monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 07:54 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
If you’re a high-ranking law enforcement official in the Trump administration, there’s probably going to come a time when the president of the United States will make it clear to you that your loyalty should be not to the duties of your job, not even to the Constitution, but to him personally.

The Constitution places absolute authority over the executive branch in the hands of the President.

This means the job of executive branch officers is to do whatever the President orders them to do.

It also means that the President has unlimited power to fire any executive branch official that he wants to fire, if he feels like doing so for any reason.

And it means that silly legislative attempts to protect Mueller are doomed to being struck down in the courts.
0 Replies

Brand X

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 07:58 am
@revelette1,
Just because you stopped watching doesn't make what she did irrelevant.

She was protecting the 'Me too' movement because Wolff exaggerated the story he wrote about Haley. Furthermore I've heard her and Joe slam Trump many times. So I don't know what you're on about there.
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 08:04 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein visited the White House in December seeking President Donald Trump’s help. The top Justice Department official in the Russia investigation wanted Trump’s support in fighting off document demands from House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes.
WP

I'll bet he did! The chump. Trump aint gunna help him suppress the truth. What was he thinkin?

After a year of stonewalling and refusing to produce relevant documents, and after ultimately being on the verge of being cited for contemptof congress, the FBI, as a last resort, seeks presidential intervention. Sorry, Trump doesn't care to get involved in plots to obstruct justice.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 08:31 am
@Brand X,
Yeah, they slam him now, when he is unpopular, however in the campaign they couldn't say enough complimentary things about him. In my book, that makes them part of the problem of Trump getting credence rather than just noise and someone for the fringes to go on about. Got on my nerves.

I read the book, but I read it really fast and I don't remember anything noteworthy said about Haley in the book. I would have re-read it again, slower this time. Or perhaps you could just tell me what it is about? (I would still re-read the book, but for the purpose of this conversation...)
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:03 am
@layman,
Well, the media on TV, I don't pay attention to. So I guess I miss some of these things. If I don't watch MSNBC on regular basis, I sure ain't going to go to fox for any information.

Anyway, thank goodness for the search engine in e-readers. I looked up Haley. I just don't see where any insinuation was made about any affair was made. What I saw was a power struggle between the Bannon Camp and Ivanka and Jared Kushner camp. At one time they all thought Tillerson was going to go and Haley was going to replace him as secretary of State and Dina Powell would replace Haley at the UN. Haley spent a lot of private time with Trump but that was because of the power struggle. Haley was more of a Ivanka or moderate republican and Trump was trying to get her to turn into his 'Trumpism' so to speak. Wolffe talked about how much smarter Haley was than Trump and how ambitious.

In other words I think the whole issue is a product of people wanting to make Wolffe seem like he was hinting of an affair with Trump when I don't think he was.
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:04 am
@layman,
It aint hard to tell a tale to kids, just makin up **** as ya go, that will entertain them, ya know?

Just throw is some key elements that kids love, like magic (good fairies, beanstalks, etc.) evil villains (pirates, hag-ass witches, wolfs, etc.), innocent victims (kids), and **** like that, and it's pretty much a done deal, eh?

They'll LOVE it! Kinda like Trump haters with Wolffe, ya know?
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I just don't see where any insinuation was made about any affair was made. mpism' so to speak. Wolffe talked about how much smarter Haley was than Trump and how ambitious.

In other words I think the whole issue is a product of people wanting to make Wolffe seem like he was hinting of an affair with Trump when I don't think he was.

"Make Wolffe seem like?" No "insinuation was made about any affair?"

Quote:
Wolff said he was “absolutely sure” that President Trump was currently having an extramarital affair and teased that his book reveals the mistress if you “read between the lines.”

Since you know all about the book, who is it? It's there, Wolffe says. Oh, wait, I forgot. You don't never read so damn good, eh?
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:31 am
@layman,
Of course, the tale always has to have a happy ending, too.

Like the tale of Cinderella, ya know? Remember that one?

She was told that if she wasn't home by midnight, her vagina would be turned into a pumpkin, ya know?

When she finally straggled in, hair all tangled, and ****, at 5:00 A.M., her stepmother demanded to know where she'd been. She said: "I've been out with Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater."

All's well that ends well, as they say, eh?
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:33 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/552080/

Michael Wolff and the Smearing of Nikki Haley

It’s an age-old story, and a uniquely tiresome one: a woman’s reputation, sold out to sell stuff.

MEGAN GARBER
FEB 1, 2018 POLITICS

“She had become a particular focus of Trump’s attention, and he of hers. … The president had been spending a notable amount of private time with Haley on Air Force One, and was seen to be grooming her for a national political future.”

That was the writer Michael Wolff, in his dubiously sourced but indubitably bestselling book Fire and Fury, commenting on the working relationship between the United States’s president, Donald Trump, and its ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley. In the book, which has been described by reviewers perhaps most often as “explosive” and next-most-often as “questionably true,” Wolff further claimed that loyalists to Steve Bannon, the former White House strategist, feared “Haley’s hold on the president”—and that the UN ambassador, should Trump fail to win another term in office, had fed her own presidential ambitions with the idea “that she, with requisite submission, could be his heir apparent.”

With requisite submission: It’s one of those throwaway phrases that may well, in retrospect, prove distinctly revealing. During an appearance on HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher last week, part of the publicity tour for a book that hardly needs it, Wolff claimed to be in possession of information that was “incendiary”—indeed, so incendiary that he could not, in good conscience, publish it in the book itself. Donald Trump, Wolff claimed, is (currently) having an affair. Of this, the author elaborated, he was “absolutely sure”—but he lacked, he admitted, the smoking gun (or, in this case, he joked, the “blue dress”) that would prove it beyond a doubt. And, so, Wolff would not, in the name of responsible journalism, name names. What he would do, however, was give the viewers of Real Time—and by extension anyone armed with curiosity, savvy, and ostensibly a $17.99 copy of Fire and Fury—a clue so they could figure out for themselves the identity of the president’s alleged paramour. All they’d need to do was … give a close reading to a passage toward the end of Wolff’s book.

