monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I'm confused. I can't keep it straight as to which way things really work. Is it the 1% who call all the shots on the right or is it the people?

Its both, the 1% have to be careful about what they do. They have power, sometimes they win, sometimes 'the people' win. Its a tug of war..This is why we need more involvement from people..the rich get more than 1 vote. The rest of us have to make up for that variance in our sheer greater numbers..

Quote:
In light of the things that have been passed in the last few years, it would seem the religious right doesn't have any power at all

Yes, from what I saw, they really didn't ever have any real power. They had some influence, but they were given the steering wheel we give to kids in our car by the politicians that courted them. They wanted their votes, but those politicians understood what they were courting and tried to limit their actual power. This of course could backfire. I don't think it did to any great degree, but those effects are hard to quantify/qualify..
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:38 pm
Given how 0bama's huge ego has been bruised by the total repudiation he has suffered, it's easy to see him planting seeds of revenge against all of his so-called (mostly imagined) enemies including Trump.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Quote:
If I see discrimination, I will be there to defend the minority.

Will you be wearing your cape?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:50 pm
@Frugal1,
Don't you think that you are really too abusive now, even for a racist like you are?
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Abusive racist? You just described 0bama and his followers.
Do you hate him because of his skin color, his support of muslim terrorist, or both?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I don't think polling 😡1000 adults represents American voters in the slightest.

Something we can agree on.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

I attended law school and earned a juris doctorate, but I haven't practiced law in many years. Thus, I haven't been a "lawyer" for many years, although I have engaged in legal research and writing for others during my retirement. My hubby and I own income-producing property, including a successful business, all of which is none of your concern. Because we live in a nation of laws, not of men, all citizens should know and understand the laws that govern our individual and collective conduct.

And, of course, words matter and ought to be understood and mean something. I wonder if the word "ambiguity" means anything to you? It doesn't escape anyone's attention that you omitted both Georgeob1's words and the entire context in which they were offered. Please provide what you omitted and then provide us with your "comprehension" of Georgeob1's message. What is his beef? Be clear.

I'll try to help you out of your confusion. Here's what I wrote;
Quote:
I do reject the contemporary group identities imposed on us by current fashion , as well the associated distortion of our constitution, which addressed the rights of individuals as opposed to groups. My experience in life has taught be that individal variations everywhere are generally greater and far more significant than the supposed differences in these group identities. I have also observed that little lasting good has been accomplished by government action based on such group identity.

Finally I recognize that the only real solution to these issues is the recognition of the significant individual qualities of people in preference to the relatively insignificant group categories with which we currently label them. The assumption that increased government directed and enforced efforts to correct past wrongs, with even more group identity based enforcement, won't have far worse and lasting adverse side effects than the thing it ostensibly seeks to rectify, strikes me as ludicrous.

I believe the thought line and meaning are clear enough, however the essence of it is in the following points;
=> The differences among individuals within the curently fashionable group identies ( White, Black, Hispanic, Women, Men, Heterosexual, Homosexual &other variants, etc.) are, in my experience, greater and far more significant than the (relatively superficial) characteristics used to define these groups.
=> Prejudice and intolerance will decline in proportion to the degree that people judge or choose among others based on their individual characteristics or merits in preference to those associuated with group identities.
=> Government programs intended to reduce the effects of past (or poresent) prejudices based themselves on these group identities have inherent adverse side effects in that they themselves involve coercive action based on group instead of individual charistics. In short another dose of inorganic arsenic is not an efective remedy for arsenic poisioning.

All remedies have side effects, many of them adverse. However we have clearly reached a point at which the adverse side effects exceed any beneficial ones in all this stuff. I's time, as MLK said, to "judge others by the content of their character instead of the color of their skin".

Debra Law wrote:

I am aware of man's inhumanity to man. The reason so much attention is given to the Holocaust is due to the vast similarities between Hitler's rise to power and Trump's rise to power and his clear use of Hitler's playbook. That is something you have yet to acknowledge.

In reference to this point, and to your odd insertion of the Holocaust into the earlier this discussion in your earlier post, I stated the following;
Quote:
Do you really know that the Extermination of Jews in Europe during WWII "didn't teach me anything" or indeed that I needed to be taught anything at all in that area? It seems to me that you are being rather presumptuous and prejudicial... not to mention undeservedly offensive.
I followed with a partial list of the major mass exterminations that have occurred in just the past 150 years - it is perhaps surprisingly long, and still continuing as we exchange these posts. I suggested this is illustrative of a sad but observable fact of human nature.

