monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:22 pm
@revelette1,
It is a vile crowd. You likely saw the Trump quote about Roger Stone I posted a day or two ago? Same viciousness from Trump towards another vicious creature. But what made that one so completely ridiculous was Trump (of all people) indicting Stone for trying to take credit for things he had no significant part in bringing about.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 03:44 pm
@layman,
I'll elaborate on this a little for ya, Rev, but not too much. I don't wanna do your homework for ya. That would be like cheating you.

The "special" and "independent counsel" laws have been tinkered with many times over the years--usually in response to the latest fiasco that developed after one was appointed.

Traditionally, these guys have gone far afield. In response, Congress passed some revisions which were designed to strictly limit the authority that could be delegated to a special counsel--in terms of both scope and subject matter. Those laws required any appointment (by Rosenstein in this case) to contain a high degree of specificity and to be limited strictly to the issue in question. Rosenstein probably failed in that regard, and, in so doing, exceeded his authority to even appoint special counsel.

Put another way, there is a good argument that both the appointment and the investigation (as it relates to the charges brought against Mamafort) are illegal.

In such circumstances (like when an ilegal search/seizure has occurred) the evidence gets thrown out and generally the whole case with it.
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:04 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Put another way, there is a good argument that both the appointment and the investigation (as it relates to the charges brought against Mamafort) are illegal.

In such circumstances (like when an ilegal search/seizure has occurred) the evidence gets thrown out and generally the whole case with it.

It is quite common for a search warrant, which had been approved and issued by a judge, to be completely invalidated after issuance because the scope of the search authorized was "overbroad."
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

It is quite common for a search warrant, which had been approved and issued by a judge, to be completely invalidated after issuance because the scope of the search authorized was "overbroad."

The (bad) argument you and Blathy made was along the lines of: "You can't invalidate a search warrant. If you do that then you can never search for anything and can never convict anyone."

It's funny how quick untrained and completely uninformed people in this forum are to announce that professional bottom-feeders (like Manafort has) don't understand the law and have no legal grounds for their claims, eh? Typical for a know-it-all blowhard, of course, but still.....

Nice try, cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:16 pm
@blatham,
The Huck also said Bannon and Trump had never sat down together ... followed by a twitter rush of photos. Almost as good as the analysis when she posted pix of her baking and shooting.
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Her father is a Holy Man and she is a Holy Woman. I'm sure she's constrained from lying because honesty is a prime tenet of her faith and the act of bearing false witness is a Top Ten sin.

Still, why say something so easily disproved? Probably because she and her handlers were unprepared for this and because they understand that most of the Fox audience will not see those photos. And of course, because they understand that the Fox audience no longer have working brains.
BillW

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Michelle Bachmann is seeking guidance from God. Should she run for the seat vacated by Al Franken?
Quote:
“I didn’t shed a tear when I left the [presidential] contest because I fulfilled the calling God gave me, so the question is, am I being called to do this now? I don’t know.”
RWW

For the love of God, God, tell her to run!

I blame you blatham, that made me throw up - and, not just a little bit in my mouth either! and, believe me, she has never heard a word from the deity, God - she corresponds to another!
blatham

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:44 pm
@BillW,
Sincerest apologies.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Paul Manafort, took the unusual step on Wednesday of suing the special counsel and asking a federal court to narrow his authority.
I'm definitely not a lawyer familiar with relevant laws here. But I can't imagine it's a viable position if only because anyone under investigation could mount a similar challenge thus inhibiting investigation of precisely the areas where serious guilt is involved.

At the very least, this could get interesting and go all the way to the SCOTUS!

I could see a court declaring that he (Manafort) doesn't have standing to the Special Counsel with these charges because they are causal findings from the investgation and brought forward by a Grand Jury (I hope?).........
0 Replies

layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:49 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Jesus. This book seems likely to create waves.

Edit: I suppose we could note that there's not much in that reporting which hasn't been advanced or postulated here.

Sho nuff!!! This is big-ass news!!

What a coincidence that some guy with a history of being accused of making up quotes and who is lookin to make a shitload of money sellin some books, just "happens" to say **** that cheese-eaters here have "already postulated" (without basis or evidence), eh?

The Blues Brothers played country music when they stumbled into a gig at a redneck bar, eh? Quite a coincidence that they gave their audience exactly what they wanted to hear.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:54 pm
@blatham,
Until #45 and his squad started responding, that book could have sunk nicely. Their responses gave the excerpts weight. Way to bring attention to something.

__

Right now I'm fascinated by the Breitbart/Fox squabbling. Can't figure out where some of the ex-Breitbarters are falling. Not sure they're sure either.
BillW

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 04:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Until #45 and his squad started responding, that book could have sunk nicely. Their responses gave the excerpts weight. Way to bring attention to something.

__

Right now I'm fascinated by the Breitbart/Fox squabbling. Can't figure out where some of the ex-Breitbarters are falling. Not sure they're sure either.

