monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 06:53 am
@farmerman,
I don't think I've ever encountered, in any context, someone who lies as much as Trump. Aside from his constant bullying, lying is the strategy he uses most often.

And how notable it is that the singular exception to all the above is Putin. On Russia, Trump is a sheep.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:05 am
Quote:
George W. Bush: ‘Pretty Clear Evidence’ Of Russian Meddling In 2016 Election

Former President George W. Bush said on Thursday that “there’s pretty clear evidence that the Russians meddled” in the 2016 American presidential election, forcefully rebutting fellow Republican Donald Trump’s denials of Moscow trying to affect the vote.

While never mentioning President Trump by name, Bush appeared to be pushing back on Trump’s attempts to have warmer relations with Russia, as well as his comments on immigration.

The White House did not immediately comment on Bush’s remarks.

TPM

Good for you, george w.
revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:11 am
@blatham,
Swampy though it definitely is, I am afraid, drain the swamp might have meant something different to some of Trump voters. In my own county of KY, coal mining issues is a big deal and they blamed Obama for both loss of coal mines and the loss of retirement benefits though the last was the fault of Peabody Coal Company. If they see Trump has nominated a coal industry lobbyist they will see it as draining the swamp of environmentalist who has cost them coal mining jobs.
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:15 am
Guess the tweeter
Quote:
Headed to the Olympics to cheer on #TeamUSA. One reporter trying to distort 18 yr old nonstory to sow seeds of division. We won’t let that happen! #FAKENEWS. Our athletes are the best in the world and we are for ALL of them! #TEAMUSA
9:04 PM - Feb 7, 2018

It's Mike Pence. Or, obviously, mini-Trump. Here's the story of Pence the homophobic dipshit
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:19 am
@revelette1,
Understood. But we also understand how it has come about they think that.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:19 am
I hope the following is a long drawn out plan and not like the last time we struck Assad forces in Syria. That situation needs to end to save innocent lives and so that humanitarian aide can be gotten to those suffering in Syria.

US-led coalition strikes kill pro-regime forces in Syria

Quote:
The US-led coalition fighting ISIS in Syria conducted air and artillery strikes against pro-regime forces in Syria on Wednesday, killing an estimated 100 pro-regime fighters, according to a coalition statement.

The coalition described its action -- which if confirmed could represent the largest number of pro-regime casualties inflicted by the US-led coalition -- as carried out in "self defense."

Syrian state news agency SANA described the action as an "aggression" by the coalition against "popular forces" who were fighting ISIS and the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces. The attack had left "scores of persons dead and others injured" and caused "huge damage" to the area, SANA added.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:21 am
@blatham,
I read about that, I am not sure what Pence expected since he is so anti-gay and thinks gays can be taught not to be gay.
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:41 am
@revelette1,
Never admit error. Never back down. Always, always go on attack. It's a common behavior/strategy of those who are sociopaths of some degree. But what caught my attention was that the content and style of that tweet is an exact duplicate of what Trump does.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
We’re wasting a lot of space due to semantics.

If nothing was wrong with architecture of the NHS, the protest would not have happened.
The protest, as far as I’m aware, doesn’t complain about healthcare workers, but the system’s reliance on politicians to fund it properly—a problem that would be exponentially magnified by the comparative pack of jackals the US calls government. This funding problem is definitely a cause for concern by other countries considering adoption of the NHS style of healthcare delivery. Like mine.

People deserve healthcare. Poor human beings shouldn’t die or hurt because they can’t afford medication, surgery, or care.

I advocate universal healthcare, but I’m increasingly distrustful of the people I’d have to
1. Send a lot more money to, and
2. Trust to spend the money efficiently, prioritizing masses’ health

It’s easier for me to believe in Martians.

The protest did happen. That is my point. There is a problem. Countries and individuals considering - certainly advocating - a similar healthcare delivery system must carefully review the success and failures of current exemplar operating systems.

These are just bare unimpeachable facts.

If you can remove your emotions from this discussion, you’d have to agree.

