Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I meant here. Hadn’t run across it yet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:46 am
Scott Pruitt, the E.P.A. Chief, Assailed Trump in a 2016 Interview
Quote:
WASHINGTON — A year before President Trump named Scott Pruitt to head the Environmental Protection Agency, where he quickly became a presidential favorite by gutting pollution rules and slashing staff, Mr. Pruitt, the former Oklahoma attorney general, assailed Mr. Trump on a talk radio show, saying he would be “abusive to the Constitution.”

In February 2016, speaking on the Pat Campbell Show, a news show broadcast out of Tulsa, Mr. Pruitt was asked if he was a Trump supporter. Mr. Pruitt responded, “No. No, He’s the very ... and you say that Pat but do you know what’s interesting? I believe that Donald Trump in the White House would be more abusive to the Constitution than Barack Obama — and that’s saying a lot.”

“I really believe he would use a blunt instrument. This president at least tries to nuance his unlawfulness,” Mr. Pruitt said. “Donald Trump has said many, many times they want ... I’ll do this I’ll do that. And those things that he’s mentioned cannot be done. I think executive orders with Donald Trump would be a very blunt instrument with respect to the Constitution.”
... ... ...
Lash

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:46 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Pretty much Johnson and Kennedy. I definitely understand the mass vote for Johnson, but when you look at continuing disparities for black Americans, you have to wonder if they feel their long-term allegiance is misguided.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/476190/

I’ll amend to specify that I definitely understand black Americans being attracted to Johnson’s public policy toward them.

0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 10:57 am
For the life of me I don't know why this "memo" said with all drama it can possible get, is getting so much attention. It is a memo composed by Nunes who had to recuse himself from the House Intelligence hearings on Russia because he looked at classified information on WH grounds. I mean, of course he is going to be biased and he is. There is nothing to this memo but conjecture and assumptions made people who have an ax to grind whose name is Mueller. I mean what is the current phrase "nothing-burger?"

Quote:
According to the sources who spoke with the Times, the Republican assertion is that Rosenstein — a former member of the Whitewater investigation into President Bill Clinton — failed to communicate to the surveillance court judge that the Justice Department request to continue monitoring Page’s actions was based on information produced by former MI6 officer Christopher Steele, who was hired by Democrats and Hillary Clinton’s campaign to seek out opposition research on Trump’s team. Steele was also retained by the research firm Fusion GPS, on behalf of the conservative Washington Free Beacon, early on in the campaign. (Glenn Simpson, the co-founder of Fusion GPS, has repeatedly claimed that the decision to launch the Russia investigation was not based on information gleaned from his firm’s and Steele’s research.)

The memo also implies that Rosenstein “failed to properly vet a highly sensitive application for a warrant to spy on Mr. Page.” However, as the Times points out, “no information has publicly emerged” proving Rosenstein or the Justice Department did anything wrong in seeking to extend surveillance on Page, who testified before the House Intelligence Committee in November that he had contact with Russian officials during his time as a foreign policy adviser for the Trump campaign.

TP
blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:00 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
King is best known for his horror fictions.
Yes, I know. But a response of "horrified" re Trump wouldn't need any fictional component. We're there already.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:03 am
@izzythepush,
Nor does george. If one was animating george as a cartoon character, that particular voice would do the trick very nicely.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:04 am
@blatham,
Translation:

https://amyshojai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SmilingPetDog_12329574_original.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:08 am
@blatham,
TRANSLATION:

https://consultingtoolkit.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/patting-dog.jpg
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:09 am
@blatham,
TRANSLATION:

https://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/hand-petting-bulldog-outside_155516462.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:12 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
No. FBI Comey's last minute betrayal helped Trump climb up the throne.

How could he betray her unless he owed her fealty?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:13 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I agree with this guy digby.
Not a fella.
Quote:
Digby is the pseudonym of political blogger Heather Digby Parton[1] from Santa Monica who founded the blog Hullabaloo. She has been called one of the "leading and most admired commentators" of the liberal / progressive blogosphere.[2]
wikipedia
More importantly, she's been blogging for nearly two decades and her blog, Hullabaloo, has been an incredibly valuable record of these decades. Very smart and diligent and nobody works harder at this than she does. She's a real treasure.

I've come to agree with your assessment of Kelly. He seems to be behaving like Nero's personal secretary.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:39 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Nobody seems to be talking about the memo and the release of Andrew McCabe...

I think we’re finally knocking on the door of the shadow government holding sway at the FBI.
And the thing of it is that such statements/ideas as this are a staple of Bernie Sanders' recent commentary but are, by contrast, never seen in current right wing media.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:41 am
@ehBeth,
That's why his name was familiar!
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
When did the GOP candidate and his supporters actively work to insult and marginalize African-Americans?

Here are a few examples. There are other instances which occurred before he was a candidate and after he was elected. You might not consider these offensive. But members of the targeted groups did.

6 Times Donald Trump Used His Presidential Campaign To Insult Black Voters
Essence
Donald Trump’s Description of Black America Is Offending Those Living in It
NYT
A day after a black activist was kicked and punched by voters at a Donald Trump rally in Alabama, Trump tweeted an image packed with racially loaded and incorrect murder statistics.
Politico

Quote:

When did the GOP candidate and his supporters actively work to insult and marginalize Mexican-Americans?

"Rapists?"
Latin Trends
izzythepush

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:51 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Your claim that the MSM was neutral is just too ridiculous to respond to.

You're right.

The American media is the most right wing in the developed world, even allegedly 'liberal' media outlets banged the drum for Bush's illegal war in Iraq.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 30 Jan, 2018 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
interesting bit on CBC radio last night on how much money Cheney made from Halliburton in and around his war gov gigs
And he's just one individual highly incentivized to promote warfare. Take into consideration how many such individuals, engineering and construction firms, logistics enterprises and intel operations, not to mention PR entities hired to facilitate public agreement towards war, etc is in the picture. This is big, big money.
There must be some economic studies on how dependent the US economy is on its militarism.
0 Replies