was responding to this statement:
nimh wrote:
...it's middle-aged white men without college education who are dying off in particular high numbers.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-2121#post-6600199

McGentrix

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:14 pm
@hightor,
It was BECAUSE of the militia that the people's rights shall not be infringed. That is why the amendment doesn't say the right of the militia shall not be infringed. People are not the militia and the militia are not the people.

The founders were not fond of the idea of a standing army and they knew that the people of the US should have all the necessary rights to own fire arms. Regardless of whether that was for plinking cans, hunting, or defending themselves.
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Heeelloooo kettle, ... or pot.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:30 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Why don't you back the **** off. I specifically used that phrase because I was responding to this statement:
nimh wrote:
...it's middle-aged white men without college education who are dying off in particular high numbers.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-2121#post-6600199

Perhaps when you do I shall. You have consistently posted comments that reflect a disdain for the great unwashed, including your use of "opioid-eaters" of which you offered a very feeble defense.

You are a perfect example of the high-minded liberal who loves labor but abhors the laborers.

You don't like it...tough ****!
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:36 pm
@hightor,
Your comment was that the 2nd Amendment is an anachronism. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether it can be changed.

You have a different take on the wording than others. That's fine, but it hardly makes yours definitive.

I really couldn't care less why people have firearms, as long as they have them when they are needed.

Yeah the ballot box will overthrow a tyrant. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Verified account

@kpolantz
36m36 minutes ago

SPOTTED: Rick Gates walked into the courthouse at 2:10 pm
-Wouldn't say why he's here
-Walked into the clerk's office to drop off a filing
-Has a 5pm deadline to tell the judge what he’d like to do about his trial attys exit
-Criminal charge filed today in case is still a mystery

Ms. Polantz is a senior writer at CNN

0 Replies

hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Back the **** off.
Quote:
You have consistently posted comments that reflect a disdain for the great unwashed, including your use of "opioid-eaters" of which you offered a very feeble defense.

You may have missed the post where I described my interactions with the opioid-eaters in my community and how I consider myself lucky to have avoided addiction.
Quote:
You are a perfect example of the high-minded liberal who loves labor but abhors the laborers.

You don't know what you're talking about. I'll wager I've spent more time amongst the great unwashed than you have. I have been considered part of that community for most of my working career. I've got nothing against laborers — you know, if they're reliable and don't miss work because they're hungover or strung out.
BillW

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 02:51 pm
@McGentrix,
mi·li·tia
məˈliSHə/Submit
noun
a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities, typically in opposition to a regular army.
all able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service.

The militia of the United States, as defined by the U.S. Congress, has changed over time, complicating its meaning.

During colonial America, all able-bodied men of certain ages were eligible for the militia. Individual towns formed local independent militias for their own defense. The year before the US Constitution was ratified, The Federalist Papers detailed the founders' vision of the militia. The new Constitution empowered Congress to regulate this national military force, leaving significant control in the hands of each state government.
-------------------------
Today, as defined by the Militia Act of 1903, the term "militia" is primarily used to describe two groups within the United States:

Organized militia – consisting of State militia forces; notably, the National Guard and Naval Militia.[9] (Note: the National Guard is not to be confused with the National Guard of the United States.)
Unorganized militia – composing the Reserve Militia: every able-bodied man of at least 17 and under 45 years of age, not a member of the National Guard or Naval Militia.
----------------------
The militia is the people. Guns were needed on the frontier for defense and to provide food.
Below viewing threshold (view)