The casual connection you find in , "the vast similarities between Hitler's rise to power and Trump's rise to power and his clear use of Hitler's playbook." ..... are not at all obvious. Please explain. Indeed I find many similarities between the populist elements of Senator Bernie Sander's primary campaign against Clinton, and Trump's against her in the final. Do you believe Sanders too was imitating Hitler? I can find many deep differences in the rhetoric of both when compared to the ample material we have from Hitler. I find your allusions here to be vague, insufficient and probably disingenuous.

Yiu also wrote this;
Debra Law wrote:

Georgeob1: It has been apparent to me for quite some time that you're anti-gay, anti-black, anti-equal rights/civil rights, anti-social programs, anti-education, and the list continues. In other words, I see you for the supremacist and oppressor that you are. That makes me sad. Why didn't the massacre of millions of people in Nazi Germany teach you anything?

I found that a bit offensive, but finally realized you're addressing only the de rigueur superficial PC manifestations of these things, not the substance. I hope you will become able to see beyond that stuff.

Finally, I think we both recognize, and have experienced, the benefits, and limits of advanced education. Yours in the law; mine in appplied physics, plus nuclear and structural engineering. I too am still active and also run a business (about 550 people, mostly engineers, geologists, chemists & toxicologists). I believe I have learned far more since leaving university than in it.

Georgeob1:

You most certainly use a lot of words to dance around your own issues of bigotry, racism, and hypocrisy. There are some who are just ignorant (possibly the Frugal character) and there are others who know better but are willfully blind. You just don't care about the plight of minorities in this country. This is not the land of opportunity for so many of them.

I understood your past references to modern-day plantations. You're referring to those portions of some inner cities that are occupied in large part by minorities (in particular, blacks). You advocate the dismantling and abolishing social programs that benefit minorities (thus displaying a survival of the fittest mentality) and repealing laws that were designed to protect minorities from discriminatory practices.

It is also noteworthy that your "ilk" (Republicans/Conservatives/Right-Wingers) are frothing at the mouth to withdraw even more funding away from inner city schools. How many inner city schools have adequate funding necessary to provide minority children with a meaningful education, i.e., an education that would somehow assist them to claw their way out of poverty? You and I were blessed to be educated. But did you have to claw your way out of a ghetto before you could get where you're at today?

The list goes on, Georgeob1, but no matter how much you might find it offensive that people can see you through your sea of words, you know what you mean by those words. So why won't you be clear? State your beef against minorities in a clear manner. Don't hide behind your curtain of fuzzy wordiness.
Baldimo

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:26 pm
@Debra Law,
Don't bother George, she doesn't get it and will only try to drag you down to her level. She is another one of those people who see racism everywhere they look. If you don't believe what they believe in fixing an issue, then you are a racist. I've already asked on this thread on was it another thread, what the Dems have done for those in the inner cities. Someone answered, Obama was elected...

giujohn

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:35 pm
@Baldimo,
When it was revealed she's a lawyer it was one of those "ah-hah" moments for me.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:38 pm
@revelette1,
Then again his tweets are repeated on every major news network in existence.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Perhaps you think there is some hope for us.

Most of us. But unfortunately not for you, as long as you put your opinion ahead of facts.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:06 pm
@Debra Law,
Well Debra, we are finally coming together. Russia and the United States are both an Oligarchy. I'm sure that tRump and Putin with their brethren will control the world population along with China. The U S voter has screwed themselves and are proud of it if the conservative posters on this site can be believed.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:13 pm
@Debra Law,
I wish Joe Biden's son hadn't died. We might have had a real president rather than a clownish con man.
RABEL222

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How many republicans did you poll. 100% could be 1.

More of Mcg's lying bs. He dident poll anybody.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:17 pm
Megan Kelly will no longer be at Fox...She's going to NBC...Good riddance...And that's a good place for her where only bleeding hearts will watch her.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:18 pm
@catbeasy,
Yes on that.
I prefer Pence (whom I don't agree with on anything that I know of) because I don't think of him as a push the button in rage (or for fun) person.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Be honest, the only time you experienced discrimination of any kind is when you went out in public naked.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:22 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
The racial bigotry is so ugly.

A lot of racial bigots voted for tRump but not all voters were bigots. Many were haters of the Clinton's. Like Lash and her hatred of both. And of course tRumps telling the uneducated coal miners he was going to open up a coal industry that is dead.
0 Replies

Frugal1

@RABEL222,
Crazy Joe the molester ??
0 Replies

reasoning logic

@Debra Law,
Quote:
The racial bigotry is so ugly.

It is sad that some people lack empathy for others.