monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:24 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWXiyxxXUAAWAdR.jpg

For the life of me, I can't understand why some think he's a sociopath.
glitterbag

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 12:05 am
@blatham,
Me either, he reminds me of my Uncle Fester who's been in Spring Grove for more years than I've been alive.

Real Music

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 01:02 am
Stephen A. reacts to LeBron James and Kevin Durant
speaking up on Donald Trump | First Take | ESPN

0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 02:53 am

Quote:
Investors in a luxury property development in India are being offered the chance to have "conversation and dinner" with Donald Trump Jr.

The eldest son of the US president is visiting India this week and will promote the Trump Towers development near Delhi.

Critics say the Trump family is cashing in on the president's name.

But Mr Trump Jr has said he has been building relationships in India for years.

The full-page advertisement, which ran as the front cover of several Indian newspapers over the weekend, featured a picture of Mr Trump Jr together with text: "Trump is here. Are you invited?" and "Trump has arrived. Have you?"

Historian and biographer Patrick French was one of those criticising the advert:

The 47-storey towers in Gurgaon, close to the Indian capital, are being developed by the Trump Organisation and local partners.

The Trump Organisation, formerly headed up by President Donald Trump, is an umbrella company for hundreds of investments in businesses including real estate. Donald Jr is now its executive director.

India is the group's biggest property market outside the US, and in 2016 the Trump family earned up to $3m (£2.14m) in royalties from ventures in India, according to a financial disclosure report.

Daniel S Markey, who worked on South Asia policy for the State Department during the George W Bush administration, said he was surprised by the involvement of Mr Trump Jr in an Indian business deal.

"The idea that the president's son would be going and shilling the president's brand at same time Donald Trump is president and is managing strategic and foreign relations with India - that is just bizarre," he told the New York Times.

The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (Crew) - a watchdog group - added the Indian promotion to a list of instances it believes show the Trump name being used for commercial gain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43108549
roger

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 03:29 am
@izzythepush,
Hey, it's never too late for a feller to start working on his retirement plan.
izzythepush

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 03:40 am
@roger,
One hell of a bloody retirement.
0 Replies

maporsche

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:32 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Whether any minds were changed and whether Trump got votes he wouldn't have otherwise remains murky and any "proof" would be mostly anecdotal.

Anyone who says that what the Russians did couldn't have influenced the election simply do not understand how marketing works.

There are billions of dollars spent on marketing and branding every year by companies nationwide.

Someone should tell them that it doesn't work.
Setanta

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:37 am
Added to that, while the Russians might have wanted Plump to win, their primary goal has been to destroy public confidence in institutions, and to interfere in democratic processes in the United States. Anecdotal though it may be, the evidence of that working well is certainly convincing. The Plump administration has joined in to attempt to destroy public confidence in the intelligence gathering community and law enforcement. Putin could never afford to buy assistance like that.
maporsche

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:39 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Mitt is trying to return to politics. Wouldn’t it be nice if Romney’s leftier, more intelligent Republicanism became the new normal for the GOP?

He'd still be WAAAAY to the right of any proposal Bernie would put on the table.

Romney wouldn't vote for any progressive policy you'd like to see implemented.

It would be nice to raise the level of conversation though.
blatham

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:49 am
@glitterbag,
For a while, I thought my ex had a weird kink, calling me "Fester" when we were making love. Then I realized I'd misheard her.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:52 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Putin could never afford to buy assistance like that.
No kidding.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:54 am
@maporsche,
Lash wrote:
Wouldn’t it be nice if Romney’s leftier, more intelligent Republicanism became the new normal for the GOP?
Why would anyone think that the election of one GOP senator who isn't batshit crazy would normalize a party where most of the other senators remain unhinged? And why anyone would characterize Romney as "leftier" — leftier than what? He's the guy who bragged that he was "severely conservative" and certainly isn't known for advocating progressive policies.
maporsche wrote:
It would be nice to raise the level of conversation though.

In order to have a more intelligent Republican-ism we'd have to have more intelligent Republicans. Opioid-eating dimwits circle around Trump like flies are drawn to manure.
maporsche

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 07:59 am
@hightor,
I wonder if the 2016 election was between Clinton & Romney, who would Lash have voted for.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:05 am
@Setanta,
While I had originally believed that the effects of any Russian interference were probably minimal, every new revelation about the scope of the effort raises the likelihood that a significant number of voters may have been influenced by fake news and publication of stolen e-mails. But again, Clinton was really hurt by the Comey announcement in the final stages of the campaign. The Russia effect would be really hard to prove — but we don't have to. We don't have to prove there was an effect we only need to find evidence of Russian intent — and it appears that we have.
Setanta

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:14 am
@hightor,
I agree completely. That election was Clinton's to lose, and lose she did, in grand style. She behaved as though the convention were a coronation, and didn't get off her dead @ss for weeks. Then she squandered her political capital and the serious political capital of Mr. Obama in Florida, a state she could not really hope to win. Had she gone to Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, and more importantly, if she had asked Mr. Obama to go there, she'd be sitting in the oval office today.

The Internet Research Agency in St. Petersburg has been in business since 2013, and has a very wide range of propagandistic goals. One of them is to undermine the faith of Americans in their political, law enforcement and intelligence gathering institutions, and Plump and Company have been busily abetting that since his first days in office. I suspect that foreign intelligence agencies won't tell our boys and girls squat these days. Moral in Central Intelligence, the NSA and the FBI is probably in the toilet.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:14 am
Cruelty redefined for the Trump era
Quote:
“It’s kind of cruel what’s going on right now and the president should put these [Mueller indicted] defendants out of their misery,” said Larry Klayman, a conservative legal activist. “I think he should pardon everybody — and pardon himself.”
Politico

Klayman has been around for a long time. He was a key legal figure in attempts to get Bill Clinton out of office. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Through Judicial Watch, Klayman filed around 18 lawsuits against the Clinton presidential administration, alleging ethical misconduct and criminal activity.

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:35 am
In today's Voices From The Right
Quote:
Trump is ignoring the worst attack on America since 9/11
By Max Boot
WP
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:46 am
@hightor,
I think the massive fight to move the D party left will also see a similar move in the R party.

And some assholes will die soon.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 08:57 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
I never said Russia did not meddle in the election, I said “it may be Russia, or China or another country or group, or it may be a 400 pound genius sitting in bed and playing with his computer.” The Russian “hoax” was that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia - it never did!
4:33 AM - 18 Feb 2018

Yeah, sure Donnie.
Quote:
September 2016: “I don’t think anybody knows it was Russia that broke into the D.N.C.”

October 2016: “Maybe there is no hacking.”

December 2016: “I don’t believe they interfered. That became a laughing point, not a talking point, a laughing point.”

May: “If Russia did anything having to do with our election, I want to know about it.”

July: “Somebody did say if he did do it, you wouldn’t have found out about it.”

November: “Every time he sees me, he says, ‘I didn’t do that.’”
NYT
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 19 Feb, 2018 09:02 am
@hightor,
A girl pulled out her eyeballs a couple of weeks ago—a teenager, sitting on the railroad, feeling the effects of a drug.

There are pockets of abject suicidal hopelessness living amid the ultra-wealthy in the US. Since industrial jobs left and technology boxed out a ‘class’ of people from employment, a new society has developed. They are dying at a pretty high rate. They seem to be selected for extinction. In America.

I’m horrified for them and their children.

I think they voted for Trump out of desperation.
0 Replies