monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 10:14 am
Quote:
What made the Emperor Nero tick, Suetonius writes in “Lives of the Caesars,” was “a longing for immortality and undying fame, though it was ill-regulated.” Many Romans were convinced that Nero was mentally unbalanced and that he had burned much of the imperial capital to the ground just to make room for the construction of the Domus Aurea, a gold-leaf-and-marble palace that stretched from the Palatine to the Esquiline Hill. At enormous venues around the city, he is said to have sung, danced, and played the water organ for many hours—but not before ordering the gates locked to insure that the house would remain full until after the final encore. Driven half mad by Nero’s antics, Romans feigned death or shimmied over the walls with ropes to escape.
Chaotic, corrupt, incurious, infantile, grandiose, and obsessed with gaudy real estate, Donald Trump is of a Neronic temperament. He has always craved attention. Now the whole world is his audience.
David Remnick
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 10:25 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Who was it that said that a genius would always be opposed by a confederacy of stupid people?

I have much admiration for Dean Swift, as do many others here I'm sure. So I'm sure others realize that this statement does not mean that anyone who faces a chorus of public opprobrium is automatically raised to the rank of a genius. It's one thing to point to misunderstood people like Galileo, Semmelweis, or Tesla — what's conspicuously lacking here is any demonstration of "genius" on the part of Mr. Trump himself. I think an equally true, but not nearly as witty, is that while true genius may be opposed by a confederacy of dunces, the corollary is that a demagogue will always find support from legions of stupid people.
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 11:16 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Cue the Benny Hill theme..

It's called Yakety Sax.
hightor

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 11:25 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Trump's political abilities are far beyond the political abilities of most people.

You might be right. Conducting statecraft with the vocabulary and demeanor of a sixth-grader, repeatedly being called out for stating outright falsehoods, and consistently maintaining his sub 40% approval rating demonstrates a high degree of political acumen. Who knew?
hightor

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

It's called Yakety Sax.

By the great Boots Randolph, probably the only tenorman to achieve prominence in country music. His inspiration came from King Curtis's work on Yakety Yak from a few years earlier.
layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 11:52 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

By the great Boots Randolph, probably the only tenorman to achieve prominence in country music. His inspiration came from King Curtis's work on Yakety Yak from a few years earlier.

The Coasters, they ROCK, eh!? What's up with that little-ass blue link, anyways? Post the vid!

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 12:03 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
A post-Brexit trade deal between the U.K. and U.S. could be in danger if Donald Trump doesn’t get invited to the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, according to the author of a controversial new book about the U.S. president.

BBC Radio 4's flagship news programme Today has special guest editors over the Christmas period. This year Prince Harry was one of the editors. He chose to interview Barack Obama and his father Prince Charles withy whom he discussed environmental issues and global inequality.

Although admitting he has to tread a very careful line when discussing political issues it's very clear his views are a million miles from those of Trump. Harry is trying to position himself as representative of his generation, one that despises fascists like Trump and Farage, he will not want Trump to tarnish that image.

And he will, any appearance of that slobbering creep will overshadow a joyous event and drag Harry's reputation through the dirt. Harry knows what happened to Tony Blair when he cosied up to Bush, and he's not going to want that.

And at the end of the day it's Harry's decision, not Theresa May's.

We're used to standing up to fascists over here, and what this one is threatening is nothing compared to his predecessor.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 12:05 pm
@hightor,
It's better known as that over here. Benny Hill went out of favour a long long time ago. His stuff hasn't been on the telly since the early 80s and most people under 50 have never heard of him.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 12:12 pm
Hahahahahahah. This bitch believes her own bullshit and thinks she can convince Pence of it, too!!

Hilarious.

I pity the fool.
layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 12:22 pm
@layman,
1. First it was RECOUNT! Nice try, cheese-eaters.

2. Then it was bribe electoral college voters to double-cross their constitutents. Nice try, cheese-eaters.

3. Then it was the emoluments clause. Nice-try, cheese-eaters.

4. Then it was assassination! Nice-try, cheese-eaters.

5. Then it was impeachment! Nice try, cheese-eaters.

6. Then it was the 25th Amendment. Nice try, cheese-eaters.

7. All along it's also been RUSSIA, I TELLZYA! Nice try, cheese-eaters.

Time to devote all conceivable resources to #4, I guess, eh, Cheese-eaters?

Or, just give it up, you lost.

Well, I guess there really aint no "or" about it, eh?

But, he's THREATENING OUR DEMOCRACY, I TELLZYA! Aint that right, Hillary?

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 01:48 pm
@layman,
THREATENING.

OUR.

DEMOCRACY.

Nuff said.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 02:07 pm
@hightor,
oralloy wrote:
Trump's political abilities are far beyond the political abilities of most people.

Hitler's political abilities were far beyond the political abilities of most people.
BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 03:08 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
As an EPA intern, I was barred from mentioning climate change

...Combing through the old tweets, I noticed that some had links to the EPA’s information on climate change, but the links were now dead. I had to leave the links out of my draft tweets, erasing paths that citizens had once been able to follow to learn about the science. I understood that policies change from administration to administration, but could science, based on years of research, really become outdated, too?

I was also asked to look at the EPA’s Instagram account to get a sense of what the agency wanted to focus on in its social media. Under the Obama administration, many images on the account featured EPA employees from across the country, as well as Superfund sites turned into parks — and even scientist Bill Nye . Under the new administration, EPA chief Scott Pruitt appeared in every picture or video through the first months — often with one of his quotes, such as “We as a nation can be both pro energy and jobs and pro environment. . . . We don’t have to choose between the two.” (Since then, the images have been more varied, though many still show Pruitt.)
WP

Not only a narcissistic pResident but a narcissistic administration! a true fascist organization....
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 03:21 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Who was it that said that a genius would always be opposed by a confederacy of stupid people?

I have much admiration for Dean Swift, as do many others here I'm sure. So I'm sure others realize that this statement does not mean that anyone who faces a chorus of public opprobrium is automatically raised to the rank of a genius. It's one thing to point to misunderstood people like Galileo, Semmelweis, or Tesla — what's conspicuously lacking here is any demonstration of "genius" on the part of Mr. Trump himself. I think an equally true, but not nearly as witty, is that while true genius may be opposed by a confederacy of dunces, the corollary is that a demagogue will always find support from legions of stupid people.

"demagogue will always find support from legions of stupid people."; ie, the deplorable!
0 Replies

BillW

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 03:22 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

You might be right. Conducting statecraft with the vocabulary and demeanor of a sixth-grader, repeatedly being called out for stating outright falsehoods, and consistently maintaining his sub 40% approval rating demonstrates a high degree of political acumen. Who knew?

ie, only the deplorable!
0 Replies

layman

Sun 7 Jan, 2018 03:45 pm
Quote:
Bannon expresses 'regret' for comments

"Donald Trump Jr. is both a patriot and a good man,” Bannon also said in the statement. “He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around. Bannon said his description of the meeting was aimed at former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort, not Trump's son.

"My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda— as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama," Bannon said in a statement to Axios.

It's pretty clear that Bannon did let Wolffe record his ass, and is in no position to deny the quotes attributed to him, eh?
0 Replies