monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cicerone imposter

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't think polling 😡1000 adults represents American voters in the slightest.
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm
0bama & his liberal progressive democrats fear that the curtain will be pulled back, and everyone will see just how many terrible things they have been doing behind the scenes when it comes to illegal immigration into the USA. They have so much to hide, and nobody but themselves to blame.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 12:59 pm
@Debra Law,
What was upsetting for me was that racial bigotry hasn't been reduced from our country as I thought we had in this time in our country.
Progress is much slower than I presumed.
cicerone imposter

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:01 pm
@McGentrix,
How many republicans did you poll. 100% could be 1.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Debra Law

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What was upsetting for me was that racial bigotry hasn't been reduced from our country as I thought we had in this time in our country.

Those racists are also hypocrites. At the very moment they're driving their pregnant unwed teenage daughters down to the local public assistance office to apply for public assistance (as an example), they're listening to a hate-jockey on the car radio and cussing because their tax dollars are supporting "[black] welfare queens" and "strapping young [black] bucks". But no, they're not racists with double standards they proclaim. When the downtrodden white working class people repeatedly dip into the public trough, that's somehow different.

0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:54 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
It couldn't hurt for you to follow him on twitter.

A president is supposed to president for all the people in the US, not every citizen is able to afford a computer. Although they may be able to go places where people can have free access to computer, with the way the coming President tweets, it would be hard for them to keep up with his communications. Using twitter would be fine if he used as an extra way to communicate, but if he uses it as his main way to communicate, a lot of people in the US are going to be in the dark with any direct message from the President.
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:58 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:

A president is supposed to president for all the people in the US, not every citizen is able to afford a computer.

Why do you think American blacks can't afford a computer?

Trump will be the president for all of the people, and he will utilize other media to get his message out... you just need to wait until he takes office.
revelette1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:01 pm
@Frugal1,
I didn't say a word about "blacks." Telling on your part. A lot of poor working white people can't afford computers.
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:04 pm
@revelette1,
Didn't 0bama spend millions of tax payer dollars to make the internet available to everybody? Didn't he also spend millions of tax payer dollars to give out obamaphones? Of course he did, but you seem to think he ignored American whites - did he?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The racial bigotry is so ugly. We want to believe our country has improved; that our people are tolerant ... but so many are not and it's shocking! Here's a recent story about a victim of racism and violence:

http://www.startribune.com/guilty-plea-entered-in-assault-with-beer-mug-on-muslim-woman-at-coon-rapids-applebee-s/397321571/

I had also watched a video clip of the sentencing in the above matter and the defendant's family members were smirking at the victim when she made her statement. It is indeed upsetting to know these hateful racist people are in our communities. Some are better at hiding it than others.
Below viewing threshold (view)
catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:15 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Trump has properties all over the world. They’re now major terrorism targets.

Given Trumps need for revenge, this is very dangerous.

Of course, this isn't new. There's lots of politicians that have interests that conflict with national security and I'm sure many of them have manifest from time to time.

However, the difference I think is who has their finger on the button. Given Trumps instability, we can only hope there are much more rational voices in his ear if it comes to this..
Baldimo

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:16 pm
@Debra Law,
Our country has improved, it's old people like you who live in the past who don't see the improvements. You should get out and get to know regular people and stop living in your echo chamber from the 60's.

0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:17 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Trump's often inconsistent statements are models of candor and honesty.

I noticed how you threw in honesty with candor. He has oodles of candor, honesty, not so much..

He is just like Hillary and other policiticians with lies, only much less experienced in his job and much more immature - read unstable.

Here we go again, trying to paint our new president as somehow being different than what we had before. Only if that difference means worse..
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:24 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
However we have clearly reached a point at which the adverse side effects exceed any beneficial ones in all this stuff.

No, we haven't clearly reached a point. If anything, this stuff is still at the least debatable.

Clearly there are still groups that need protections because clearly the law isn't applied equally to them. We need only look at racial incarceration rates to understand this.

There is also hypocrisy for this position. There are folks who hold your belief, but then support women's fund raisers because they are 'clearly' in need of protection? Yes, women are indeed singled out because of what they are and abused for it. Do they need extra help over folks not so singled out? And who gets to be singled out for help? What do the statistics show? What does your own experience tell you? I can tell you by experience that many women I've known have been singled out for abuse as well as many minorities. I can also tell you that I'm aware of my own prejudices (because I live in a society that feeds them), but care and so try to fight them. I don't need to imagine what others that don't share that level of concern are like..
catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I'm surprised that Blatham isn't worried about Kerry as well.

He probably would and should be, but this isn't a thread about JK.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:26 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
MAD is not a threat anymore

That is madness. It is always a threat. The fact that nuclear weapons exist ensures this..
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:28 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Chomsky made an interesting point during the arms to Iran era. He suggested that such secrecy wouldn't have been required during the fifties/early sixties because citizens (and press) trusted government more and so were less engaged in monitoring what was going on.

That seems logical. But I also think that people were more politically involved back then.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:30 pm
@catbeasy,
Having experienced discrimination in this country is based on facts. I lived it, and other minorities still suffer from it. We see it almost daily in this country, and it cannot be ignored. If I see discrimination, I will be there to defend the minority.