monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
you suffer from the same defect as Finn. You pontificate, but you don't substantiate.
Actually, Finn does provide citations/links sometimes. But george, never. It's assertions all the way down.
Setanta

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:53 am
@blatham,
Well, as for Finn, I've not seen it. My experience of Finn is that if challenged with sources, he usually just takes a powder. He can't very well do that with this thread, though.
georgeob1

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:54 am
@Setanta,
You missed the point . Finn, as I noted, claimed the new program would double state expenditures. You rebutted saying it would not double the budget (which budget you didn't specify). That California has neither the borrowing capacity nor the prospect of collecting the taxes to support a new (say) $100-$200 billion annual program is rather obvious to most state residents (of which I am one). That the Los Angeles Times has a very pronounced political bias is also very well-known, your link notwithstanding.
blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:55 am
@Setanta,
If I had more hair, I would be pulling it out at the sight of so many Republicans/conservatives dropping every shred of honor and dignity in order to defend their tribal affiliation. This is a very frightening point in time.
blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 06:58 am
From our substantial photo library of Very Stable Geniuses At Work

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IuPsB4UBNBo/WnjUwHswyXI/AAAAAAAA4K4/GxaVwuHvwGw4qTbj75vcMXry9TjYEWOygCLcBGAs/s640/GettyImages-4882263222029524453.jpg
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:00 am
Quote:
Friday saw the release of the infamous “Nunes” memo, which detailed how the FBI used opposition research funded by Democrats to get a FISA warrant on former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. Still, contrary to what that document said, the feds apparently told judges about the political background. Rep. Devin Nunes (R-California 22nd District), chairman of the House intel committee, said as much in an interview Monday, but he downplayed the significance of this “footnote.”

Law & Crime

Quote:
The House intel committee voted Monday to release a competing memo by Democrats. That will now be sent to the White House for approval. The FBI said the Nunes memo omitted facts, but the agency’s statement, obtained by Law&Crime, did not elaborate on what those missing facts were.

From the same above source.

I wonder if Trump will allow the release of the democrat memo and if not what his excuse could possibly be?
Setanta

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:01 am
@georgeob1,
No, I ignored that attempt at making a point. Only the high end estimate involved a doubling of the state expenditure--which you would have known if you had read the cited and linked article. Furthermore, as I pointed out, and am now pointing out for the third time, on the same day that Brown approved the budget in June, 2017, the Speaker of the Assembly tabled the proposal indefinitely, so the alleged point is moot. As for the Times, they cite their sources, too, when necessary. You would have known that had you actually read the cited and linked article.

Thinking clearly is hard, O'Brian.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
Did I launch my attack in invisible ink?

I don't see it.

You don't either.
maporsche

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:24 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Did I launch my attack in invisible ink?

I don't see it.

You don't either.

Why do you support UHC, in your own words?
How would you try to convince george, Finn, orallay, layman that UHC is preferable to what the US has now?
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:24 am
@blatham,
What'd I tell you....

Obama done it!
blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:25 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I wonder if Trump will allow the release of the democrat memo and if not what his excuse could possibly be?
I'm not sure. On the one hand, there will be big pressure on him (and on all Republicans in Congress) for Trump to release it because of "optics". The perception that he's involved in a cover-up will be impossible to credibly deny.

But on the other hand, what credibility do they still have? Paul Ryan has accepted the role of being Trump's bitch and he's only one of many taking the same role. Obviously they believe that they are getting enough in return (much of which is being effectively hidden beneath the noise and bluster, the lies and provocations of Trump's words.

And it is becoming increasingly obvious (to anyone with a functioning brain stem) that Trump's obsession with and efforts to end the investigation of him makes it more than compelling to presume crimes and discreditable acts he definitely does not want to see the light of day.

His decision will be based on his notions of how his personal interests are best served and which option it is deemed most likely to support his moves to end the investigation.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:27 am
@hightor,
The easiest lie to forward. It will take some work to involve Hillary in this nefariousness but I bet they'll manage.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:30 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It is comical that you call that protest in support of NHS.

That's some tortured bias; a great example of the type of bias that we find in our MSM.

No, it was not in support of the NHS. It was a demand/plea to improve a system that no longer works for the people. "More beds" means they can't get in to hospitals or get pushed out before they've properly recuperated. "More doctors" means they have to wait too long to be seen when they're sick, risking unnecessarily stronger illnesses due to neglect.

"Saving money costs lives" means people are dying because of the inability to receive care.

The protest was not celebrating these facts.
blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:33 am
Definitely today's Must Read
Quote:
‘The Memo’ Follows the Republican Plan to Destroy Neutral Authority

...Cultivating distrust in institutions that are designed to play a neutral, mediating role is one of the central functions of conservative politics. It is a game that conservatives know how to win, because they are waging asymmetric warfare. There is no good way for an institution to withstand partisan attack when its existence relies upon maintaining some distance from partisanship.
Jon Chait
izzythepush

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:42 am
@Lash,
I don't need to be reminded of what you said.

Quote:
No, it was not in support of the NHS.

This is a lie. Pure and simple.

Quote:
It was a demand/plea to improve a system that no longer works for the people.

This is another lie. The NHS still works for the people, and I'm talking from personal experience here. My father is currently being treated by the NHS. The system is under pressure, people are waiting longer than they should, and it's not always easy to get through on the phone, but it's still working, and the treatment people receive is still first class.

Now we can keep going around in circles or you can admit that you lied about the protesters marching in support of the NHS. In any event I'm not going to waste any more time on this issue.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Feb, 2018 07:48 am
Quote:
Think Republicans Went Bonkers Over the Nunes Memo? Just Wait.

...For weeks, Republicans have been saying the memo, written by Republican staffers on the House Intelligence Committee on behalf of Representative Devin Nunes, would blow the lid off FBI corruption so awful, so horrifying, and so gruesome that those who viewed the document might just bleed from their eyeballs or burst into flame. Before it was released, Republican members of Congress who had read it described its contents as "worse than Watergate" (Representative Steve King) and "jaw-dropping"(Representative Matt Gaetz). Representative Mark Meadows, the head of the Freedom Caucus, was driven to terrible depths of despair by the memo: "Part of me wishes that I didn't read it because I don't want to believe that those kinds of things could be happening in this country that I call home and love so much." Sean Hannity, who is reportedly advising Trump regularly on this and other issues, told his viewers it constitutes "the biggest political scandal in American history."

And then it was ... really not much of anything. The worst allegation the memo contained was that when the FBI got a FISA warrant to spy on occasional Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, it relied in part on information contained in a dossier assembled by a British ex-spy hired by a research firm hired by the law firm representing Hillary Clinton's campaign.

That's it.
Prospect
0 Replies