This is right smack in the middle of tRump's base. At least 15-20% is Breitbarters and Bannon is their prophet. Will the split happen now?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:09 pm
Well, surprise, surprise, eh?

Quote:
DNC deputy chair Keith Ellison signals support for Antifa

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., the deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee, caused a stir on social media Wednesday when he posed with a book promoting the violent "Antifa" movement.

In a post on Twitter, Ellison said that he found the book "Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook" at a Minneapolis book shop and said it would "strike fear in the heart of @realDonaldTrump."

Washington Free Beacon reporter Alex Griswold pointed out that Ellison was endorsing a book "that advocates for violence in the streets"

Since Trump's election as president, Antifa activists have initiated violent clashes on college campuses and at other gatherings.

The FBI and DHS consider Antifa a domestic terrorist organization.

[Some users on] Twitter responded approvingly to Ellison's post, with one user writing, "ugh why is he not in charge of the dnc."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSpO0wSXcAMPvjw.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:56 pm
Another tRump frivolous action:

tRump lawyers send Bannon a letter of a 'Cease and Desist' order to stop making disparaging remarks about tRump and his family. Any action by tRump to act against Bannon would make everything Bannon knows on record in a public hearing and gives it gravitas as being truth. Such a moron.......

Lawyers announce, legal action is eminent - teehee! Yeah, Right! Sabre rattling at best.....
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 3 Jan, 2018 11:38 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Similar rationale. Her candidacy will once again make evident to more Americans how startlingly insane modern movement conservatives tend to be. I want her to be on TV a lot. I want her to open her mouth a lot. I want Trump to campaign for her.

That required smarts to figure out?! Laughing

Yes, I suppose I can see why... it's soooo diabolically deceptive! So subtle in its malevolence Rolling Eyes

It's also precisely what so many Democrats and liberals were absolutely certain Trump taking center stage would accomplish, and all he managed to do was win the White House. Some of the most satisfying web content in a long while consists of the compilations of series of numerous video clips in which snarky media talking heads such as the Don Lemon and the CNN Crew and Hollywood A-Listers like George Clooney and Tom Hanks, mock the very notion that Trump could ever possibly become our president. I imagine the clips got a lot of play time in Trump Tower during the leadup to the inauguration and who could blame Trump and his family if such was the case? There are few things more satisfying whether experienced directly or vicariously than making your critics eat their mockery and look like fools.

Although I voted for him in 1976, I was never a huge fan of Jimmy Carter and I remain convinced that he stands tall among the worst presidents our nation ever suffered through, but there was one moment during his bid for the Democratic nomination when I like him very much and I made up my mind to vote for him. I really can't recall the exact circumstances and searches for some recognition of it on the internet have proved fruitless but what I do recollect is Carter being told by some smug SOB that he couldn't possibly believe that he could win the nomination, let alone the presidency; that there was no way on earth that a horse-faced, born-again peanut farmer from the Old South was going to win. While the memory is generally vague, I do vividly recall Carter leaning towards his dismissive, critic and with his toothy smile saying very quietly, but firmly "Oh but I shall."

There was nothing of the pious Evangelical in it. It wasn't a statement of confidence based on any assurance he may have received from God or angels or anything to do with his religious faith. It did, however, have everything to do with his faith in Jimmy Carter (If Jimmy waged battles with his vices it wasn't the lust in heart that gave him the most trouble, it had to be his pride, his enormous ego) and observing that grin on his face I knew that "Oh, but I shall," was probably the closest he would ever come to saying aloud what he really meant "Just watch me asshole!" It cinched the deal for me and I always imagined that Carter savored his memory of that moment when Ford conceded and he knew he had won.

It is that making your critics eat their mockery which I addressed in my comment to you and which led to your pompous nonsense about the smarter folks being able to perceive the wit & wisdom of blatham.

I've been giving you way too much credit Bernie. I was actually anticipating in this response a clever twist on the obvious, but instead, you delivered precisely what it was clear you meant in the first instance. Oh, you maintained your effort to dress it up as some insightful observation, spending more than half your space on belaboring your Romney comment when you knew it was the crack about Bachman that drew my comment. At least you should have known and would easily have done so if you weren't wrapped up in your new role in this forum; rewarding the acolytes with a rhetorical pat on the head and a clucking "Such a smart boy!"

Your obsessive, quixotic crusade against Trump and modern movement conservatives seems to have taken the edge off a once very sharp wit. It's a shame.

wmwcjr

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 12:19 am
It sure gets personal around here. Sad!
layman

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 12:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
....a once very sharp wit. It's a shame.

I aint never seen that, Finn. Blathy strikes me as just a run-of-the-mill dullard, I'm afraid. I guess I'm too new to this forum to know.

I guess that devoting oneself to parroting a rigid ideology has a strong tendency to destroy all original, creative, and meaningful thought.
layman

Thu 4 Jan, 2018 12:23 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

It sure gets personal around here. Sad!

The more personal, the more better, eh, Bill!?
0 Replies