monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:34 am
@nimh,
Quote:
There seems to be something simultaneously more specific and broader going on. The opioid crisis is hitting specific demographics especially virulently.

Middle-aged white men without college education, the demographic in question, have historically been consumers of alcohol (and cigarettes) and many of them, in my experience, retain the propensity to engage in risky behavior. "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Whatever solace these people pursue in a bottle is achievable to a much higher degree on narcotics, which have been made readily available by the pharmaceutical industry — unlike the shady criminal networks which pumped narcotics into urban neighborhoods for decades.
Jessica Boddy" wrote:
The deeper questions were why those were happening — there's obviously some underlying malaise.

There's an underlying malaise all right — but it's nothing new. Chronic un- or under-employment, broken dreams, deteriorating neighborhoods, and environmental destruction have plagued inner city residents for generations. It's just that it's been democratically extended and introduced to other parts of the country, to other ethnicities, with newer, more powerful, more convenient, more accessible poisons. And at the base of it is the pursuit of corporate profits above all else. I know that sounds crude but it seems to make the most sense. And always has.
Lash

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 08:43 am
Looks like something might actually be done to tighten up gun control.
hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 09:09 am
This article about Adorno's views on pop culture makes me wonder if Trump can be seen as a product of pop culture and the politics of the "guilty pleasure".
Quote:
We are now, on average, working longer, with less security, for less money. The world is riddled with social and political problems that we have no immediately clear way of engaging with or ameliorating. Our limited free time seems better spent instead on relaxing the demands we place on ourselves, and escaping the pressures of the everyday world. While guilty pleasures are imperfect, they afford us a pleasure too often lacking in our busy lives. They supposedly give us more immediate enjoyment than high art, while certainly demanding less time, attention and expense.

I'll paraphrase a few lines from the article:

a. Politics has lost its ability to create integrated, unified wholes. Instead, political events are now being produced that are a loose collection of moments experienced in a rapid and disconnected series.

b. But the curious thing about a guilty pleasure is that it is guilty; populists know that Trump could be better, but resolve to enjoy his presidency anyway.

c. Populist politics is not bad because it provides us with quick and accessible ideological world view in a way that "elitist" political liberalism does not. On the contrary, it is bad because it promises this liberating perspective and fails to deliver it in a genuine way.

d. If populism is stultifying and harmful, but easy to access and enjoy, this is only because it is a mirror image of the harms that "elitist" liberalism has inflicted, and the inequalities that make it possible.

The ever-angry Trumpublicans delight in thinking that they're giving the establishment the finger , not realizing that, like high culture and lowbrow culture, populism and "elitist" liberalism are ‘torn halves of an integral freedom, to which, however, they do not add up’.

Adorno wrote:
The phrase, the world wants to be deceived, has become truer than had ever been intended. People are not only, as the saying goes, falling for the swindle; if it guarantees them even the most fleeting gratification they desire a deception which is nonetheless transparent to them.

hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 09:23 am
@Lash,
Quote:

Which would be great — what I'd really like to see is a serious effort to repeal/rewrite the 2nd Amendment. I don't think I'm too far out of line by pointing out how many lives have been lost since, to pick an arbitrary date, July 18, 1984 when James Huberty massacred 21 people at a McDonald's restaurant. Comprehensive action at the time might have made a huge difference in the number of mass shooting deaths. You know, assuming the GOP wouldn't have repealed the laws at their first opportunity.

camlok

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 09:45 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't think I'm too far out of line by pointing out how many lives have been lost since, to pick an arbitrary date, July 18, 1984 when James Huberty massacred 21 people at a McDonald's restaurant.

Aren't you wildly out of line failing to mention how many lives have been lost, to pick an arbitrary date, 9/11/2001, when the US illegally invaded a host of countries.

These lives matter at least as much as American lives. Do you have any idea of just how callous you all sound, bitchin' and moanin' about this and that?

Really, this sounds like a bunch of death camp guards sitting around complaining that they couldn't get their children into the right school.

War crimes and crimes against humanity are always contemporary, they never go away, no matter how delusional the people who perpetrated them, and those that support them, are.
nimh

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 10:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
There's an underlying malaise all right — but it's nothing new. Chronic un- or under-employment, broken dreams, deteriorating neighborhoods, and environmental destruction have plagued inner city residents for generations. It's just that it's been democratically extended and introduced to other parts of the country, to other ethnicities

Sure. The reason middle-aged white men seem to be taking the degradation of economic opportunities for working class people particularly badly is probably in part because, well, black people, immigrants... they've been more used to it, comparatively. Probably had less illusions about how much of a fair shot they'd get in the first place, relatively speaking...

Could easily put it even more darkly, too: white working class men of a certain generation were never "in charge" -- they were also just working stiffs -- but they might all the more have gleaned a sense of pride and identity from being at least higher up the totem pole than "those other people," the blacks and the foreigners, and that's increasingly gone. They may have "just" been blue-collar workers, but drawn a sense of pride and identity from being the "head" of the family, cost-winners etc., and that's increasingly gone too.

Could go two ways with that, though. See it as a matter of a relatively privileged group (with the emphasis on relative) being taken down a peg; or see this "democratization" of precarity as a further loss to us all.

Have been seeing a lot of the former on Twitter, often from people who are happy to decry the gender and race privilege of those affected but seem oblivious to their own, no smaller, class privilege. It's also a take that both reflects and reinforces people's socialization within the logic of capitalism, pitting people against each other in unending, zero-sum competition.

It's a shame. The racism/etc of those white working class men who felt they were doing OK because at least they were above "those other people" served to divide the people, making it all the easier to pursue those corporate profits you mention. Gleeful responses to them being taken down a peg, having only themselves to blame, etc will work out the same way..

