monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 04:11 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

oralloy wrote:
Trump's political abilities are far beyond the political abilities of most people.

Hitler's political abilities were far beyond the political abilities of most people.

Hitler had the masses because because he inherited a weak economy going down, weak employment, weak military, a country controlled by the world due to Germany's WWI actions. tRump has a weak showing of the deplorables because he inherited a strong economy that has been on the constant rise for 7 years, the strongest military the world has ever seen, a country highly respected world wide because of Obama's diplomacy 1st policies.

Yeap, tRump sucks and America and the World is in deep trouble as his sucky policies begin to take effect! <SIGH>
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 04:45 pm
@Builder,
There is no reason for voters to strongly disapprove of Trump's performance, other than strictly partisan ones and/or exposure of the gullible to the non-stop cheese-eater lies and distortions.

He has done wonders for job seekers and investors, economic growth is strong, ISIS done bit the curb, border crossings are way down, he's supporting Iran dissidents, he's cut taxes for all, etc.

His numbers will continue to go up.

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 05:01 pm
Quote:
President Trump took a new shot at “Fake News CNN” on Sunday after anchor Jake Tapper suddenly ended an ultra-tense interview with White House policy adviser and Trump loyalist Stephen Miller.

“Jake Tapper of Fake News CNN just got destroyed in his interview with Stephen Miller of the Trump Administration. Watch the hatred and unfairness of this CNN flunky!” Trump tweeted.

Sho nuff.

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 05:08 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Meanwhile on the Looney Progressive planet ( see posts above) things are very different - obsessions about the president's sanity and eating habits grips the ever worried and humorless holders of the "special knowledge" that unites them all. Outraged opposition alone is their policy, preoccupation and platform. No concrete policy proposals; no effort to unite or synthesize the views and policies of the emerging left wing (and unelectable) elements of the party with their established leadership, or to modernize the positions of their major patrons ( organized Labor is the prime example here ).

Exactly, George.
layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 05:57 pm
@layman,
Like, whooda thunk, I ax ya?

Miller: Your viewers are entitled to 3 minutes of the truth. Why don't you just give me 3 minutes...

Crapper (interrupting): Because it's MY SHOW, and I don't want to do that.

Miller:..Don't be condescending....You have 24 hours a day of anti-Trump material, and you're not gunna give 3 minutes to the American people to get the real...

Crapper: You've wasted enough of my viewers' time [shuts off Miller's mike).
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 06:25 pm

Wikileaks Downloads Entire “Fire and Fury” Anti-Trump Book Online!

This should make the buyers of the fiction very happy. NOT!!

source
blatham

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 06:39 pm
From our exciting new series, Portraits of a Very Stable Genius

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5a50f662dcee365385a1a862/master/w_649,c_limit/Gessen-Fire-and-Fury.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEWhDzdlR7mHSvHEcZuhDam39LaMyu5ZzxZwQqBVWN0t8GrviKxQ

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1CKSiGq2UeH8JbP2cq7Q3feyKMKv4HAnr3a7Mgpsxmvk1ypyJ

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article11700830.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/SUNDAYPEOPLE-PROD-President-Donald-Trump.jpg

Remember, keep watching for more in this series. You'll laugh. You'll weep. But most of all, you'll weep.

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 06:55 pm
@Builder,
I might look at it sometime, but probably not. I figure it reads like a Robert Fisk tale, ya know? I know I would never PAY to read it, that's for sure.

Quote:
"Fisk suffers from John Pilgers tendency to exaggerate; everything Fisk covers, from mundane conversations to journeys on dirt roads, is loaded with deep meanings, ominous portents, and unspeakable dangers---I'd love to read Fisks account of a shopping trip....

