monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
Liberal progressive democrats lack empathy for Americans they don't own.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:24 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
Racial bigotry is the very foundation your liberal progressive democrat party is built on.

Are you from the land of opposite?
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
I just happen to know this countries history, something you clearly skipped over.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:32 pm
@RABEL222,
Joe didn't have a chance of winning and he wasn't going to step into the ring with Hillary. Hillary was the chosen one from the DNC, it was her turn...
roger

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Maybe, but I was sure hoping.
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:38 pm
@roger,
It would have been entertaining because Crazy Joe the molester would have been more inclined to engage Trump instead of hiding from him like HRC did. Trump would have beaten Biden easily, because America actually hates of all things associated with 0bama. ~ Hate is not a word I like to use, but the nations deep dislike & disdain for how 0bama, and his liberal progressive democrats, private & political, plus 99% of all sources of news worked together in an effort to con the people and smear anyone in there way. Happily, obama's big plan to stay in power didn't work against Trump. The big democrat offensive wasn't shovel ready after all Very Happy

America HATES how 0bama and his minions fucked up this nation, and our individual pursuit of happiness.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:00 pm
Quote:
Robert Costa ‏@costareports 4h4 hours ago
Most members tell me blizzard of angry constituent calls were most impt factor in getting the House to sideline the amdt

Remember this. It works.
blatham

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:12 pm
Quote:
More than 1,100 law school professors nationwide oppose Sessions’s nomination as attorney general

A group of more than 1,100 law school professors from across the country is sending a letter to Congress on Tuesday urging the Senate to reject the nomination of Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) for attorney general.

The letter, signed by professors from 170 law schools in 48 states, is also scheduled to run as a full-page newspaper ad aimed at members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will be holding confirmation hearings for Sessions on Jan. 10-11.

“We are convinced that Jeff Sessions will not fairly enforce our nation’s laws and promote justice and equality in the United States,” states the letter, signed by prominent legal scholars including Laurence H. Tribe of Harvard Law School, Geoffrey R. Stone of the University of Chicago Law School, Pamela S. Karlan of Stanford Law School and Erwin Chemerinsky of the University of California, Irvine School of Law.
[=urlhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/more-than-1100-law-school-professors-nationwide-oppose-sessionss-nomination-as-attorney-general/2017/01/03/dbf55750-d1cc-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_sessions-330pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.302277058047]LINK[/url]
Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:31 pm
@blatham,
Is you is or is you ain't my constituency?

Watch this liberal get ridden out of town on a rail by 'his constituency'.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:35 pm
@blatham,
Sorry, correction for above LINK
0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:40 pm
Dan Rather Scolds WSJ For Refusing To Call Trump On Lies

Quote:
A lie, is a lie, is a lie. Journalism, as I was taught it, is a process of getting as close to some valid version of the truth as is humanly possible. And one of my definitions of news is information that the powerful don't want you to know.

So this statement (see attached article) from the editor in chief of the Wall Street Journal about how his paper will report on Donald Trump’s potential (likely?) future lies is deeply disturbing. It is not the proper role of journalists to meet lies—especially from someone of Mr. Trump’s stature and power—by hiding behind semantics and euphemisms. Our role is to call it as we see it, based on solid reporting. When something is, in fact, a demonstrable lie, it is our responsibility to say so.

There is no joy in taking issue with the Journal’s chief editor. His newspaper is a publication for which I have deep respect for the overall quality of its reporting. But, as I have said before and will say as long as people are willing to listen, this is a gut check moment for the press....

A lie is a lie is a lie.
giujohn

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:56 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Robert Costa ‏@costareports 4h4 hours ago
Most members tell me blizzard of angry constituent calls were most impt factor in getting the House to sideline the amdt

Remember this. It works.

BULLSHIT

It was Trump's tweet that did it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 06:57 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

Quote:
A lie, is a lie, is a lie. Journalism, as I was taught it, is a process of getting as close to some valid version of the truth as is humanly possible. And one of my definitions of news is information that the powerful don't want you to know.

So this statement (see attached article) from the editor in chief of the Wall Street Journal about how his paper will report on Donald Trump’s potential (likely?) future lies is deeply disturbing. It is not the proper role of journalists to meet lies—especially from someone of Mr. Trump’s stature and power—by hiding behind semantics and euphemisms. Our role is to call it as we see it, based on solid reporting. When something is, in fact, a demonstrable lie, it is our responsibility to say so.

There is no joy in taking issue with the Journal’s chief editor. His newspaper is a publication for which I have deep respect for the overall quality of its reporting. But, as I have said before and will say as long as people are willing to listen, this is a gut check moment for the press....

A lie is a lie is a lie.

Dan knows all about lies...Ask W.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 08:02 pm
@Debra Law,
You don't really know what may be my cares or concerns about anything, including "the plight of minorities in this country" which you claim as a chief concern of yours.