“Now that I’ve told you,” Wolff said, “when you hit that paragraph, you’re gonna say, ‘Bingo.’”

And, so—whirligigs whirl with a lulling efficiency—America’s amateur private eyes were soon publicly congratulating themselves on having solved the riddle Wolff had laid out for them: She had become a particular focus of Trump’s attention, and he of hers. A notable amount of private time with Haley on Air Force One. Grooming her for a national political future. It was Haley. It had to be. Bingo.

By the end of last week—whirl, whirl, whirl—Wolff’s outsourced insinuation had, predictably, shed the coy caveats that had kept it from being published in the first place to expand, instead, into that most ancient form of the alternative fact: gossip. The kind of information that is not proven true, but—this is its unique cruelty, and its unique appeal—always could be. The rumors (Haley! Trump! Air Force One!) spread, indeed, with their own such fire and fury that, late last week, Haley herself was compelled to address them head-on—via an interview she gave to Politico’s Women Rule podcast. In the conversation, Haley denied the pseudo-allegations. Vehemently. Unequivocally. “It is absolutely not true,” she said. Haley called Wolff’s rumor-retailing “highly offensive.” And “disgusting
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
“It is absolutely not true,” she said. Haley called Wolff’s rumor-retailing “highly offensive.” And “disgusting."

The more offensive, the more disgusting, the more false, the more better, eh!? For book sales, that is. Enquiring minds want to know.
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:43 am
@layman,
I remember readin a news story in the Enquirer once about how a 6 year old Mexican girl gave birth to a litter of german shepard puppies after hangin out with the family dog a little too much, eh?

And it was true! They proved it: They showed pictures of both the girl and the puppies.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
@layman,
I read it, but I didn't get that impression, if he was hinting at it, I missed it.

Do you have a link with legible words (If it's youtube) where he said Trump was having an affair with Haley and he was hinting at it?

I am trying to find a transcript to the HBO with Maher, (I hate that show so I don't watch it) but I am not having much luck. Plenty of right wing links of Wolf quotes of him saying, but not the direct words from Wolf.

layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:07 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I read it, but I didn't get that impression, if he was hinting at it, I missed it.

Do you have a link with legible words (If it's youtube) where he said Trump was having an affair with Haley and he was hinting at it?

Read much? It was all just posted by Lash: https://able2know.org/topic/355218-2036#post-6589206
revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:16 am
@layman,
I haven't followed the issue.
layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:18 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I haven't followed the issue.

Yeah, we see that. And we see you haven't followed this thread at all either. But, as always, that doesn't stop you from saying that Wolff never made any such insinuation, eh?

A suggestion: It's always better to try to learn the facts BEFORE you undertake to tell everyone what the "facts" are, not after.
revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:28 am
I don't know why I try to search on Bing, I guess it is so handy being right on my task bar. But google is so much easier, better, and faster.

He could have been referring to Haley or Hicks.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:33 am
@layman,
He actually never said it on HBO, the caption shows up pretty good, he said, you will know and its at the end of the book. He goes on a lot about Hicks too in the book; in fact more so.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:34 am
@Lash,
Quote:
"She had become a particular focus of Trump’s attention, and he of hers. … The president had been spending a notable amount of private time with Haley on Air Force One, and was seen to be grooming her for a national political future.”

Wolff further claimed that loyalists to Steve Bannon, the former White House strategist, feared “Haley’s hold on the president”—and that the UN ambassador, should Trump fail to win another term in office, had fed her own presidential ambitions with the idea “that she, with requisite submission, could be his heir apparent.”

With requisite submission: It’s one of those throwaway phrases that may well, in retrospect, prove distinctly revealing....Wolff claimed to be in possession of information that was “incendiary”—indeed, so incendiary that he could not, in good conscience, publish it in the book itself.

Donald Trump,
Wolff claimed, is (currently) having an affair. Of this, the author elaborated, he was “absolutely sure”—but he lacked, he admitted, the smoking gun (or, in this case, he joked, the “blue dress”) that would prove it beyond a doubt. And, so, Wolff would not, in the name of responsible journalism, name names. What he would do, however, was give the viewers of Real Time—and by extension anyone armed with curiosity, savvy, and ostensibly a $17.99 copy of Fire and Fury—a clue so they could figure out for themselves the identity of the president’s alleged paramour. All they’d need to do was … give a close reading to a passage toward the end of Wolff’s book.

“Now that I’ve told you,” Wolff said, “when you hit that paragraph, you’re gonna say, ‘Bingo.’”

. A notable amount of private time with Haley on Air Force One. Grooming her for a national political future. It was Haley. It had to be. Bingo.

Book sales had slowed down, so to pump things up again, he had to reveal what he had previously refused to reveal "in the name of responsible journalism." His first insinuation was a little too subtle, so he had to "connect the dots" for everyone.

Give the guy credit, eh? He knows how to play a chump, sho nuff.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:43 am
Well personally I think it is much ado about nothing, he never really names any name, it could have been either one.

Moving on.

I hope republicans with a straight face do not talk about classified information being leaked anymore. Well sort of, they have taken a leaf from the Russians, taking documents and editing it for propaganda purposes.

Controversial GOP memo criticizing FBI surveillance is released (WP)

Eat up Lash and layman, just the type of garbage ya'll like to eat.