monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:19 am
@blatham,
Quote:
the AR-15, a weapon of war

Adding a pistol grip to a gun does not make it a weapon of war.
hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:29 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Adding a pistol grip to a gun does not make it a weapon of war.

No one mentioned "adding a pistol grip to a gun" — (as you know) the AR 15 is the civilian version of a weapon that was developed for the military, a "weapon of war". By the way, oralloy, did you read the article? Hyung Jin Moon is bat-**** crazy.
blatham

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:45 am
Only the best people
Quote:
A man previously featured on the home page of a dating site geared toward supporters of President Trump has a 1995 child sex conviction on his record, a report by WRAL found this weekend.

Barrett Riddleberger was convicted of indecent liberties with a minor in 1995, after videotaping himself having sex with a 15-year-old when he was 25. The Greensboro News & Record first reported the conviction in 2014. According to Raleigh, North Carolina NBC-affiliate WRAL, Riddleberger has no serious charges on his record since then.
TP
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:48 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Make sure you tell them that when it's your turn to get shot at randomly.

My freedom and my defense of my freedom are not the cause of any murders.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 06:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
No one mentioned "adding a pistol grip to a gun"

That is incorrect. The entire objection to the AR-15 is centered on the pistol grip.

hightor wrote:
(as you know) the AR 15 is the civilian version of a weapon that was developed for the military, a "weapon of war".

It is notably different from the actual weapon of war.

hightor wrote:
By the way, oralloy, did you read the article?

I read was was quoted on a2k.

hightor wrote:
Hyung Jin Moon is bat-**** crazy.

Perhaps. So what?
blatham

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:00 am
Yeah. Of course.
Quote:
An hour after being defeated by Linda Belcher in a special election in Bullitt County Tuesday night, a spokesman for Rebecca Johnson said she is claiming voter fraud.

"The big story out of Bullitt County appears to be voter fraud," David Adams, Johnson's campaign manager said in a text message.
Link Here
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:14 am
Quote:
TODAY
‏Verified account
@TODAYshow
“I don’t know how Columbine wasn’t enough. I don’t know how Sandy Hook was not enough. I don’t know how the Las Vegas shooting was not enough. I don’t know how the Pulse nightclub was not enough.” –Florida school shooting victim speaks out
revelette1

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:23 am
call it the security camera defense (VOX)
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:32 am
@blatham,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
I'll pay you ten bucks if you agree with me.

OK, you and this thread wore me down.

I knew I shouldn't have started monitoring this thread again.
oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:37 am
@blatham,
Quote:
TODAY
‏Verified account
@TODAYshow
“I don’t know how Columbine wasn’t enough. I don’t know how Sandy Hook was not enough. I don’t know how the Las Vegas shooting was not enough. I don’t know how the Pulse nightclub was not enough.” –Florida school shooting victim speaks out

Freedom Haters never understand why we won't let them violate our rights.

It tends to make them extra whiny.
Setanta

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:38 am
The gun lunatics are pathetic sons-of-bitches.
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:46 am
@Setanta,
The supporters of the US government official 9/11 conspiracy theory are at least the equals of the gun lunatics because denying reality and denying hard science as they do are equally signs of being a raging lunatic.

0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:46 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
hightor wrote:
By the way, oralloy, did you read the article?

I read was was quoted on a2k.

Let's make that: I read what was quoted on a2k.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:47 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I know. It's so horrible that we won't let anyone violate our rights.
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 07:56 am
@oralloy,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
oralloy replied: I know. It's so horrible that we won't let anyone violate our rights.

At least you are honest enough to admit that the gun lunatics are lunatics and pathetic sons of bitches.

That is the only honest thing I have ever seen you write.

That is the only honest admission I have ever seen from you.
oralloy

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:00 am
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
At least you are honest enough to admit that the gun lunatics are lunatics and pathetic sons of bitches.

You don't understand sarcasm?

camlok wrote:
That is the only honest thing I have ever seen you write.
That is the only honest admission I have ever seen from you.

You get honesty from me every single time I post.
nimh

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:06 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I don't think I'm with you on this. I don't see any good reason to presume that there is some change in culture caused by an increase in mental health issues. If that were the case, it would show up across society and would surely have caught the attention of mental health professionals and those responsible for monitoring health issues in the country.