One of my concerns is that most of the "programs" enacted "for the benefit of minorities" over the past few decades have done more harm to their intended beneficiaries than good. They have created dependency rather than reducing it; rewarded self-destructive behavior rather than behaviors that will increase individual development and achievment; and brought the wrong leaders to the forefront --- all under the supposed benevolent guidance of self-appointed progressive "leaders" whose careers derive from these programs and who in fact are the real beneficiaries of them. This is the plantation to which I was referring, not the abstract image of "inner cities" which you appear to entertain.

I do indeed believe the survival of the fittest is the observable rule in the world, and that the creation of programmed dependencies managed by self-appointed external elites has proven to be, positively harmful for precisely the minorities they were nominally designed to protect Unlike you I advocate self-direction and empowerment for minorities, and am confident that, with self-direction and local choices, they will be able to do it just as did the hordes of then uneducated immigrants who flooded this country a century ago. They need less "protection" and more autonomy; less protection and more freedom.

I believe your accusations that conservatives "are frothing at the mouth to withdraw even more funding away from inner city schools" are merely code words for abolishing free choices for minorities to choose available charter schools and thereby escape failing school systems, and an educational establisment interested only in itself. These charter schools have already proven their ability to deliver far superior results for minority children. It appears you would like to confine the most engaged parents among them to a failing public schools system that avoids direct measures of effectiveness and seeks only more funding and less competition - the hallmarks of a failing monopoly.

It is precisely the demonstrated inability of public schools to help minorities "clkaw their way out of poverty" that has made charter schools so attractive for inner city minority parents. It appears you prefer to leave that function to government bureaucrats, who can't even do it for themselves.

I have been perfectly clear: it is you who retreats behind vague words and fuzzy rhetoric.
blatham

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 08:08 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:

The WSJ has in the past labeled guess who as guilty of lying. So this is not a consistent editorial stance at all.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 08:52 pm
Zineb el Rhazoui, Charlie Hebdo survivor, discusses why the world needs to ‘Destroy Islamic Fascism
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 08:56 pm
,,OBAMA LEGACY AUDIO=> Leaked Tape Reveals Obama Wanted ISIS to Grow
0 Replies

catbeasy

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
hey have created dependency rather than reducing it; rewarded self-destructive behavior rather than behaviors that will increase individual development and achievment; and brought the wrong leaders to the forefront --- all under the supposed benevolent guidance of self-appointed progressive "leaders" whose careers derive from these programs and who in fact are the real beneficiaries of them

I agree with the outcome of what is being done. Namely that politicians are not interested in really solving the social problem of poverty..

Where we may diverge is that I don't believe this to be a democrat/republican thing. The republicans pretend to play outside of the what you refer to as the democratic sandbox of 'keeping people down whilst giving them aid' all the while they and the democrats economic policies create that sandbox so that those things are necessary..

So, while the economics remain as they are, its necessary to give as they do. What else is there? If they stopped, the economic machinery and the inequalities that machinery creates would threaten to destroy those people for whom that machinery helped to compromise in the first place. There would likely be chaos, riots on a scale we currently don't see. 3rd world ****.

Your less protection and more freedom only works in a society engineered to ensure that less protection actually means more freedom. That's the crux of this argument. I don't believe that we have created a society where removal of protections means equality for all. This society rigs the 'game' and its balance is not in favour of the poor (including whites) and minorities.

I do believe strides have been made though to change that. The civil rights movement was one. There were other policies designed to try to change the shape of economics as well. But on the whole, those things in that regard have started to go south. There is a real push back to push things backwards. But these gains are seen from a framework where help like what is given is made to seem 'normal'.

Trump is no less a leader in that regard than Clinton (both) and Bush and all the other presidents. The basic shape of the system remains the same. Not that there aren't other priorities, but for this discussion, priority uno is economics. Change that shape (however that looks - it would probably have to be experimental - not 'communism'), making it more equitable. Money = power.

There is too much monetary unbalance now and that does not come 'naturally'. There may be a natural law that says someone is born more energetic, with more natural (human) intelligence than another. In that regard we will forever be unequal. But there is no natural law that says someone ought to earn 400 times more money than another. That is human made, human sanctified and for known reasons.

Financial inequality is equivalent to political inequality which makes people unequal in the eyes of the law.

I don't pretend to know what the perfect system is. I'm not advocating any type of ism. I am seeking consistency and clarity in what we have. Whether or not I make a coherent argument, I fell that understanding needs to come first before anything can be discussed; we have to agree on the playing field and the parts in it or we talk at cross purposes..
cicerone imposter

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:21 pm
@catbeasy,
You'll enjoy this article.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/12/16/democrats-policies-are-more-popular-but-republicans-are-more-ideologically-unified/?utm_term=.95a5e7a50e95
glitterbag

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The republicans have always been driven to march in lock step.