monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:00 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the world, more than 136 killed in the last 48 hours in Syria by Russian and Syrian forces.
Shouldn't a UN meeting take place to see what can be done stop this killing? Why are people just basically ignoring it?

The world is ignoring it because no one else in the world had been smart enough to come up with a viable solution and they don't know about my solution.

My solution of course is: We should establish an international consensus that no sanctions will be lifted on either Russia or Syria until after the UN Security Council refers all parties in this war to the International Criminal Court.

Liberals are in favor of genocide, so they always downvote proposals like this.
ehBeth

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:16 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
My solution of course is: We should establish an international consensus that no sanctions will be lifted on either Russia or Syria until after the UN Security Council refers all parties in this war to the International Criminal Court.

do you think the US would let this happen?

I think it's not a horrible idea.
blatham

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:17 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
I literally just wrote, in this exchange, that "personally, I don't think the place she's coming from is either far left or right-wing".
Sorry, misread that sentence.
Quote:
If I were to overthink it,
Don't. It won't get you anywhere helpful. I read that sentence without enough care.

I do remember O'Bill. He had an avatar of a guy with a cigar. Great fellow. We always got along so if/when you bump into him again, please tell him I said hi.
Edit: But bringing his unique mix of ideas into this discussion is maybe helpful. There are now a lot of smart Republicans/conservatives who are aghast at what has happened to the GOP and conservatism in the US. I quote them here regularly. Indeed, I quote them far more often than our right wing members do. I surely don't agree with David Frum on a lot of stuff, or with Michael Gerson, or with Bill Kristol, etc. Their attention is presently on the fall of conservatism and on the disastrous influence of right wing media on the party and on civic life. When I come across Lash expressing opinions such as that, rather then "Hillary/DNC, Hillary/DNC, mainstream media and Fox are the same", that could alter my thinking.

Re last graph... a "decade"? Have Lash or yourself message me with links to any post she wrote a decade ago that demonstrates what you suggest. Or anything Sanderish that she wrote before Bernie announced his run. That would encourage me to alter the weight of information I have.

And as to A2K being a non-sensible choice to troll in the manner I suggest, sure. But more sensible, however, in that she was resident here already. An evangelical level of zeal and persistence would be all that's required.

In any case, if I've got this wrong, I'll feel badly and will certainly apologize. But I'm not convinced at this point.

ehBeth

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Re last graph... a "decade"?

she's been here under a series of account names for about 15 years

pretty much the only consistency is a pathological hatred of Hillary Clinton - every other position seems to fall into place in relationship to that.

almost like watching someone run an accounting exam against one point - cash is an asset. everything else has to balance against that one spot.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:34 pm
@oralloy,
It's about a week since #45 declined to pursue sanctions against Russia/Russians.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions-trump/u-s-lawmakers-blast-trump-decision-to-hold-off-on-russia-sanctions-idUSKBN1FJ2N5

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/30/the-trump-administrations-weird-explanation-for-withholding-russia-sanctions

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-russia-sanctions-20180129-story.html

I'd love to see sanctions on Russia and Syria for their behaviour but colour me doubtful of the US allowing the UN to pursue them.

props to France

http://en.rfi.fr/20180123-france-syria-conference/

blatham

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 05:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
she's been here under a series of account names for about 15 years
Yes, I know. I remember her from the beginning and we even talked on the phone one time when I was visiting Dys and Dianne.

You'd have a better picture of her posts and thinking through the years I was gone. Nimh set "decade" as the time frame where change became evident. Likely he was just doing a rough estimate. What would make her case - what would convince me she's legit - are posts written before Bernie announced that match a Sanders type of ideology because that would certainly be a change for her.

In any case, I'm going to drop this until I get a message from someone linking me to such posts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 06:24 pm
@oralloy,
Interesting - your links are to reports a few days before mine.

Which happened?
revelette1

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 06:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
My solution of course is: We should establish an international consensus that no sanctions will be lifted on either Russia or Syria until after the UN Security Council refers all parties in this war to the International Criminal Court

I actually agree, seems like a good idea to me. Doubt Trump would be in favor though.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 06:30 pm
Quote:
Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, says top U.S. official

The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated."

Jeh Johnson, who was DHS secretary during the Russian intrusions, said, "2016 was a wake-up call and now it's incumbent upon states and the Feds to do something about it before our democracy is attacked again."

"We were able to determine that the scanning and probing of voter registration databases was coming from the Russian government."

NBC NEWS
oralloy

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 06:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Which happened?

Both happened. We added sanctions due to the continuing invasion of Ukraine. We didn't add sanctions as a result of the election interference.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 07:40 pm
Quote:

The Sun

HAIR FORCE ONE Donald tRump’s hair secrets revealed in bizarre video as his blonde mop hairstyle is blown apart by winds on tarmac

A video of the US President boarding Air Force One on a windy day left his blonde locks victim to the elements.

By Guy Birchall
7th February 2018, 11:59 amUpdated: 7th February 2018, 6:40 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5520980/donald-trump-hair-video-wind-plane-engine/
jcboy

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 07:45 pm
Bridges crumbling. CDC budget reduced by 80% for research on global pandemic diseases. Education budget reduced.

Poorly funded NASA. Claims that military transgender policies are too costly.
 Secret Service budget decimated.
 Adding 1.5 trillion to the national debt for tax cuts. .And we need a frickin' military parade? 
tRump is ******* mental case!
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 07:52 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
But not individual law-abiding Germans three generations removed or effective and responsible people who happen to work in the State Department today.

Kissinger the war criminal is still alive, as are his war criminal aides, as are US military war criminals.

The war crimes have never stopped. There is Bush/Cheney et al, Obama et al, Bush1 et al, Reagan's war criminals/terrorists, Clinton et al, ... .

Quote:
No, it just illustrates how over-sensitive you are. I never suggested that the scandals ever cease, only that it's unhelpful to make institutions freight the baggage of history when attention should be directed at the crimes being committed today.

War crimes, crimes against humanity and terrorism are not scandals, they are war crimes, crimes against humanity and terrorism.

This illustrates how insensitive you are. The US is the only country to ever be convicted of international terrorism. To your knowledge, are there any of those US terrorists serving time?
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 07:56 pm
@BillW,
A 'man' who needs to go to those nutty lengths just to look like an orangutan and he is the president of the USA. It doesn't get any better than this.

Do you think Trump will popularize the comb all over?

0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 08:07 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Your support for Assad's genocide of the Syrian people is horrific, repugnant, and disgusting.

I didn't say that I support the US propaganda that demonizes any government the USA seeks to overthrow. Whatever Assad has actually done, [which you definitely wouldn't know of given your only source is the always lying USA propaganda mill], it pales compared to what the US has done to myriad peoples across the world.

0 Replies

BillW

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 08:19 pm
@blatham,
https://able2know.org/topic/37002-1
0 Replies