I wonder if there's an equivalent internationally. The erosion or dismantling of welfare state provisions in Europe has made some of the wealthiest populations of the world a little more like everyone else. Evening out the playing ground? But it also makes it that much less likely for populations anywhere to achieve that kind of accomplishments again in the future.
izzythepush

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 11:20 am
@Lash,
Not if Trump has his way, all he's offering is window dressing, trying to appear like he's doing something but he's just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Btw, the Florida children are a bloody inspiration. Such bravery.
hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:00 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
Aren't you wildly out of line failing to mention how many lives have been lost, to pick an arbitrary date, 9/11/2001, when the US illegally invaded a host of countries.

Actually, no. Because the discussion is about the recent school shootings and the national conversation that seems to be emerging around it. And I don't think you can name one country that the USA invaded on the arbitrary date you selected.
Quote:
Do you have any idea of just how callous you all sound, bitchin' and moanin' about this and that?

As a matter of fact, I do. Any objective look at the record will show that humanity has been guilty of enormous brutality toward other humans, against other species, and against nature itself. If I hadn't become so callous I'd never shut up about it.
Quote:
Really, this sounds like a bunch of death camp guards sitting around complaining that they couldn't get their children into the right school.

That analogy is inept...I know you can do better.
Quote:
War crimes and crimes against humanity are always contemporary, they never go away, no matter how delusional the people who perpetrated them, and those that support them, are.

How exactly does a crime from the past remain "contemporary"? Do you mean that the effects reverberate over time, that descendants of victims keep the memory alive, that the criminals are still subject to prosecution? Explain. Preferably in a new thread. On another forum.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:06 pm
Viktor and Amalija Knavs, the parents of the First Lady, very likely relied on a family reunification process that President Trump has derided as "chain migration" and proposed ending in such cases.
Quote:
[...]
Melania Trump’s parents are legal permanent residents, raising questions about whether they relied on ‘chain migration’[/b][/url]The Knavses, formerly of Slovenia, are living in the country on green cards, according to Michael Wildes, a New York-based immigration attorney who represents the first lady and her family.

“I can confirm that Mrs. Trump’s parents are both lawfully admitted to the United States as permanent residents,” he said. “The family, as they are not part of the administration, has asked that their privacy be respected so I will not comment further on this matter.”

The Knavses are now awaiting scheduling for their swearing-in ceremony, according to a person with knowledge of the parents’ immigration filings.

Questions over the Knavses’ immigration status have escalated since Trump campaigned for the White House on a hard-line anti-immigration agenda. Those questions grew sharper last month, when the president proposed ending the decades-long ability of U.S. citizens to sponsor their parents and siblings for legal residency in the United States.

Trump has repeatedly blasted the long-standing policy as “chain migration.” In last month’s State of the Union, the president called that process a threat to Americans’ security and quality of life. Under his plan, he said, only spouses and minor children could be sponsored for legal residency.

But immigration experts said such a path would have been the most likely method his in-laws would have used to obtain residency that permits them to live in the United States.

Matthew Kolken, a partner at a New York immigration law firm, said there are only two substantive ways Trump’s in-laws could gain green cards: by their daughter sponsoring them or by an employer sponsoring them. The latter is unlikely, as it would require a showing that there were no Americans who could do the job for which they were sought.
[...]
WaPo
McGentrix

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:28 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Which would be great — what I'd really like to see is a serious effort to repeal/rewrite the 2nd Amendment. I don't think I'm too far out of line by pointing out how many lives have been lost since, to pick an arbitrary date, July 18, 1984 when James Huberty massacred 21 people at a McDonald's restaurant. Comprehensive action at the time might have made a huge difference in the number of mass shooting deaths. You know, assuming the GOP wouldn't have repealed the laws at their first opportunity.

We should do something about that pesky 4th amendment too. Police can already search your house without a warrant and shoot you if you take too long IDing yourself. May as well rewrite that one.

The first amendment too. Freedom of the press? As if. If they write the wrong thing or support the wrong people, their careers are basically over. People can be arrested for posting opinions on the internet, there is no more freedom of speech or religion anymore either. Lets get rid of that.

We've basically given up the 6th and 8th amendments with Guantanamo and the Patriot act.

However, if we were to re-write the second amendment, might I suggest this: " The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

That would end a lot of the arguing about it.
hightor

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:39 pm
@McGentrix,
The difference is that the provisions of the other amendments you mention only need to be enforced. The 2nd Amendment is an anachronism.
McGentrix

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:42 pm
@hightor,
Nonsense. What do you think is used to enforce the other ones? Strong words?

Fortunately, there are still more voters, at this time, that support gun rights than don't. They may change, it may not.

Gonna be an uncivil war when that happens though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/pXnO5Yk.jpg

Three of Barron Trump's grandparents probably came to America through ‘chain migration’
BillW

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, we all know it doesn't apply to white Europeans Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:27 pm
@hightor,
hightor, the chances of any "Constitutional" issues being resolved in the current political climate is impossible. Changing of laws, small and incremental at best, maybe. If we could get a good mental illness restriction, many of the righties on these threads would lose their guns - hmmm, that works!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Everything has its time.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:29 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
what I'd really like to see is a serious effort to repeal/rewrite the 2nd Amendment

Go for it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Everything has its time.
For some, obviously it still is there.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Seems like the liberals would get behind something like that then.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 21 Feb, 2018 01:33 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Seems like the liberals would get behind something like that then.
I don't know, how and why exactly this is related to "liberals" - but certainly, the past 1848-emigration from the German states to the USA was related to early liberalism, namely the fail of it.