monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 01:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

So you are now on Kuno Fischer? Quite a good knowledge about German philosophers!

Kuno aint nobody. He's just another chump that Headroom played, that' all, eh? He was just another run-of-the-mill sophist who was tryin to claim that he wasn't no sophist, but that other pervs, like Max, were, ya know?
layman

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 01:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Remember the tale of the old-ass greek sophist (maybe it was Protagoras, I forget, now, but that aint important nohow), who took on a student who didn't have no money on his ass at the time?

Protagoras cut him a deal--he wouldn't have to pay until he won his first legal case. So, then, after he done got schooled by Protagoras, the lazy ass wouldn't even take on no legal cases.

So of course Tag sued his sorry ass for the cash.

He told the judge: I can't lose this case. If you decide in my favor that he has effectively breached his contract, then he must pay me by judgment of this court. On the other hand, if I lose, then, by virtue of the contract his payment is due, because he won his first case.

Thought he had it all sewed up. But he done went and learned the boy too good.

The Student said: I can't lose this case. If you rule against me, then I aint won my first case yet. On the other had, if you rule in my favor, then I aint gotta pay, by order of the court, see?

That's just the way them damn sophists are, ya know? Max knowed how to play them.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 02:09 am
@layman,
Well, I only thought such because his quoted critics (you falsely claimed Spitzer for it) about Spitzner's book.

I'm not sure, if Fischer was a nobody - at least, many still today rely on him as a historian of philosophy and a critic.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 02:12 am
@layman,
So, anyway, what's the moral of all this Max Headroom talk, eh?

It' purty simple, actually: Commies like Marx and his fellow travelers aint nuthin but a buncha chumps, that's what.

Some cheese-eaters round these here parts still aint learned that.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 05:35 am
Chalk one up to the little guys.

Quote:
Alleged computer hacker Lauri Love has won his High Court appeal against his extradition to the US.

Mr Love, 32, from Stradishall, Suffolk, who was first arrested in October 2013, is suspected of hacking into FBI, US Central Bank and Nasa systems.

Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett and Mr Justice Ouseley said they permitted Mr Love's appeal against his extradition.

However, they said it would "not be oppressive" to "prosecute Mr Love in England for the offences".

Emma Norton, head of legal casework for Liberty, welcomed the decision.

"We are delighted that the court has today recognised Lauri's vulnerability, close family connections to the UK and the potentially catastrophic consequences of extraditing him," she said.

"This was always a case that could have been prosecuted here and it's shameful that Lauri and his family have been put through this terrible ordeal."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42946540
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 05:46 am
Quote:
A neo-Nazi Holocaust denier is set to become the Republican nominee for a congressional seat in Illinois, the Chicago Sun-Times reported on Sunday. The prospective candidate, Art Jones, is not a steadfast supporter of the Republican president. Ten months ago, in remarks filmed at a neo-Nazi retreat in Kentucky, he ranted about how Donald Trump had “surrounded himself with hordes of Jews including a Jew in his own family, that punk named Jared Kushner”.

“I’m sorry I voted for the son of a bitch, pardon my English,” Jones said, to applause. “I really am. I’m sorry I paid $180 out of my own pocket for three big banners that said ‘President Trump, build the wall’.”

He added: “The man has betrayed us!”

Nonetheless, Jones is now the sole Republican candidate for the third congressional district of Illinois, which includes part of Chicago and is so heavily Democratic that no other GOP candidates decided to run.

In 2016 Jones was taken off the ballot in the same district, after none of the voter signatures he needed to qualify were found to be valid, the Chicago Tribune reported.

This year, the Sun-Times reported, a lawyer for the Republican party examined Jones’ collected signatures. They appeared to be valid.

For more than 40 years, Jones has attempted to win elected office in Wisconsin and Illinois. In 1976, he received 4,765 votes in the Milwaukee mayoral election, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported.

Jones’s Nazi costume and celebrations of Hitler’s birthday, his protest against a local Holocaust museum and his presence at neo-Nazi and white supremacist events have long been documented. The Anti-Defamation League calls him “a long-time neo-Nazi”.

Jones also attempted to run for Congress in the third Illinois district in 1998. Party leaders told the Chicago Tribune then they were concerned he might win the nomination.

“If he were nominated, it would be a national embarrassment for Republicans in Cook County,” county GOP chairman Herb Schumann said at the time.

On Sunday, a spokesman for the Illinois Republican party did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The chairman of the state party, Timothy Schneider, issued a statement to the Sun-Times in which he said: “We strongly oppose [Jones’] racist views and his candidacy for any public office.”

Schneider added: “The Illinois Republican party and our country have no place for Nazis.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/04/neo-nazi-holocaust-denier-art-jones-illinois-republicans
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 05:51 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The idea of America defending itself horrifies the far left.
Maybe, maybe not. But in any case, Democratic senators are not the "far left".
MontereyJack

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 06:43 am
@oralloy,
nonsense.
izzythepush

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:17 am
Rachel Parris on the Trump Morgan interview. (Very funny.)