While I’ve immensely enjoyed your input and suggestions in other conversations, I’m not going to defend who I am, nor will I shy away from discussing topics I find interesting or important. I’m sure you don’t censure yourself out of homage to others’ sensibilities. As with all of us, you are free to reach any conclusion you please and respond accordingly.
revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:32 am
@Lash,
You have a very hard time admitting you phrased the protest in the wrong way. No one is denying there was a protest or that there is not trouble with the funding in the British health care system. The Brits want to keep their health care system and they want it like it set up, they simply want the government to fund it properly so that it can run the way it is supposed to run. The current leadership under May, haven't been funding it properly thus the current problems with their health care system. Put the funding back in, there will be no problems with their health care system. duh
revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:37 am
FBI finds no evidence of altercation in border patrol agent's death(ABC NEWS)
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:42 am
Absolutely excellent and important column from Brian Beutler. Here's just a portion:
Quote:
In 2012, the political scientists Norm Ornstein and Thomas Mann threw in the towel. Their book, It’s Even Worse Than It Looks, laid the blame for the increasing dysfunction of America’s political system at the feet of the Republican Party, which, they admitted, had become “an insurgent outlier—ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.” They rejected, at great professional risk, the Washington catechism that defines centrism as a wandering midpoint between wherever Democrats and Republicans happen to stand at any given moment.

Six years later, the self-styled anti-partisans Jonathan Rauch and Benjamin Wittes, have reluctantly reached the same conclusion.

“The Republican Party, as an institution, has become a danger to the rule of law and the integrity of our democracy,” they argue in The Atlantic. “We’re thus driven to believe that the best hope of defending the country from [Donald] Trump’s Republican enablers, and of saving the Republican Party from itself, is to…vote mindlessly and mechanically against Republicans at every opportunity, until the party either rights itself or implodes (very preferably the former).”

Like Mann and Ornstein before them, Rauch and Wittes have put a finger on the cardinal fact of American politics. Unfortunately their prescription for a voting-booth boycott of Republican politicians is inadequate. There is more to politics than elections and nobody understands this better than the leaders of the Republican Party Rauch and Wittes would like to oust. Defeating Republicans at the polls is, of course, a precondition for ending the country’s slide into right-wing authoritarianism. But Republicans have been defeated before without being chastened. To reverse this alarming antidemocratic trend, the modern-Republican Party’s style of politics must be made anathema. That won’t happen without a large-scale civic censure of political actors and institutions, like the GOP, that reject empiricism and equality, attack mediating arbiters of authority, and embrace propaganda and bad-faith argument as ordinary brickbats of political war.
Crooked
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:46 am
@revelette1,
And Trump will get right on this with a correction. It's just who he is.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:52 am
Today's installment of Voices From The Right (a threaded series of tweets from David Frum:
Quote:
A senior White House aide with a history of domestic violence. Another who was discovered to have an open arrest warrant for a gun crime. At least two others very obviously dealing with substance abuse problems.

Quote:
The most flagrantly & routinely dishonest White House press operation in history. A chief of staff who publicly repudiated the principle of civilian control of the military.

Quote:
An undisclosed foreign agent as National Security Adviser - that adviser credibly implicated in a plot to kidnap a US resident on US soil. Lies, lies, lies on the financial disclosures and security clearance applications of the president’s nepotism appointments to WH staff

Quote:
A White House drug czar who previously worked as the opioid industry’s top apologist in the House of Representatives. A CoS to the drug office who falsified his resume and was fired from his previous job for not showing up

0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:56 am
@revelette1,
I didn’t phrase it wrong; responders who are heavily invested chose to ignore the content of my post—as they do quite often and purposefully.

LOL. It’s so easy to envision you saying duh. You should get the t-shirt..
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:00 am
Recall this photo that gained a lot of attention because it could have oozed out from a Quentin Tarantino movie...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVdzskFUQAEIksG.jpg

Quote:
The New Yorker
‏Verified account
@NewYorker
In this July, 2017, photo:

Corey Lewandowski: Fired, June, 2016
Omarosa Manigault: Fired, December, 2017
Anthony Scaramucci: Fired, July, 2017
Sebastian Gorka: "No longer with the White House," August, 2017
Rob Porter: Resigned, today.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:08 am
Quote:
Jennifer Rubin
‏Verified account
@JRubinBlogger
If Kelly knew about protective order and let Porter stay, he's got to go. WH indulgence for abusive men has gone far enough
blatham

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:19 am
And today's No ****, Sherlock! award to...
Quote:
Dan Pfeiffer
‏verified account
@danpfeiffer
The difference in how the media is treating the relationship between Weinstein and Democrats and Wynn and the Republicans should cause everyone to take a real look in the mirror.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:23 am
@Lash,
Out of morbid curiosity, what would I look like in your vision of me saying 'duh'?
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:26 am
@blatham,
Lord I hope he goes, lately, he has been causing as much problems as Trump. He was the one who egged Trump on with the first immigration meeting in which Trump vulgarly dissed black majority countries.