The opioid crisis (and it is a crisis) is understood to be a consequence of increases in use/abuse of prescription pain relievers, heroin and particularly the arrival of fentanyl into the drug scene. If we lowered the legal drinking age to 14, there would be more alcoholism and more deaths but mental illness wouldn't be the cause.

I'm not sure this is just a matter of availability.. There seems to be something simultaneously more specific and broader going on. The opioid crisis is hitting specific demographics especially virulently. Not just in terms of obvious geographies (eg Appalachians); it's middle-aged white men without college education who are dying off in particular high numbers. And that's not isolated. The same goes for rising suicide numbers. And for alcoholism -- down overall, but apparently up for specific demographics.

Just like the crack crisis likely didn't solely appear because of developments in the drug market but also because of specific broader social problems that were especially bad in poor, urban, black neighbourhoods, this crisis also seems reflective of a broader problem; and when suicide, alcoholism and drug addiction come together, mental health would seem a common strand:

Quote:
The Forces Driving Middle-Aged White People's 'Deaths Of Despair'

In 2015, when researchers Anne Case and Angus Deaton discovered that death rates had been rising dramatically since 1999 among middle-aged white Americans, they weren't sure why people were dying younger, reversing decades of longer life expectancy. Now the husband-and-wife economists say they have a better understanding of what's causing these "deaths of despair" by suicide, drugs and alcohol. [...]

Angus Deaton: Mortality rates have been going down forever. There's been a huge increase in life expectancy and reduction in mortality over 100 years or more, and then for all of this to suddenly go into reverse [for whites ages 45 to 54], we thought it must be wrong. We spent weeks checking out numbers because we just couldn't believe that this could have happened [...].

We knew the proximate causes — we know what they were dying from. We knew suicides were going up rapidly, and that overdoses mostly from prescription drugs were going up, and that alcoholic liver disease was going up. The deeper questions were why those were happening — there's obviously some underlying malaise
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:09 am
@oralloy,
You goofed up, oralloy, like you do so often. Yours was a full on admission that gun lunatics are, what else, gun lunatics.

Many of these gun lunatics are also lunatics who support the totally evidence free US government 9/11 fantasy.
camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
You get honesty from me every single time I post.

That is obviously patently false.

You lie about the USGOCT because you deny the stark realities that make that fable what it is, voluminous lies from beginning to end.

US nanothermite in WTC dust, which accounts for the molten/vaporized WTC steel, both of which say, beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were no Arab hijackers. It was a US false flag operation.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:15 am
@oralloy,
You are a despicable inhumane person. You have let your obsession with guns strip your humanity from your person.

These teens have just lived through a harrowing experience and you call them whiny? How dare you?

I hope we have more and more whiny teens brave enough to take on folks such as your self. They have been giving me hope for the future.

Quote:
Behind their anger, Fla. students still teens struggling with trauma

PARKLAND, Fla. — She was tired of catching herself staring blankly at the wall, so Hannah Karcinell sent a group text to her friends: “Hi, I’m thinking of having a thing at my house.” Those friends invited their friends, and now she was waiting for everyone on her back patio, wearing a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School cheerleading tank top. She heard a thud. Her whole body tensed.

“Should I put the food out now?” her mom called from the house. Hannah turned. The sound, she realized, had just been Jodi Karcinell pushing open the back door, which sticks. 

An 18-year-old afraid of loud noises — is that who she is now? Four days had passed since a gunman entered her school with an AR-15 assault-style rifle, since Hannah walked outside for what she thought was a fire drill, since she heard the shots, since she followed an order to run. 

She ran all the way to the Walmart down the road, where she hovered between the bags of ice and buckets of cheese balls, and, for a moment, felt safe. Then she learned the alleged shooter, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, had been in the Walmart then, too.

“Not yet,” she answered her mom about the food. It was the first time since the Valentine’s Day shooting that her classmates were getting together somewhere that wasn’t a vigil, rally or planning meeting for a trip to Tallahassee to take on their legislators. In public, they had presented a united front: angry, motivated, brashly political. Here, she hoped they could be what they really are: kids, who had been through an unbelievable trauma, trying to figure out how they feel.

WP

Your obsessive fetish with guns is of considerably less value that our children's lives and safety.