"The towering stack of bread loaves, great cumulous formations of baked dough, cast a grim shadow over my shopping trolley. Its wheels creaked menacingly. I was still two aisles away from the frozen vegetables, but comforted myself with the knowledge that when you believe in jihad, it is easy."

blatham

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 06:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The stock market and other leading indicators of business and consumer confidence all point clearly to accelerating economic growth ahead. ( My fairly balanced portfolio is up 6% in just the last week).
And here in Canada, unemployment is at the lowest point in 40 years

Trudeau did that. He must have. He's the PM.
georgeob1

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 08:01 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The stock market and other leading indicators of business and consumer confidence all point clearly to accelerating economic growth ahead. ( My fairly balanced portfolio is up 6% in just the last week).
And here in Canada, unemployment is at the lowest point in 40 years

Trudeau did that. He must have. He's the PM.

We both know there are many cyclic and long term factors, beyond the control of political administrations that influence economic outcomes, and that politicians of every stripe are prone to take personal credit for favorable outcomes occurring during their tenure and to blame their predecessors for unfavorable ones. Few are immune from all that, and I can recall many statements of yours about the favorable results of Obama's policies, and my own citing the unfavorable ones.

That said there are indeed many political/governance factors that do indeed influence economic outcomes. Some are long term, reflecting traditional national policies and transcending most political regimes, some are primarily cyclic and transnational, while others are more dependent on current national policies. Since the 1960s GDP annual growth Rates in Canada have declined from 6 -8% annually to 4-6% in the 1990s and 2-4% since then. The United States has followed a largely similar pattern, though with slightly higher ( ~ + 1%) growth rates Many factors are involved here including some large swings in the export/import trade balance particularly for Canada and the economic cost for wars and military actions by the United States.. However the largest and most determinative factors for both have been the expansion of publicly funded social & economic benefit programs and the concurrent growth of international economic competition from formerly poor countries.

The economies of the U.S. and Canada are closely coupled: each is the other's major trading partner. Canada's current GDP growth lags that of the U.S. by about 1%/yr. and forecasts for the year ahead indicate a widening gap. Both countries are experiencing long-term lows in unemployment. I'll leave it to you and other Canadians to determine whether the current government has had much to do with that. In the case of the United States the evidence connecting our currently rapidly accelerating economic growth rate with the regulatory and tax policies of our current government is very strong and persuasive.
BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 08:03 pm
@blatham,
Of course, Repuke rules don't apply to Dems or the end of Repuke terms when everything has taken a nose dive! How do you judge a Presidents effect on the economy? The end of their terms, check it out for the last 120 years, Repukes suck!
0 Replies

Builder

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:36 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I know I would never PAY to read it, that's for sure.

It's testament to the pure hatred out there that the book sold so well, fiction or not.

It tells me how easily the half of the population are swayed by media bias, rather than critical thinking, but then, critical thinking isn't encouraged in western society.

Only very recently, are Australians waking up to the fact that we're very lucky that HRC got canned in that election.
blatham

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
We both know there are many cyclic and long term factors, beyond the control of political administrations that influence economic outcomes, and that politicians of every stripe are prone to take personal credit for favorable outcomes occurring during their tenure and to blame their predecessors for unfavorable ones
Ya figure? Trudeau did not take credit for the unemployment figure. I don't give him credit for it. Contrast with what Trump has taken credit for and your nod to the very stable genius.

Quote:
I can recall many statements of yours about the favorable results of Obama's policies
Now you are in bullshit territory. The only thing I've ever written about Obama's influence on the economy was to point out that the stats Trump takes credit for can be seen (I posted the graphs for you) to originate with post-crash steps taken by Bush and then Obama. That trend line steadily increases over the eight years and through to the present. The arrival of Trump in the WH has no effect whatsoever on this trend line.

And I know, even if you do not, that if/when the economy goes south, you are going to be the very last person on earth (except for Trump) to apply your thesis to that situation.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 10:22 pm
@blatham,
"Stop it, Donald! You're embarrassing me!" Embarrassed
BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 10:45 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

"Stop it, Donald! You're embarrassing me!" Embarrassed

Bill, he's not embarrassing, just crazy and criminal. He needs to be sent to the home for the criminally insane - PRISON!
0 Replies

thack45

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 10:55 pm
@blatham,
Tremendous stability
https://media2.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_21/2013791/snaps-about-nbc-news-special-event-on-snp-07_3w_d34130f589e0619c92cab68bc867fc9c.nbcnews-fp-360-360.gif