0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:25 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you really believe that Bill Clinton met Loretta Lynch by accident at the Phoenix airport tarmac ( as they alleged) , or that they chatted for 45 minutes "about the grandkids"?
I gather this is one of those rare situations where individuals' intentions are discernible.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:46 am
Quote:
MILAN (AP) — A right-wing extremist suspected of shooting six Africans in central Italy was “lucid and determined, aware of what he had done” and exhibited no remorse, an Italian law enforcement official said Sunday.Luca Traini, 28, remained jailed as police investigated him on multiple counts of attempted murder with the aggravating circumstance of “racial hatred” for the Saturday attacks in the Italian city of Macerata.
The five men and one woman wounded in the two-hour drive-by shooting spree are from Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Mali, according to RAI state television.

Italian authorities said they seized Adolf Hitler’s “Mein Kampf,” other publications linked to Nazism and a flag with a Celtic cross, a symbol commonly used by white supremacists, from Traini’s home Sunday.
TPM Trump will be tweeting the hell out of this carnage so I thought I'd beat him to the punch as a demonstration of how in tune I am with the genius's mind.
revelette1

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:50 am
New Immigration Bill Would Omit Trump's More Contentious Proposals

Quote:
WASHINGTON—A bipartisan pair of senators said they would introduce a new immigration bill Monday in a fresh effort to move negotiations toward a narrow agreement that leaves out more contentious proposals sought by President Donald Trump.

The government’s current funding expires at 12:01 a.m. Friday. While lawmakers expect to pass another short-term spending bill to keep federal agencies open, they are increasingly frustrated by the gridlock that has prevented them from striking a long-term deal on either immigration or spending levels. Immigration has become entangled in the spending negotiations ever since Mr. Trump last year ended an Obama-era program that protects young people who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R., Ariz.) and Sen. Chris Coons (D., Del.) plan to unveil a proposal that offers a path to citizenship for young undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children and orders a comprehensive study to determine what border-security measures are needed. But the bill stops well short of almost all of Mr. Trump’s demands—including immediate funding for the wall along the southern border—and is likely to meet a chilly reception from conservative Republicans.

WSJ
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 07:56 am
@blatham,
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/hhNxxp7l.jpg

Actually, it was a demonstration supporting the NHS.
Thousands marched in London on Saturday, under the title "NHS in crisis: Fix it now". Placards carried by protesters carried messages such as "more staff, more beds, more funds" and "Saving lives costs money, saving money costs lives".
The protesters chanted: "Keep your hands off our NHS."

Did no-one tell him about it?

Oops, yes, it had been done: after his tweet about healthcare, Trump praised Fox News as usually for informing him
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/Ko3VXI2l.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm sure, the other tweet will be mentioned. (Schiff and senior Obama intelligence figures are 'liars and leakers'.)
revelette1

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:15 am
I am pretty sure the following was left a few days ago, or something very similar. However, I was in Vox and I was very much struck the following couple of paragraphs, the whole piece is well worth the time read and comprehend.

Quote:
“2017 was the best year for conservatives in the 30 years that I’ve been here,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said this week. “The best year on all fronts. And a lot of people were shocked because we didn’t know what we were getting with Donald Trump.”

The best year on all fronts. Think about that for a moment. If you want to know why congressional Republicans are opening an assault on the FBI in order to protect Trump, it can be found in that comment. This was a year in which Trump undermined the press, fired the director of the FBI, cozied up to Russia, baselessly alleged he was wiretapped, threatened to jail his political opponents, publicly humiliated his attorney general for recusing himself from an investigation, repeatedly claimed massive voter fraud against him, appointed a raft of unqualified and occasionally ridiculous candidates to key positions, mishandled the aftermath of the Puerto Rico hurricane, and threatened to use antitrust and libel laws against his enemies.

And yet McConnell surveyed the tax cuts he passed and the regulations he repealed and called this not a mixed year for his political movement, not a good year for his political movement, but the best year he’d ever seen.

Vox

I am seriously considering getting this book: 'How Democracies Die.' It not necessarily a book about Trump but more about how Trump is a symptom not the cause of the current troubles of American democracy.
blatham

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I suppose we know two things now.

First, Trump is a truth-teller. He cares about honesty It is, to him, an issue of character and integrity. He has lived his entire life in a continuing pursuit of this virtue.

Second, we know that if Trump were to suddenly change and move in the direction of deceit and rejected scruples, his supporters would in turn reject him. Because of their scruples. This is what character is all about. It's what integrity is all about.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
I'm sure, the other tweet will be mentioned. (Schiff and senior Obama intelligence figures are 'liars and leakers'.)
Another example of his veracity following right on the heels of the last.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:27 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Trump is a symptom not the cause of the current troubles of American democracy.
Oh, yes.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 5 Feb, 2018 08:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It is comical that you call that protest in support of NHS.

That's some tortured bias; a great example of the type of bias that we find in our MSM.

No, it was not in support of the NHS. It was a demand/plea to improve a system that no longer works for the people. "More beds" means they can't get in to hospitals or get pushed out before they've properly recuperated. "More doctors" means they have to wait too long to be seen when they're sick, risking unnecessarily stronger illnesses due to neglect.

"Saving money costs lives" means people are dying because of the inability to receive care.

The protest was not celebrating these facts.