monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillW

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 04:47 pm
@revelette1,
revelette, it is illegal to step into a Post Office with a concealed weapon - Federal Law, Federal prosecution. If you step into the. Post Office with a bag of pot in a state that has legalized pot, same thing, Federal Law, Federal prosecution. To your point, would Sessions prosecute the gun crime, I doubt it. I no longer smoke pot; but, I still believe it is a personal right! It will one day be universally legal beyond the reach of troglodytes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 04:49 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I hope I never hear of the right talking about 'states rights' again. It is just inconsistently used for conveniences sake.

Quote:

@JohnWDean
5h5 hours ago

Sessions is big on state’s rights when states suppress minority voting. But not so big on states rights when states vote to make adult decisions: like drug use, gay marriage or abortion. Little Jeff wants it his way or no way.
ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 04:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Eugene Gu, MD

@eugenegu
7h7 hours ago

Jeff Sessions should focus on how Congress crippled the DEA's ability to fight the opioid epidemic. Instead he tramples upon states' rights and recreational marijuana laws.

64,000 Americans died last year from opioids. None have died from THC. But, you know, priorities.
ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 05:06 pm
@ehBeth,
oh and the video

Quote:

Verified account

@BrandonRittiman

Video from Colorado in 2016👇

I asked @realDonaldTrump about the possibility that his AG pick might try to shut down #marijuana legalization.

“I wouldn’t do that, no,” Trump said. “I think it should be up to the states, absolutely.”

0:34
Brandon Rittiman
Verified account

@BrandonRittiman
Had to ask @realDonaldTrump about #marijuana in light of his alliance with @GovChristie:
#9NEWS #COpolitics

you can see the 34 sec video on twitter
ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
best twitter account to follow right now

Janice Min - part owner of Hollywood Reporter (HR cover was what got Wolff into the WH to do the work that led to the book), guest at infamous Ailes /Bannon dinner party hosted by Wolff

she's verifying things from the book
layman

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 05:36 pm
Let's say a California cop stops a car with five passengers for speeding. No one in the car is anywhere near the line of being "legally impaired." But a guy in the back seat just opened a beer to drink. Can the cop arrest him?

Same deal, but while the cop is writing the speeding ticket, everyone fires up a joint and blows smoke in his face while he writes it. Can the cop arrest any of them?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 05:37 pm
@ehBeth,
and the publication date has been bumped up to tomorrow

#45 should be proud

it's already #1
thack45

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

and the publication date has been bumped up to tomorrow

#45 should be proud

it's already #1

Count one more thing the old boy can credit himself as achieving

MAGAMAGA
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 06:03 pm
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/01/it-was-an-open-secret/549653/

Quote:
They know. They could act. And they don’t. The failure of responsibility starts with Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan, but it doesn’t end with them. Every member of a bloc-voting majority shares responsibility for not acting on their version of the open secret. “Independent” Republicans like Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski share it. “Thoughtful” ones, like Ben Sasse and Jeff Flake. Those (in addition to Flake) who have nothing to lose electorally, from Bob Corker to Orrin Hatch. When they vote as a majority against strong investigations, against subpoenas, against requirements for financial disclosure, and most of all against protecting Robert Mueller and his investigation, they share complicity in the open secret.

We are watching the political equivalent of the Weinstein board paying off the objects of his abuse. We are watching Fox pay out its tens of millions to O’Reilly’s victims. But we’re watching it in real time, with the secret shared worldwide, and the stakes immeasurably higher.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 07:15 pm
@revelette1,
It's not a novel legal strategy. The goal is to intimidate through the threat of heavy legal fees to defend against the claims in the suit.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 07:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Trump is world-famous for only making claims with verified sources, and how to libel is something totally unknown to him.
This President is a shining example
Ain't he though.
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 07:24 pm
Have the Clintons given an interview about their recent house fire?

0 Replies

BillW

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 07:32 pm
Universal truth to the Right (including SCOTUS righties) if a Republican does, it can't be wrong! Not the law, not the action - just the fact it is a Repuklian! A Dem or traitor would still be prosecuted and convicted for much less.........
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 07:46 pm
Trump and Kobach aren't just going to drop the "voter fraud" propaganda line because it is the main tool in their kit to disenfranchise likely Dem voters. Here's a likely reason they are now acting as they are:
Quote:
On December 22, a federal judge ruled in Dunlap’s favor, ordering Kobach to give the Democrat more access to the panel’s records. Dunlap says he is still awaiting the documents.

“The Federal Advisory Committee Act is quite clear that this is supposed to be a transparent, open process that welcomes perspectives from across the political spectrum, and we weren’t doing any of that,” Dunlap said. “When I filed the suit, [Kobach] said the suit was baseless. Well, the federal judge disagreed.”

After the December order, Dunlap said he suspected that Kobach would choose to terminate the commission rather than involve the four Democrats.
TP

I should add that I don't yet understand the significance of the "voter fraud" commission moving to Homeland Security.
layman

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 08:06 pm
Quote:
Comey leaked classified information to professor pal

Grassley and his staff reviewed the Comey memos which were “created purportedly memorializing his interactions with President Trump.” They did so in a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) at the FBI and the Senate, because the FBI deemed the “majority of the memos” to be “classified.”

"Of the seven memos, four are marked classified at the 'SECRET'or 'CONFIDENTIAL' levels," Grassley wrote, adding that "only three did not contain classified information.”

“FBI personnel refused to answer factual questions during the document reviews, including questions about the chain of custody of the documents I was reviewing, the dates that they were marked classified, and who marked them classified,” Grassley wrote.

The Justice Department told Fox News Thursday that they would not “confirm or deny investigations,” and declined further comment.

Uhh, that's a felony, Jimbo.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 08:32 pm
Democrats always go wild about any talk about a "right to work" for a reason, eh?

Quote:
Big unions sent over $1B in dues to Dem groups without member approval

A report from the Center for Union Facts (CUF) showed that a total of more than $1.1 billion in member dues was sent to groups such as the Democratic Governors Association, Planned Parenthood and the Clinton Foundation from unions including the AFL-CIO, IBEW, UNITE HERE and many others.

“For decades, union officials have betrayed working Americans by spending their dues dollars to advance a left-wing political agenda—without prior approval,” Luka Ladan, spokesman for the Center for Union Facts, told Fox News. “Big Labor is now the ATM of the Democratic Party, whether employees agree or not.”
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 09:08 pm
OK, here's some reporting on the "voter fraud" commission's work moving to Homeland Security
Quote:
Dunlap said it may be premature to celebrate the demise of the commission, given Trump’s announcement that Homeland Security would pick up the work. The department, he said, could angle to change regulations affecting driver’s licenses and other matters affecting voting without as much public scrutiny. “I think people who are saying ‘the witch is dead’ should be very alarmed by this move,” he said. “I think that’s very dangerous.”
WP
0 Replies